3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Metabolic adaptation? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/293743-metabolic-adaptation.html)

JohnP 03-14-2014 04:59 PM

Occam's Razor people ...

There could be large number of reasons to explain how you have lost 1 lb in three weeks. All of them are exceedingly unlikely.

Are you a metabolic miracle? Are your food choices radically affecting your caloric burn? Nope and Nope.

What is most likely is that you're retaining water, and due for a woosh soon.

Fat loss is not the same as weight loss.

laciemn 03-14-2014 09:17 PM

Stopquitting, yes, metabolic adjustment is mostly a myth. The study that popularized the concept was based on people who were at a large caloric deficit for around 3 months or so. The metabolic rate of the group only dropped a little considering how little they were eating. I don't have a link to the study, but suffice it to say that any drop in metabolism will probably be insignificant, and your deprivation would have to be at some point extremely uncomfortable. It is unlikely that a normal dieter would go into "starvation mode" or what have you unintentionally.

As for expecting more weight loss, well, any time you are losing weight quickly, expect most of it to be water. There's no getting around a pound = 3500 calories, so in order to lose one pound, you'd have to operate at a 500 calorie daily deficit for a full week. My base metabolism is around 1500, so I'd have to eat about 1000 calories per day to lose 1 lbs a week. It is nothing to scoff at, and real fat loss takes TIME and a lot of it.

hhm6 03-15-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4963366)
Occam's Razor people ...

There could be large number of reasons to explain how you have lost 1 lb in three weeks. All of them are exceedingly unlikely.

Are you a metabolic miracle? Are your food choices radically affecting your caloric burn? Nope and Nope.

What is most likely is that you're retaining water, and due for a woosh soon.

Fat loss is not the same as weight loss.

ha! I was hoping you would respond to this thread!! Give it sometime stopquitting!

JohnP 03-15-2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondgeog (Post 4962713)
Grains, especially wheat can mess up a person's metabolism.

Care to explain this?

diamondgeog 03-15-2014 08:06 AM

Click on the picture in this link. https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-carbs-make-you-fat

Basically when you are eating too many carbs you have too much insulin much too often. When insulin is present fat in the meals will get stored as fat.

The theory worked to a T for me. I was always hungry on too many carbs primarily form wheat and I was a fat storage machine. Extremely high triglycerides. Stopped the wheat, belly fat plummeted, recently hit 34 inch waist from a 48 in May. Weight plummeted. Triglycerides in blood work really plummeted.

William Davis and others argue modern wheat in particular has some inadvertent genetic changes that make it even more addicting than before and more damaging to metabolism.

This is why calorie counting and not changing macro percentages rarely work. People have an impaired metabolism with too much insulin being produced. Their bodies are going to store and hold onto fat almost no matter what. The good news is if you stop the surges of insulin your body can repair and start burning fat. This is exactly what happened to me.

JohnP 03-15-2014 06:32 PM

Satiety has nothing to do with metabolism.

If you have any evidence that eating wheat slows down someone's BMR lets see it. Otherwise you're just confusing people.

No doubt, a insulin resistant person will do better on a low carb diet and they may even burn more calories on a low carb diet but this is not their BMR.

Also, the link you provided I honestly thought you were making a joke and the link was a satire about the rediculous notions that some low carb people subsribe to. Then I realized that it was serious. Believe it or not you can be a fan of low carb dieting without the bad information and zealotry.

diamondgeog 03-15-2014 07:04 PM

I focused on the infographic. It is a great summary and I feel of vital importance to many people.

Sure there are a lot of factors. But frankly JohnP people are dying because they are afraid of saturated fats, are using extremely harmful vegetable oils, and eating too many sugar/carbs from grains, drinks, and starchy veggies.

Insulin resistance to some degree is very common. America went low fat high carbs and its been a disaster.

And please tell me what is incorrect on the infographic.

NightAngel26 03-15-2014 07:26 PM

well....

I can only chime in on my experience with this...I'm generally on a "slow carb" diet except I too have yogurt sometimes and that's questionable on this type. It looks as if you're going extremely low cal with moderate protein. From my research here's what it looks like:

1. Some veggies are very high carb, esp orange and yellow...also peas for some reason...these will not really help.... converts wrong I guess. Dark green is most diet friendly, really any diet, except maybe fruit diets.

2. if you cut out carbs, or lower extremely your body will need something to facilitate fat burn, it will use muscle if it doesn't think it's getting what it needs.... might sound strange but a lot of people up protein and fat to cover this. These burn better or according to low carb they do.

3. I've seen a definite slow down when going low carb and low cal even with fat and protein if under a certain amount of calories. For you, the level you're at could be it but I weigh a good deal more so mine looks like about 1,000 or less. I have been countering with occasional high carb days....relative success but dangerous tactic for binge eaters.

4. Addressing grain- it could maybe slow things down, I didn't check the carb/sugar content in your item but really if your overall day is low you might be fine unless you're intolerant- just like sugar, carbs cause insulin hikes, wheat might cause something.... reaction perhaps. Notably though more people seem to have trouble with soy.

Anywho...my two cents...I'd say chances are your diet is fine but you might need something to get it to stop "starvation mode" where it tries to hang on to everything because...yes you are depriving it since you're intake is less than maintenance. Maybe lil more fat perhaps? olive oil? oh kudos for vitamins that helps a lil when in this mode.

yoyoma 03-15-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondgeog (Post 4963991)

I'm not John, but the infographic is derived from Taube's book, "Why We Get Fat" (see attribution at the bottom), which is pretty shaky in some of its science. Here's a pretty good criticism of Taube's work:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...f-obesity.html

And here's a critical book review:
http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/01...e-get-fat.html

Both of these critics are generally supportive of low-carb approaches (as am I).

freelancemomma 03-15-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyoma (Post 4964007)
I'm not John, but the infographic is derived from Taube's book, "Why We Get Fat" (see attribution at the bottom), which is pretty shaky in some of its science. Here's a pretty good criticism of Taube's work:http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...f-obesity.html.

