3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Wore size 12 @ 172lbs, now sz 6@165 lbs WTH? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/292777-wore-size-12-%40-172lbs-now-sz-6%40165-lbs-wth.html)

kimmieval 02-13-2014 10:35 PM

Wore size 12 @ 172lbs, now sz 6@165 lbs WTH?

This forum gave me the support I needed in 2010 to lose over 44 lbs. I went from 172 to 128 and kept off 30-35 lbs until 2013 when I had to start taking prednisone (steroid) and cymbalta. I came off both but my weight shot up and since then I have been finding it difficult to stabilize my weight. I do have health issues but nothing that explains gaining 4 lbs in one week. I am having swollen legs so hubby things some of my weight is water retention.

What is mind boggling though is that as a pear shaped 5 ft 4 inch curvy gal , I wore US size 10/12 when I weighed 172 lbs but at 165 lbs I wear small/size 6 (just getting into size 8 pants for some brands). Does 7 lbs make that much of a difference? Or is my weight really off given my leg swelling?

My hope is to do what worked the last time and move from my current 165 lbs to 135 lbs within 6 months by counting calories and upping my exercise. Let's see how this one goes.

hhm6 02-13-2014 10:49 PM

Wow thats' pretty awesome! I lost 25lbs and haven't gone down a size yet! Ive heard people on here mention vanity sizing? Are you buying the clothes at the same store?

Oh a side note, I've been given prednisone but never ended up filling the prescription had no idea weight gain was a side effect. Coming back here is always the best step for me, good luck with your journey, I think your plan sounds great!

magical 02-13-2014 11:29 PM

That's amazing!

I'm wearing a size 10 AU, which is a US size 6, although 6 is loose for me especially pants/jeans. What I do notice is that if I buy from US clothing stores that have outlets in AU, I will purchase an XS or even XXS (which is like a 4 or 2 I think?) because the sizes are significantly larger than a standard 6 in AU sizes. Does this make sense? Lol. It could be vanity sizing or you may have lost more inches than you think :)

shcirerf 02-13-2014 11:43 PM

I'm 5'5", 140 pounds, and given, small town shopping, I'm a 12, 10 if I'm lucky.

I've also done some shopping in bigger places.

*deep sigh*

Sometimes smaller, some bigger.

It's not about the tag, it's about how you feel!:D:D

dstalksalot 02-14-2014 12:57 AM

For comparison, I'm 5'3.5 138 and size US 6-8.

If you are lifting weights that could be the difference for you. A pound of muscle is smaller and more dense than fat.

kimmieval 02-14-2014 08:41 AM

Hi All

I am buying the same brand- I have the jeans in size 4 and 6. I buy at the same stores and always stay within the same brand as with my curvy hips only certain brand fit me. In Calvin Klein jeans for instance I am now a size 8 whereas I have always been a size 6.

I also buy lots of summer dresses at Ross over the years and I am still buying size small unless it is a peplum dress where I go to size medium/sz 8 but then the bust is way to large for me as my bra size is 34 B/C (32 C according to the measurement at Hanes lol).

Not sure what is happening as I am still wearing jeans and church sheath dresses I bought at 145 lbs. #thinking

pnkrckpixikat 02-14-2014 01:47 PM

You are probably a lot more muscular now than when you were 172 before. Before you worked on losing were you exercising? My bet is probably not so you lost a lot of fat and gained muscle over the years causing you to be physically smaller now even at a weight close to your start weight. It also may be distributing differently, in your lower legs, or arms or whatnot and not in your torso.

Trail Runner 02-14-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shcirerf (Post 4943483)
I'm 5'5", 140 pounds, and given, small town shopping, I'm a 12, 10 if I'm lucky.

Me too! I always feel like I should be able to wear a smaller pants size at this weight, but I carry everything in the stomach area.

And at my highest weight, I was only in a 14. Riddle me that.

Bellamack 02-14-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Runner (Post 4944025)
Me too! I always feel like I should be able to wear a smaller pants size at this weight, but I carry everything in the stomach area.

And at my highest weight, I was only in a 14. Riddle me that.

I am the same. :)

literacyqueen 02-14-2014 08:40 PM

This happened to me while I was at the gym for a year. Sometimes i am so thrilled because i think i am a certain size then i try on something and it is too small almost saying that there have been little or no changes in my clothes size.

kimmieval 02-20-2014 10:37 AM

I think that is where I differ from most as I have thick legs and not much stomach. I do realize that after coming off steroids that my weight was slightly redistributed and my weight seems centered in my lower half.

I also do note that I am not as flabby as I was when I was the same weight last time around so maybe the poster is right that my fat/muscle ratio is probably different this time around.

Oh well, I have started walking about 1 1/2 miles each day as apart from swimming that is the only low-impact exercise I am allowed to do- no cardio ;(

I am trying to find a yoga or pilates class however so let's see how that goes.

alaskanlaughter 02-20-2014 05:21 PM

alot depends on the brand....i am in the 180s-190s and 5 foot 4...i wear a large in some pant sizes, mediums in others and in some, a size small/4-6 which i find ridiculous....in NO WAY do i realistically wear a size 4-6 but apparently in that brand, i do...i think it's cascade sports yoga pants...i also wear a size small in Hanes Her Way sweatpants which i find odd...it also depends on if i'm shopping in Juniors, Misses or Womens sections of the store or even the Plus section

kimmieval 02-27-2014 02:44 PM

Turns out I am retaining fluids and have lipomas (dense fatty lumps under my skin). We estimate I am carrying at least another 5-10 lbs because of that.
Re vanity sizes, I am sure that is not the case. I can walk into any store and choose small-medium tops and small - medium bottoms.

I am now walking 30 minutes 5 days X week and spinning 10 minutes 3 X a week (restricted exercise because of health). I am also adjusting my eating so we will see

Waterbunny77 02-28-2014 10:33 PM

I'm like one of the other posters. It will take a loss of about 25 lbs. before I can go a size down, in pants anyway. I'm currently in a size 18 and trying to get to a 16, the difference is quite large on me :hug:

BettyBooty 03-04-2014 01:36 PM

When I was 165, I was wearing a medium or large top and a size 10 pants. A size 14 dress. I have a thick/athletic build with broad shoulders. I *might* be a size 6 at my goal weight, but not at 165 unless some serious vanity sizing was going on.