Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'11

SparkyBunny, sorry this app is not available. I am using US store (I buy giftcards online so I can use it), I thought it would be available everywhere.
But in the end, any app can help as long as you can track your goals.

I am wondering at what point can I start running? I used to run a lot,when I was skinnier, but now at this weight I am worried I will mess up my knees. Anybody has any idea about running rule of thumb?
busybeejelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyBunny View Post
Great idea! Hvala!
Nema na čemu
busybeejelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #18  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Busy bee-I'm 5'10" and I was running at higher weights than you are now...you should be fine just listen to your body. I recommend doing c25k to ease yourself back into it!

On the keeping track of goals thing I am a little amused because I bet none of you thought that tracking goals was actually a for of behavior modification? (Psych major here and I LOVE seeing real world applications of psychology)
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #19  

Height: 5'8"

I think we actually do need a psych major here, so I'm glad you're on board! :-)

What do you mean by goal tracking being behavior modification? As in certain actions slowly becoming habits, or something else?

Behavior modification is absolutely what I want to do and creating new habits. It's not very realistic that I would live mindfully all the time and the moment I go on autopilot, I'll fall into habitual behavior. I need to go through some brainwashing period where I automatically go to the gym without thinking and my response to stress is doing meditation and not eating fatty foods :-)
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #20  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

LOL Sparkly. Behavior modification is actually a progression if you will of getting closer and closer to the goal behavior or what we here on the board would call baby steps to achieving a new lifestyle. Ticking things off on the board or in your goal tracker is just like that when you perform the desired behavior I.e. eating on plan, drinking enough water, going to the gym or even non weight related goals such as studying for that test or really nailing down and cleaning the house every day, each day you get to mark the list that says you did the desired behavior. Moving one step towards your goal I.e. performing your goal or doing something to help you on your goal are called approximations and checking or marking off that you are closer to the goal would be the reward..the reward of seeing you really can or have done this or that. It's just a technique used, behavior modification isn't brain washing; it's a method to get ourselves and less ethically others to perform desired behaviors nothing more nothing less. When you ground your child for not making their bed every day this week or reward them for actually making their bed..that is all behavior modification, you are modifying the behavior to get them to do the behavior or task you want them to do. Would you call rewarding a young child for going potty in the big potty or picking all their toys up brainwashing them? If not then why do you need to brainwash yourself? Just work towards changing your behavior.

It takes about 28 days for something to become a habit and another 3 months for your body to start going into autopilot. Push yourself to go to the gym for 28 days (I need a full 28 days so if you go twice a week you need o do it for 14 weeks) and then the next 3 months will be easier because they are habit...from then it will all be autopilot.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #21  

Thank you for the explanation! I actually probably would call it brainwashing, but then...I'm an Aquarian :-) I use crude or shocking language sometimes just for fun or to make a point, but it's almost never intended to be negative or mean. And sometimes I just miss some of the connotations of the English words.

Anyway, I just got totally inspired by your post and I need to go write my first diet blog post about habits! That's so nice, because I first read some other posts here and felt a bit sad about how people feel about themselves... Sometimes I want to go and grab a person and shake them a bit and yell "don't you see what you are doing to yourself?!" Then again, I probably do something really silly to myself and just can not see it myself...
Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #22  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

We al ldo sparkly. Good luck and happy to help!!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'8

Hey, would you all mind if I join in?
I actually plugged some goals into my phone a few days back...

1 day: Feel good about what I'm eating & maintain control
1 week: Lose another lb
1 month: Increase workout time to 40 mins (currently 30)
6 months: a noticeable difference. Not looking at a particular weight but if I could be half way to my goal weight, that would be great. By this time, I hope I am comfortable enough in my own skin to use a gym and get a personal trainer.
Paisleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisleymama View Post
Hey, would you all mind if I join in?
I actually plugged some goals into my phone a few days back...

1 day: Feel good about what I'm eating & maintain control
1 week: Lose another lb
1 month: Increase workout time to 40 mins (currently 30)
6 months: a noticeable difference. Not looking at a particular weight but if I could be half way to my goal weight, that would be great. By this time, I hope I am comfortable enough in my own skin to use a gym and get a personal trainer.
Do join in! :-) Welcome!