Thanks for the link, Yoyo. The paragraph below (taken from the link) could have been taken out of my brain. It's exactly what I find myself thinking when I hear yet one more claim that "insulin causes the body to store fat, rather than burn it."

F.

<<If you eat a meal of 500 calories of carbohydrate, you will burn that carbohydrate under the direction of insulin, which will also make sure body fat mostly stays inside your fat cells during the process. If you eat a meal of 500 calories of fat, you will burn fat instead of carbohydrate, but since you just ate fat, you aren't dipping into your body fat stores any more than you were when you ate carbohydrate. So even though insulin temporarily suppresses fat burning and the release of fat from fat cells when you eat carbohydrate, at the end of the day if you ate the same number of calories you end up with the same amount of fat in your fat cells either way. You now know more about insulin than many popular diet gurus.>>

Pattience 03-15-2014 08:53 PM

People who have got the to the point of being insulin resistant or diabetic have got there by overeating, not by overeating grains. A lot of these people overeat refined carbs as well as high fat. I do not think the the dietary advice for people who have got themselves into that state should be applied to people who still have not buggered up their systems that much.

Also i've been reading around trying to understand the whole insulin argument that is used in low carb diets and in the course of that i read more about leptin, dubbed the hunger hormone and this morning an excellent article on seratonin which is a major mood hormone. I myself have started to recognise the importance of my maintaining my mood to manage my appetite. And this article helps a lot with the mechanisms.

I would urge people to try to learn about these while at the same time, realising that there is still a lot that is not known or understood about them.

And even in excellent articles i find, you need to be able to think through some of the things that are said carefully because you can easily find yourself emerging with a bit of confusion or misunderstanding. But do read.

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2009/...food-and-mood/

The site is worth scouring, and the stuff i've been talking about is found in the drop down menu, MAJOR ISSUES and then UNDERSTANDING OUR BODIES

I think this article i posted addresses the matter of the problem of the OP. She should read it and the leptin ones. Though what i'm not sure about the leptin ones is how long the changes last. A key point with leptin and seratonin unlike the insulin matter is that negative changes are not permanent. Even the leptin resistance problem doesn't appear to be permanent if i've understood it correctly.

I think its important the OP read these because her calories are low and if continues eating so low, she will get the rebound effect of increased appetite where suddenly her appetite will start to increase and she will put on any weight she's lost plus more. Also i think these articles address the sleepy thing she's experienced - see the seratonin article.

NJ_Desi_Guy 03-15-2014 09:51 PM

How do I increase my base metabolic rate?

Is BMR genetic? can it be modified?

JohnP 03-16-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondgeog (Post 4963991)
I focused on the infographic. It is a great summary and I feel of vital importance to many people.

Sure there are a lot of factors. But frankly JohnP people are dying because they are afraid of saturated fats, are using extremely harmful vegetable oils, and eating too many sugar/carbs from grains, drinks, and starchy veggies.

Insulin resistance to some degree is very common. America went low fat high carbs and its been a disaster.

You should write for a magazine. The way you combine hyperbole and hysteria is pure poetry.

We've had a very similar conversation in the past and all I can say is that I urge you to stop reading information on the web that already confirms what you believe and instead go read stuff from Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald.

America's obesity problem is multifactoral.

What is wrong with the infographic? Almost everything.

1) Carbs are killing you! - Wrong and frankly the reason I thought this was a joke at first.

2) Eating fat doesn't make you fat. - Misleading and wrong. When calories are available for storage fat is stored.

3) We've reduced our fat intake. - Not true. As a percentage of our diet it has gone down but we never actually reduced our fat intake.

4) It's not your fault. - I don't completely disagree with it but at the same time I hate this kind of statement because I am a big believer in personal responsibility.

5) Diets rich in carbohydrates have been secretly storing fat. Wrong. Our fat gain as a group and as individuals has hardly been a secret.

6) You begin secreting insulin (by thinking about food) - Completely misleading and essentially false. If this were even remotely true you would have people dropping dead all the time due to diabetic shock. Same thing about diet soda. If it released insulin people on empty stomachs would be dropping like flies after drinking a diet coke.

I can keep going. The rest is misleading at best.

I am still a low carb proponent. While I am not a big fan of Taubes he has done more than anyone to help people realize that fat is not the enemy. Sadly he did so by creating another scapegoat.

Obesity is a multifactoral problem. The media loves to sell media so it makes headlines and right now sugar is the big headline grabber. Not too long ago it was fructose.

Back to the point. The OP, if being honest about everything, is simply holding onto water. It's not a hormone issue. It's not a metabolic issue.

Pattience 03-16-2014 12:32 AM

John, wouldn't it be helpful to the OP if you could explain how and why she's holding on to water.

Her diet is not that high in salt is it to cause a high water retention? She's not doing that much exercise to cause muscle inflammation which might cause water retention.

of course as her muscles are growing she is certainly holding more liquid energy stores in the form of glycogen but It still seems mysterious to me why she the scales are not showing a greater loss.

Most people who start out on a diet rapidly lose all that excess water weight. Why isn't this girl?

Pattience 03-16-2014 01:07 AM

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2010/...odies-insulin/

I finally found a good article on insulin relevant to all of us overweighters.