Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #1  

Default I'm New

Hey everyone!

I have been looking at this site for a while now and decided to formally introduce myself to the forum! I'm Teresa and I've been dieting now for a little over a year. In that time I have lost 72 pounds and have 14 pounds to go to reach goal.

Anyone who has lost weight knows how hard it is once your body has gotten used to the routine. I have been losing slowly for the past few months and have noticed that the more I do (activity wise), the less I eat, the LESS I lose. Very frustrating.

I'm Hoping to get some support from those who have found a way to conquer those nasty plateaus and make it to goal weight.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:13 PM   #2  

Default Hello and Welcome, ...

Hi Birdie,
I hope you don't mind that I shortened your name to that.

I think that as a person gets close to what they should weigh, the weight DOES come off slower, sometimes no loss at all for a couple of weeks, and then sometimes only half a pound.

Another thought is that perhaps your body is at the weight it's comfortable at.

One thing I've heard that some people do to shake up their metabolism is to eat a higher number of calories for a couple of days, then go low on calories for a day or two, then eat a normal number of calories for a day, then start over again.

Have you measured yourself? Perhaps by exercising, you've worn off fat and built muscle which is much denser than fat, hence weighs more per square inch. It makes you much leaner at a normal weight.

I don't know your age or anything, but that could be a factor too.
You are welcome to stop in at our thread, "over 50 + being healthy" at any time. You don't necessarily have to be over 50 to post there. We welcome everyone.
Wishing you good luck, and drop in if you so desire.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:39 PM   #3  

Hi Willow - I don't mind being called 'birdie' at all!

Thank you for your comments. Everything you said makes sense. I guess what it all boils down to is that I have to keep it up if I want to reach my goal. Plateaus don't last forever and there are many factors that cause them!

As for my age, I am 23 years old but would love to post on your board - I will definitely check it out!
Old 06-25-2003, 05:33 PM   #4  

Default Hi again,

Teresa, Birdie, ....
I do think that you most likely have reached a plateau. And they are buggers! So frustrating.
Obviously, you've been doing something right to have lost 72 pounds. CONGRATULATIONS!! Wish I were there. But, I'll get there eventually.

I know it can get frustrating when it comes off so slow, or even worse, when once in a while there is a little gain for a few days no matter how faithful you've been to your food plan and exercise routine.
So, the invitation still stands. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #5  
Is it Friday yet?

Birdie, welcome!

Congrats on the awesome loss! I'm gonna agree with, well, everything Willow said!

I firmly believe our bodies are much smarter than we give them credit for. We're internally wired to survive. Our bodies don't know we're not in the cave anymore - for all it knows you've lost weight because the hunting was poor this year and the harvest hasn't come in! You're SO close to your goal weight that that little voice - ya know the one, the one that says "eat NOW!" - thinks that you're going to starve and your metabolism slows. As smart as our bodies are, they still don't realize there's a Burger King on every corner and no one's going to starve!

Hang in there and give yourself a huge pat on the back - you've accomplished a major thing! Keep up the work and it'll happen (heck, I've done it 2 1/2 times!)

Terri
(aka Punkin' on the Firecracker's thread)
Closed Thread