Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Donnelly View Post
lol, yeah, what is that? I have yet to be able to walk into a store and identify from the ingredients the attributes I'm looking for for what is healthy. I am not paying for something just because it SAYS the word "healthy" or "organic" on it and that is exactly what I think is going on in marketing these days. While still eating bread, I was always on the lookout for something labeled "whole wheat bread" that still seemed to actually be WW when I read the ingredients. Much easier for me to just give up the bread altogether, even the "bread" substitutes that some people make.
Healthy grains are generally considered those that are unprocessed/minimally processed and include pseudo grains. Brown rice, kamut, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, millet, rye, oats, etc.

As for bread, when I first started, my rule was only 5 ingredients or less. Then I switched to sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel 5:9 but now I make my own bread.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #32  
diamondgeog

Yoyoma I would point out that if you were eating as big portions as frequently of 'bad' foods you likely would have gotten a lot bigger than 180.

In the 200s, possibly even 300s.

Mad I agree with you. There is nothing I know of so nutritionally essential in grains that, to me, make it worth 'healthy grains'. My personal journey to health was very much aided when I finally gave up whole grains.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #33  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I'm heavy because I grew up in a household that loved to Cook and eat. Neither of my parents were overweight (nor are they now, really) and my grandmother was a true beauty who knew how to make the best food ever. Julia Child couldn't hold a candle to my Nona's cooking, haha. So, I grew up loving food. I don't emotionally eat or anything, I just love good food (and the 'good food' that's bad for you!)

When I was in school all the way through my undergrad I wasn't fat, just solid and an althelet. When I left school and stopped playing is where I ran (or rather, didn't run) into trouble. I need to move more and eat less, I know the equations and the nutrition (drilled into me from coaches and nutritionists) but I just suck at follow through.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Healthy grains are generally considered those that are unprocessed/minimally processed and include pseudo grains. Brown rice, kamut, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, millet, rye, oats, etc.

As for bread, when I first started, my rule was only 5 ingredients or less. Then I switched to sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel 5:9 but now I make my own bread.
I think my question was more rhetorical. I know what those things are supposed to be, but I am not sure there's any inherently "healthy" foods despite the way we throw that word around.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #35  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Donnelly View Post
I think my question was more rhetorical. I know what those things are supposed to be, but I am not sure there's any inherently "healthy" foods despite the way we throw that word around.
Well in terms of healthy, nothing would be healthy if it was the only thing eaten. I think healthy is fine as long as we understand that you can have a balanced diet and an imbalanced diet. Lots of people have successfully included whole grains into their weight loss plans, others prefer to heavily limit/eliminate. It is finding what works for you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #36  

I'm only addicted to WHOLE WHEAT bread, white bread doesn't really trigger any cravings for me. Is that weird?!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 222/124/?

I wasn't honest with myself at all about what I was eating and how much.
CrabNebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Yoyoma I would point out that if you were eating as big portions as frequently of 'bad' foods you likely would have gotten a lot bigger than 180.

In the 200s, possibly even 300s.

Mad I agree with you. There is nothing I know of so nutritionally essential in grains that, to me, make it worth 'healthy grains'. My personal journey to health was very much aided when I finally gave up whole grains.
I think some people are talking about different things when they say whole grains. When I say whole grains I mean eating actual whole grains- boiled oat groats, wheat berries, etc. I don't know anyone who has gotten fat eating those foods. Whole grain flour products are a different matter. It's harder to overeat whole wheat bread products, but then again if you have bacon, butter, eggs, and whole wheat toast that's more calories than just the first three.

If you aren't going to watch portion sizes it makes sense cut out food categories or to eat foods in their most whole, unrefined forms. These are just different strategies that work from some people and don't for others. I personally eat whatever I want but I eat very small portions; I also naturally gravitate towards healthier foods like egg whites and vegetables for breakfast. I eat a bagel with cream cheese once a week for a treat. That works for me but for someone else that's not going to do the trick because they won't feel full and crave more.

There is one single weight loss strategy that is the best- and it's different for everyone.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #39  
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
I'm only addicted to WHOLE WHEAT bread, white bread doesn't really trigger any cravings for me. Is that weird?!
That actually isn't weird. Some people but the glycemic index of whole wheat breads higher than white breads and even higher than sucrose.

Locke agree with you everyone is different. When the average person says whole grains, and certainly I meant it this way also, I am talking about mainstream whole wheat bread and pasta. Those are what I used to eat and they kept me very hungry.

But good points there are other foods whole grains term applies to.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-21-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #40  
Warrior Princess

I ate more calories than I could burn by not moving. Too much sitting on the couch and eating at restaurants. That's it in a nutshell.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #41  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

(This time) I got fat even though I eat 99% whole foods and am a vegetarian.

-- By eating too many legumes (carbs) and not enough actual vegetables, by not exercising portion control, and by being sedentary. By being in denial about my weight gain and then, later, by being afraid to weigh myself.
--Thus failing to discipline myself to maintain a reasonable weight.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi, shrinking... I so know what you mean. A pot of red lentils is like a siren song. I'm not a vegetarian, but I have plenty of issues in the plant kingdom.

Like Diamondgeog said, I do realize that eating healthy food is not the cause of my problem, and I'm sure I would have been worse off eating low-fiber highly processed foods.

But eating whole foods does not insure that you will maintain a healthy weight.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #43  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I've mentioned this on other threads before but it bears repeating.

My parent's generation (my dad would be in his 60's my mom is 53) were raised by people who survived the war and the depression. My grandmother could remember waiting for the train to come from out East with relief goods, and having to share a jar of canned fruit with her 7 siblings. My grandfather had similar stories. Even my more affluent paternal grandparents farmed through lean years and had to feed families of 7 or more.

My mom grew up on a farm, and can remember pork chops the size of the plate and heaps of potatoes. Having lived through deprivation, my grandparents would never, ever have questioned how much their children ate. They were never heavy, because all their lives they worked hard and physically. My mom and my aunts and uncles? they left the farm, took sedentary jobs, ate lower quality food, and ate it in the same outsized quantities they had at home. My dad used to get a mixing bowl of ice cream when he came home from football practice. My grandmother was a nurse, and she genuinely believed that as a "growing boy" this was perfectly fine.

I'm not in any way shape or form blaming the greatest generation for our health woes. But I think obesity in general stems from good intentions: be it cheaper food, not wanting our children to go without, wanting life to be easier than ours was. That coupled with the fact that MY generation has all but lost the ability to cope with delayed gratification (not to mention expects to be rewarded for EVERYTHING we do), and we've painted ourselves into a very unhealthy corner.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #44  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm fat because I have hormonal imbalances, not the least of which is a profound intolerance to dietary carbohydrate in any significant quantity. I also struggle with some boredom eating, but eating unprocessed low carb food solves 90% of the issues that calorie counting and 'healthy' whole grains, fruit, and dairy, did not. I lost a fair bit of weight that way, but it was a constant battle. Cut out the carbs, with the exception of nuts, the occasional berries, dark chocolate, and veggies? Problem (mostly) solved.

So I could be fat because I'm emotional and lack willpower, but I think that's moralizing an inherently endocrinological issue. And the body of research into the mechanics of obesity over the last two centuries is on my side in statistically significant way.

Or maybe that's my weak will justifying?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #45  

Quote:

Oh boy, most of my gains come from those rather than the generic stuff. =S
the smell of those nutty wholesome grains *sigh*
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote