3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How strict are you with condiments? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/292538-how-strict-you-condiments.html)

Larry H 02-07-2014 12:12 PM

I don't eat avocado. Not because I think they are good or bad for you it is because no matter how often I try them I do not like their flavor.

Mrs Snark 02-07-2014 02:14 PM

Larry -I'm pretty sure that, in the cosmic scheme of things, I eat my share AND your share of avocados (and 2 or 3 more people's shares as well), so the world is balancing itself out by having you dislike them. :)

I put avocado on breakfast toast the way other people use jam. nom nom nom

Palestrina 02-07-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry H (Post 4938536)
I don't eat avocado. Not because I think they are good or bad for you it is because no matter how often I try them I do not like their flavor.

I used to feel that exact same way about avocado! I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. But then one day it just clicked and I started loving it. The same thing happened with bananas, sushi, duck, salads, blueberries and hummus. I could literally eat sushi every day.

nelie 02-07-2014 04:16 PM

I eat up to 1 avocado every day.

Arctic Mama 02-07-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 4938195)
I add avocado :)

Avocado makes everything better :carrot:

hhm6 02-07-2014 05:01 PM

Larry- I read that online as well! I wonder what it is? I have stopped using Prego and I feel a lot better.

Avocados, don't really do much for me. I honestly eat them because my mom swears one day I'll change my mind, they aren't gross but the taste doesn't have much appeal to me.

I think I'm going to invest in some good measuring spoons and measure out everything just to see how it goes. I usually eyeball it, and I know I've done that before and neglected adding about 500 cals into my food diary (pretty awful estimations on my end!)

I think from all the sauces, creamers might be the hardest for me. Drinking the hazelnut creamers with my coffee satisfies my sweet tooth and helps me when I'm studying. But I know the creamer + salad dressing could probably be a lot more volume in food (calories wise) I guess I have to pick my battles one at a time.

I'm definitely trying to yogurt + salsa combo that sounds amazing!

Arctic Mama 02-07-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4938683)
I used to feel that exact same way about avocado! I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. But then one day it just clicked and I started loving it. The same thing happened with bananas, sushi, duck, salads, blueberries and hummus. I could literally eat sushi every day.

You and me, both. I grew up in avocado country and used to dislike them. Then I tried them again as an adult, with salt, and fell in love. Now I can eat half an avocado per day and that's limiting myself :o

Sushi... One of the very, very few foods I miss in going low carb and grain free. Once per year, on my birthday, I usually go for epic amounts of good sushi as my 'cheat' meal. That, and cold stone icecream cakes :D. And then I spend a week losing he water weight from all that!

hhm6 02-07-2014 05:04 PM

This is a little off topic, but do any of you indulge in sweet things to satisfy a craving?? Sometimes I want something sweet (I stay away from citrus fruits bc of my reactions) but what about shelf items?

Like those 100 cal packs? I want to buy them when I see them, but I feel like I'll be "reminded" of the flavor and crave more. Dark chocolate? I've seen organic options everywhere but they're so high in calories, I'd never lose weight!

nelie 02-07-2014 05:12 PM

I buy dark chocolate bars and at one point, I had some every night. Dark chocolate is pretty rich so you only need a little. I'd eat 50 to 100 calories worth. I have it occasionally now but I always keep dark chocolate in the house in case I want a little treat.

IonMoon 02-07-2014 05:14 PM

I love to make my own dressings & sauces (my favorite lately goes well with this thread: avocado and greek yogurt with some spices) but don't have much time... so usually just splash on some fig infused balsamic vinegar I found and am addicted to. I find if I put enough interesting stuff on the salad and a little of this vinegar, I am happy.

BUT you can work dressing in if that is what you want. Just account for the calories and measure because a little dressing can add a lot of calories!

I gave up on most dressings when I realized that I had the same calories in the chicken breast on my plate as in the spoonful of dressing on the salad!

I have found some dressings that are low-fat and healthier, but still good. I like Newman's own balsamic vinaigrette. Just read labels and try things.

kelijpa 02-07-2014 07:58 PM

hhm6 I started measuring my creamer, I love the stuff, even though for a long time I just used half and half, not sue why I got into the sweet stuff, anyway, I started measuring my creamer and have gotten down to one tablespoon in my coffee, so back to not so sweet, sometimes is use a tbsp. of creamer and a tbsp. of half and half.

Some treats that might satisfy the sweet tooth, mini tootsie rolls, Hershey's kiss, they make dark chocolate ones, mini York peppermint patties.

best to you :sunny:

GlamourGirl827 02-07-2014 09:56 PM

I am eating clean as well, or at least as clean as I can! I make my own dressing. Spoonful of plain greek yogurt, a little dijon mustard, some garlic powder and salt...oh an a little little bit of water just to thin it out...whisk it and its like ranch dressing...if I'm not adding avocados to my salad I will *** EVOO tothe dressing to get that healthly fat. I also use various vinager and such... I just google all these ideas, many ideas on line for clean, sugar free dressings. No more bottled stuff, its too loaded with sugar and such. I dont measure now as I'm still far from goal, but as I get closer I will be more mindful of how much I'm using.

IanG 02-07-2014 09:59 PM

I can't eat avocado or hummus.

I used to eat a tub of hummus and guacamole a day with my salad as part of my diet until I hit 170lbs. Then they stalled me out. So they had to go. I replaced them with scrambled eggs.

Then the eggs had to go...

Long story.

So all my fat comes from oily fish. Nice.

Sasha29 02-07-2014 11:26 PM

With regards to salad dressing, try apple cider vinegar. If it's too strong, you can dilute it with water. Olive oil and coconut oil are also good, if that fits with your plan. My weaknesses are ranch dressing and BBQ sauce, but I do Atkins, so I work those in.

Arctic Mama 02-08-2014 03:54 AM

For sweets, I do dark chocolate. Usually somewhere between 8-20 grams, which is a prett small amount but enough to scratch the itch. I'll also do some frozen berries, or a coffe drink sweetened with stevia and sucralose, or even guzzle some diluted Crystal Lite. For special/rare occasions I'll make homemade, plan appropriate desserts like low carb icecream.

My daily dose of sweet comes from my coffee and dark chocolate and yes, it's about 200-250 calories between those two, but well worth it to factor into my eating. It hits the spots, satiates me, and keeps me from feeling deprived. That combo is really crucial since I've been doing this for half a decade and will continue for the rest of my life!