3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Tall Women have it tough. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/28656-tall-women-have-tough.html)

DanniGurl 06-21-2003 03:07 AM

Tall Women have it tough.

Being a 6 footer since I was 14, my weight issues were often ignored, or dissmissed. "You're TALL, Danni - not fat." is something I have heard one too many times. However, I weigh 174 and am recovering from a three year battle with bullimia. I am basically sick and tired of trying to lose weight without support because I'm "tall". Well so what if I'm tall. It's hard doing this alone, and god knows the scale is there to prove it.

So if you're tall like me and people have been using your height as an excuse not to support you, drop me line. We can do this together.

GW by July 14 - 165
GW by August 13 - 155

Watch me fly.

Jane 06-21-2003 11:32 AM

Hi Danni,

I hear you! At 5' 9", I had some of the same thoughts when I was younger. Now I just love my height!

The last thing I mean to do is dismiss your feelings, but I think the people telling you that you are not fat are right! Just because you wear a larger size doesn't mean you are fat. Check with your doctor and see. At 6 feet tall, your ideal weight is probably 165-185. I don't know what size you wear, but, for example, a size 12 on someone 5' 4" and a size 12 on someone your height looks waaaayyyy different.

Look on the bright side - you can gain 15 pounds and it barely shows. On short people, if they gain 3 pounds, it's noticable!

Another thing I really like about being tall is that people look to you for solutions, and you are thought to be "in charge" even when you are not. That is a real advantage at times. Tall people get promoted in careers more than short people. Unfair? Yes, but it happens all the time.

Please keep up the good work in avoiding bulmia and HUGS to you,

Jana

hefty1 06-22-2003 08:20 AM

hi danni
janna is right . i know because i am 5'4" and 277 lbs. keep posting andd we will help you fly. i need all the help i can get.
ttn :) glen

Felterjw 06-25-2003 10:17 AM

Danni,
We hear you. Weight issues are weight issues, no matter how tall. :)

I'm 5'9', thought I was fat at 130, know I'm fat at 196 and was even fatter at 202! What I've realized is that 155 is a GREAT weight for me! That's what I'm aiming for. That puts me in a size 12, not a 6 or 8 or 10 but a respectable size 12.

The point here is reality, and being comforable with yourself. I've always felt that I towered over people, and I do stand taller than a lot. That made me feel HUGE, even when I wasn't overweight, even when I was so thin people would say, "Boy, are you skinny!" I loved that, somehow I wasn't so BIG then. But no matter what weight I am, I'm still tall. I still have to buy tall size slacks and shirts, and long torso bathing suits (my personal favorite). I realize that I'm not HUGE because of my height. I'm not even HUGE because of my weight. Anywhere I go, I can always find someone HUGER that me. I have an Aunt whose 6'5"!

I have a 16 year old daughter (rising junior) and I've noticed that something wonderful has happened since I was a 5'9" high school freshman (when anyone over 5'7" was thought of as "a REALLY big girl). Tall women rock! They command all of the attention! They are the most sought after athletes in the school for soccer, swim, crew, basketball, field hockey, etc. They wear the prettiest clothes, all long in the leg. They stand center stage at all of the drama and musical the performances. And they STAND up straight and TALL. My poor kid is 5'6" and feels like she got gyped out of 3". I call that progress!

Do we all want to look like super models? NO.
Do we want to be healthy and happy? YES.
Aim for the healthy and happy! :dance:
That might be a size 14 or 16 for someone who is 6' tall!

gma22 06-25-2003 10:49 AM

Ok, I see the problem here! Everyone is concentrating on NUMBERS! You should concentrate on how you feel physically, whether you are able to do and accomplish things in your everyday life, not what the scale says and for heaven's sake not what someone else says. You say you were bulimic which in itself means you are not happy with yourself. IF YOU REMEMBER NOTHING ELSE, REMEMBER THIS

BODY IMAGE AND SELF IMAGE ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

You can change your body image by diet and exercise, but your self image has to be changed through your mind. Please don't let others dictate how you feel about yourself. Be proud of who you are no matter if you weigh 120 or 320. I am morbidly obese and have NEVER EVER let anyone else dictate what I decide to do or not do about my weight. I am not ashamed that I weighed 400 lbs nor am I ashamed that I weigh 315 now. I am losing weight to increase my chances for life, to give myself a better chance at life and to allow me to do things that I have not been able to do for a long time!

Concentrate on your self image and work on it as it sounds like that is where your problem lies. Be happy with your body image the way it is now, so if you decide you want to improve it, you are doing it for all the right reasons!

Good luck to you!

Faye

Jane 06-25-2003 04:03 PM

Felterjw,

Yes, there has been lots of progress for tall girls since we were in school! Jeans with long inseams are everywhere now, but back in the day, I had to order mine from Penney's or Sears. And girls' sports have just taken off like crazy! Used to be, there just weren't that many sports opportunities for girls - even tall ones. And pantyhose?? They were never really long enough!

I'm so glad the tall girls today have it better!
Jana

snflwr 06-26-2003 07:49 PM

how about 1 piece bathing suits that were too short they rolled your shoulders forward, or even worse in the back? i'm 5'8 1/2"
every 1/2" counts, and i've heard, i'm big boned, i carry it well, whatever.............
faye is right....... i took me a long time to realize, what is a #. if i'm confortable at a size 10/12, fine for me. someone else may think thats too big or too small. it's MY choice. i've got a ways to go, but know i'm on the right track!!
THANKS ladies for a needed check in w/myself. i think we can get soo caught up in the marketing/media. it's everyones personal choice!!!!!

DanniGurl 06-28-2003 02:44 PM

Don't I know what trouble bathing suits can be, especially NOW, since it's summer......lol, I've had to opt for two peices even if I didn't want to......ESPECIALLY if I didn't want to....... Well, even though I've gained some weight back, I have totally stopped the purging........I was told a little weight gain is expected after you stop.......and as far as all my other eating habits go, I've pretty much got everything under control, except for the bingeing, which I've been told is an emotional thing, and I'm working on that one too.

I didn't mean to go off on that, lol. Anyway, even though I've gained some weight, I'm starting to not care about what I look like in a two-peice vs a one-peice. Yeah, it might not be the prettiest sight, but I'm working on it, and I think thats saying a LOT more than the types of people who laugh at me at the beach.

Also!! Birthday surprise from the rich aunt! I'm spending a week at this country club with unlimited use of their workout facilities! Yeah, it's only a week, but it'll be a great plateau-breaker.

michelle95 06-29-2003 12:27 AM

Danni, I guarantee you that you do not look as fat as you think you do. I am 177...5'9" and today at the beach in a bikini, I was getting all the looks and hollers. I know it's hard...I look in the mirror and can't believe I have lost 50 pounds...and I even see it still. We don't see ourselves as others see us.

I like being tall...you can eat more. ;)