Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 225/ CW:180.4/ GW: 165

Height: 5 9

Default the scale is finally driving me nuts

The scale is driving me nuts! It has never showed a gain in just a week untill now. I was 204.8 last week now I am 206.2 >_<. I'm never going to get to the onederland at this rate. I was hoping that two weeks from last week if i were good....

I havent been good with drinking lots of water and I've been going a little crazy with nuts latley (low carb diet) and had a couple nights where I drank wine with friends, but thats nothing really new. 1.5 pounds really? so funny what it can do to your mentality the minute I weighed in I felt bloated and fat.... then I tried on a work shirt size XL that I havent worn since the summer (button down black collared shirt) and I am swimming in it. so now I don't know what to feel. I am just sitting on the couch in a confused morning daze not knowing what to do next I havent eaten breakfast and even tho I wont do it....I just want pizza. >_<

Sorry I know this thread has been done a zillion times before I just need to vent a bit.

Last edited by skintoskincombat; 01-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.
skintoskincombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW: 225/ CW:180.4/ GW: 165

Height: 5 9

So now an hour and a half since I weighed myself the first time (havent eaten anything or drank anything) I am down to 205.2. My scale is a brand new digital scale. Could it be broke? Whats going on?!
skintoskincombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #3  

This is why I no longer use a scale. Only time I weigh is at the doctor's office.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

It is possible that the battery for your scale is getting low, so that is something to check.

But more likely, you are just dealing with normal variation in your weight. You might have eaten more salt or walked further than usual or be near that time of month or ovulation, or eaten more bulky foods... etc. While my scale doesn't swing wildly every day, some days the scale does fly out of whack by several pounds.

I don't know how long you've been at it, but if you are in it for the long run, there will be weeks that the scale will increase. I understand how frustrating and depressing that can be (believe me!), especially when you are close to a milestone. But it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I'll admit that it still affects me despite having decades of experience with this phenomenon. But my best advice to you is to try to take it in stride, and keep with your program and eventually the scale will follow suit.

In previous years, I've sometimes kept two records of my weight. One was the weight that was shown on the scale, the other was what I calculated from my start weight minus weight hypothetically lost due solely to calorie restriction (assuming a very slow metabolism and NOT factoring in any exercise). My actual weight was always lower than the hypothetical weight, but seeing that hypothetical number continue to decrease helped me stay on plan when my real weight wasn't cooperating.

Last edited by yoyoma; 01-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #5  

So aggravating, isn't it? The absolution that higher number delivers can really be a nasty master in the wrong hands...

I firmly believe that the scale cannot drive you nuts unless you allow it. Never is an extreme word. Are you saying that wonderland is not acceptable if it doesn't happen ASAP and on your terms, no exceptions? Sounds very uncompassionate. Self-kindness goes a long way.

You want pizza because you want something to support you, to tell you things are going to get better, and to change that damn number. You can support yourself if you change your thinking, if you forgive.

You had an expectation and it was not met. Why is your expectation so extremely unforgiving? Are you as unforgiving with yourself?

The number is not YOU. Nor is it your habits or your appearance. It's your body's faculties doing whatever they need to do to make your body work at its best. Appreciate the number because it means that you're retaining water or something is happening to make your body function. It is not a bad thing to go up sometimes.

If you review your habits over the past week or so - with self-compassion - and not punishment or demands, extreme commands and internal shouting, and find that, yeah, maybe you could improve here or there, then note that. Nothing wrong with tweaking if you find you're getting off track.

Last edited by Mazzy; 01-15-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote