Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 225/ CW:180.4/ GW: 165

Height: 5 9

Talking Snow days make me want to eat cookies.

I've been fine on my low carb diet for 2 and a half months with only 2 cheat meals and the only real trigger to eat carby sweet baked goods is a snow day!!! here in downstate new york we are having a snow storm and my job was cancelled and i'm home with my boyfriend and I just want to eat all the carbs! I havent craved them this bad in a while. Something about being snowed in just makes me want to watch movies and eat bad food more than any other time.... staying strong tho, bought some fruit, cheese, nuts and olives to have with a glass of red wine because thats kind of cozy to me ....

Happy snow day to everyone in the The New York Metropolitan area!

Last edited by skintoskincombat; 12-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
skintoskincombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I think we all form associations in our minds. For many of us, snow day = coziness and comfort is one of them. When our senses trigger the association, we feel a strong compulsion to complete the equation, so to speak. The earlier in our lives we formed the association, the stronger its pull, in my experience. I think your solution (healthier foods that are also satisfying) is a good one.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300.6/see ticker/???

Height: 5'7''

I'm in Brooklyn, NY and I have to tell you...I felt the same way yesterday except I wanted candy and ice cream ( so I had 2 lil individually wrapped sour patch and 2 bites of a klondike bar)..I've been lowcarbing since 7/4 and I have learned how to have a bite and get right back on track. If I don't I find myself constantly thinking about those items. Fortunately it rarely happens.

You should be proud of yourself for going the healthier route!
gembabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #4  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Smile Snowy Sunday

The snow that was in NY yesterday made it to Maine during the overnight. All my life, days like this where set aside for baking up a storm--especially right before Christmas. Just a couple of months ago, this day would have meant hot apple pie coming out of the oven and three or four different kinds of cookies being made for Christmas. ~sigh~ No carbs for me this year, though.

Today, I'm getting a slow start, drinking hot, black tea before deciding that, yes, I do have to put on workout clothes and hit the treadmill. If I keep it up, I'm hoping by April to be buying new slacks and jeans in a smaller size. I just need to keep looking forward and keep cozy memories of sugar-highs in the rear view mirror. (Not so hard to do when I 'view' my rear in the mirror. )
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW: 225/ CW:180.4/ GW: 165

Height: 5 9

Thanks all for the support! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets those feelings, I'm sure evn my skinny friends get those thoughts when they're snowed in (judging by all the tasty Instagram photos). I did well last night maybe a few too many wines .... But this morning I woke up to homemade cookies and brownies from our neighbor!!! Eeep, I wanted them so bad but I restrained and made a veggie omelette

Last edited by skintoskincombat; 12-15-2013 at 01:35 PM.
skintoskincombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

My thing is breads and when it is cold, the first thing I want in the morning is biscuits and gravy! It is so hard, for my whole life in the winter mornings on my days off, I would make biscuits and gravy. I don't keep the stuff in the house to make it anymore, so I ate my eggs and sardines ( I have been trying to eat sardines [the only fish I can tolerate] every Sunday to get more omega 3) and now the craving is gone. Survived another one! yay for us!
Catgoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

After all of my shoveling yesterday morning (ouch!) I ended up making a brunch of fish tacos, then didn't eat again until about ten at night! I had a cup of pumpkin turkey chili - awesome. I did, however, manage to drink not one, but two BOTTLES of champagne. That's my problem with snowstorms. I just want to have a glass in my hand.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I feel you! Upstate here and we got about 13 inches. I usually intermittent fast and just have two meals or one big meal on weekends, but I spent my entire day yesterday eating, starting with pear bread (basically pear pound cake) with butter and moving on to my roommate's leftover pizza (she tends bar at a pizza place) and then going to a Solstice party and eating everything that wasn't nailed down there.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #9  
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintoskincombat View Post
staying strong tho, bought some fruit, cheese, nuts and olives to have with a glass of red wine because thats kind of cozy to me ....!
I was going to say that is awesome you are trying alternatives. I have gone low-carb also and wanted to say I have had plenty of 'cheat days'.

One of the wonderful things I've found is that since going low-carb on a regular basis the cheat days don't trigger eating in me the next day or later in the day. Of course this is just me, but my whole carb processing metabolism I believe is more back to or is 'normal' now.

I've had more than a handful of fries days and a few queso days. It's been fine. I just get right back to it.

Having those days, while I don't think they are 'necessary', do not derail me at all. It might make reaching my goal weight take a little longer. But they also make what I am doing sustainable for the rest of my life. I'd rather have that than any yo-yoing.

But I also think alternatives are great. We do spaghetti squash now and not pasta. I have hummus with veggies as my go to snack now instead of the previous stuff, etc.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 12-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I understand. I have low carb gluten free pumpkin bread in the oven right now. If it works it will be a nice addition to Christmas.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #11  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

While not in New York and experiencing your snow day I do understand what your saying.

Last week, and the week before, we suffered from -20 degrees and snow..enough snow that schools should have been closed, the roads dangerously slippery, and since I drive school bus as well as work in the office for the school district, slippery roads are a big deal. You could barely see, or stay on road for several days. Anyway, I find that days like this makes me want to BAKE AND BAKE. It makes the house feel so nice and warm, and makes everyone else happy.

Whats odd, is generally, just the action of baking is ok for me, the sights, the smells, and I wont eat them. I can bake all day. This is if my binge eating is under control. Then I can do what I did last week and make cup cakes, several batches of cookies, homemade biscuits, etc. I have to keep busy, not sit down, or I want to eat. So, it works for me, no matter how odd it is. I then freeze most of what I make so it can't be eaten all at once. The entire family know that on the weekends, and snowy days I will be baking.

I am on Atkins, I try to follow my eating plan. I check the weather for the week, generally on Monday. I try to look ahead and if it seems like we might have bad weather and can't get out I pick up items at the store to get thru that I can snack on. Usually, fatty items like specialty cheeses, salami, etc. I will get veggies but I don't sit and snack on them by themselves because they are a poor substitute for things that a warm and yummy. I will make deviled eggs, doing it today, cut multi flavored cheese cubes, and browse thru the cooking sites online for different dinner recipes I want to try so I will focus on those and preparing these new meals, instead of eating.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote