6 months of creating new habits and a new body!

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • Finally checking back here after holidays :-)

@Lilbert: interval training is so straining (but effective) that good for you for doing that!

I realized that trying to form any kind of new habits is doomed during the holidays. Well, for me it was. I'm sure that if I had put effort into it, I could've just continued making changes, but that didn't really happen. At least not with food! :-) Then all of a sudden yesterday I felt like I can't eat anymore and just stopped. So I had a whole day of fasting, which unfortunately also meant that it was difficult to get some sleep, but it kickstarted my diet habits again.

My new year's resolution was to try to do the harder thing at least once per day, even for just one small thing. I have such a huge tendency to procrastinate and choose instant gratification. I've managed to get rid of so many big problems that I've been letting myself relax and not get into the nitty gritty details on how I mismanage my life. But now I think I've had enough rest and it's time to become more disciplined. Out of love, not as a punishment!

So, approximately five months to go! I hope everyone has had a nice start for their year!
  • OK, so I'm clearly not taking my own weight loss seriously enough, so I thought I'd add a new routine. I'm getting one of those wi-fi scales which updates my weight and BF% automagically onto a chart. I'll just start stepping on it every morning. I've tried to avoid doing that, because I don't want to get too stressed about the numbers, but then I kind of forget about the whole thing. I am terribly interested in all kinds of data and gadgets though, and so if I get that data just by standing on a scale for a few seconds every morning without having to write anything down, then I'm in! Then I can just look at the visual chart and the big picture, without getting too fussed about the normal fluctuations and stalling.

I'm being way too laid back for my own good! :-)
  • Here is my update. Things are going very well.

I will come back and edit this post weekly on my weigh in day. My starting weight is 154.6

11/29 ~ 155
    12/06 ~ 158.2
    12/13 ~ 160.4!
    12/20 ~ 155.4
    12/27 ~ 154.8
    01/03 ~ 149.4
    01/10 ~ 146.4
  • Quote: Here is my update. Things are going very well.

I will come back and edit this post weekly on my weigh in day. My starting weight is 154.6

11/29 ~ 155
    12/06 ~ 158.2
    12/13 ~ 160.4!
    12/20 ~ 155.4
    12/27 ~ 154.8
    01/03 ~ 149.4
    01/10 ~ 146.4
    Wow! That's actually really great progress! Well done!

I'm myself all over the place right now. All of a sudden it's really cold outside and all I want to do is watch movies and eat comfort foods. I know the cold weather isn't a proper excuse, but in the same time I'm also kind of happy, so it's difficult to tell myself "no". I need to learn the positive side of being disciplined :-)
  • So you finally got some colder temperatures? Any snow? -- Here in Michigan, we have had a real winter for a change; cold and snowy. -- I talked to mom, and she was a bit bummed out because of all the rain in Finland.

My weekly check in; 147.4

Up a pound, but I increased my calories and water intake a few day's back and scale shot up 4 pounds over night. Now it is on its way back down. -- I increased my calories from 1200 to 1560-1800, I exercise so much that I felt I needed to fuel my body more. -- I feel stronger.
  • Quote: So you finally got some colder temperatures? Any snow? -- Here in Michigan, we have had a real winter for a change; cold and snowy. -- I talked to mom, and she was a bit bummed out because of all the rain in Finland.

My weekly check in; 147.4

Up a pound, but I increased my calories and water intake a few day's back and scale shot up 4 pounds over night. Now it is on its way back down. -- I increased my calories from 1200 to 1560-1800, I exercise so much that I felt I needed to fuel my body more. -- I feel stronger.
    There's plenty of snow here up north. Not as much as some other years, but enough. It hasn't been that cold this winter, but then all of a sudden the temperatures dropped. Again, not as bad as some other years, but it's enough for me to want to hibernate. With a ton of carb and fat rich foods :-) So it's a problem...
  • I had a nice week this week; 3.2 pound loss! Hopefully my losses keep coming and I will be at goal when this "challenge" ends

11/29 ~ 155
    12/06 ~ 158.2
    12/13 ~ 160.4!
    12/20 ~ 155.4
    12/27 ~ 154.8
    01/03 ~ 149.4
    01/10 ~ 146.4
    01/17 ~ 147.4
    01/24 ~ 144.2
  • Well, I got my Withings scale and it told me that I'm fat :-) I mean the bodyfat percentage was much, much higher than what my previous scale told me. So I think it's back to the drawing board for me.

I have been completely preoccupied with other things, and will need to accept the fact that the 6 month project isn't going to go at all like I thought it would, but...that doesn't stop me from moving forward in other ways.

Right now I'm thinking that just adding more exercise (I'm using Runkeeper now, which makes things more fun) and doing 5:2 for example for a few weeks would get me some results.

It's not as cold anymore, which makes things much easier. When it was colder, all I wanted to do was to keep warm and eat lots of carbs and fat! :-)

I hope everyone is doing well!