Can I offer a suggestion? Be careful with the 1 week goal, as it's something that's not directly in your control. In theory, you should be able to lose 1lb if you eat at a 500kcal deficit every day during that week. In reality, it's never going to be that straightforward. But if you make it a goal to eat (at least) 500kcal below maintenance, it is under your control and then you can say that you've accomplished that goal, regardless of what happens to your weight! If you're not counting calories, then just following the directions of the diet you are on.

I have a bunch of post-it notes above my computer and one of them is from Brian Tracy's book about reaching goals and it says "To feel good about yourself, you need to feel that you are in control of your life." We can be in control of our actions and even thoughts, but we are only indirectly in control of our weight and almost have no control over some other things. So it's best to focus on what you can control to have the feeling that you are in control!

That said, I'm sure it's OK to have long term goals that aren't under your direct control, but then there's more time to see the results for the work that's been put in. For shorter term goals, it would be better to stick to concrete action plans.

I hate unsolicited advice as much as the next person, but I just feel so bad every time I see someone feel sad and desperate because they didn't manage to lose the 1lb that week, and they feel like they failed, and then it just gets that much more difficult to continue. It's not failure if you do the best that you can with what you've got! The results will follow...in time :-)
Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #25  
funny mummy

S/C/G: 166/150/130

Height: 5ft 6"

Im in I have been trying to loose for many years unsuccessfully. For many reasons. Life-changing event a few days ago had triggered something different this time and i'm in it for the long hall. 6 months is a good timeline to re-evaluate and develop necessary habits.
Lilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbert View Post
Im in I have been trying to loose for many years unsuccessfully. For many reasons. Life-changing event a few days ago had triggered something different this time and i'm in it for the long hall. 6 months is a good timeline to re-evaluate and develop necessary habits.
Welcome, "funny mummy"! :-)

What do you think happened before that the attempts were unsuccessful?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #27  
funny mummy

I make excuses not to reach my goals. I lose a few lbs and get complacent as 'i'm technically a healthy BMI now, I dont NEED to loose any weight', even though i'm un-happy in my body composition. I have huge weaknesses for cheese and bread (Pizza! ) i'm using dailyplate to track calories and just focusing on slow and steady. I would set un-reasonable goals before too. very impatient person that I am Ive got nowhere to go but up (or DOWN the scale) so i'm just going to keep at it.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #28  
funny mummy

And I hope you don't mind but I will be posting here for constant support
Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbert View Post
I make excuses not to reach my goals. I lose a few lbs and get complacent as 'i'm technically a healthy BMI now, I dont NEED to loose any weight', even though i'm un-happy in my body composition. I have huge weaknesses for cheese and bread (Pizza! ) i'm using dailyplate to track calories and just focusing on slow and steady. I would set un-reasonable goals before too. very impatient person that I am Ive got nowhere to go but up (or DOWN the scale) so i'm just going to keep at it.
Sounds familiar :-) By the way, I'm also more of a cheese and bread type of person and not so much into sweets. I'm actually baking bread right now and will have it later with some feta cheese, olives and olive oil! :-) Right now I feel absolutely fabulous. I'm actually quite surprised just how much my body loves olive oil. I'm not scared of fats at all and have used coconut oil and butter and fatty meats, but now I'm just totally in love with olive oil.

I have a more detailed plan, but this first week I'll just focus on staying below maintenance calories. I actually even have had pizza this week... :-)

...and of course you can write as much as you want! I write a lot, because it helps me to process and I'm somewhat compelled to interact with others and share any insights and support that I can.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #30  
I Can Change

S/C/G: 151/149.9/120

Height: 5'6"

I want to join in here too, 6 months is a great time frame for me to learn new habits on the way to my goals- and hopefully hit them too!

My ultimate goal is to lose 10kg and get down to 20% body fat. The behavioural changes I plan on making that will get me there, are

* to break my sugar addiction!
* to lift as heavy as I can reasonably 3x a week, starting with a full body workout and changing it after a month to a body part split.
* to eat 1400 calories a day
* to run for 30-45 minutes a day, 6 days a week.

My calorie level can be adjusted to 1400 net calories once I have lost the first 5kg and feel a sense of efficacy and achievement.

I might just check in occasionally with my weight loss or I might use this thread to be accountable with my food, and check in with what I ate/calories.

It seems like a there's a good vibe going here so go us!
tarabella is offline   Reply With Quote