3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Stretch marks from losing weight?! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/286210-stretch-marks-losing-weight.html)

Euphy 08-13-2013 01:59 PM

Stretch marks from losing weight?!

So, I have lost 15 lbs so far, yayyy!! But the other day I noticed I am getting new stretch marks. :( How is this possible? I thought you only got stretch marks from gaining weight. I also noticed one on my hip that appears to be growing. And I have some on my thighs too. This is making me so depressed. I wanted to lose weight to look BETTER.

thewalrus0 08-13-2013 02:33 PM

I had to contend with stretch marks a long time ago.

Yeah, you'll gain stretch marks from losing weight as well. They will likely change colors but once you set on a maintenance weight they should eventually turn white.

Some people tan to make them less noticeable. Honestly, don't worry about stretch marks or loose skin or anything like that. You'll either have it or you won't and there will be options for you, but stretch marks never go away.

Lose weight to look better yes, but be realistic about your body. Besides, wouldn't you rather be thinner, fitter and healthier with stretch marks than overweight with stretch marks? That's how I always think about it. I'd rather put my small muscular stretch marked loose skinned body into nice clothes than feel like there's no way to dress my overweight body and then struggle with things like getting up and down stairs.

Buffinlovin 08-13-2013 03:10 PM

Congrats on your 15lbs!! That's fantastic!! :carrot:

I noticed that, as I'm losing weight, I'm seeing more of my stretch marks, and possible getting new ones. I say possibly because I'm not sure if they are actually new, or if I had just never seen them before (my chubby hid them!). The good news is they do fade! There are some on my stomach that are almost invisible now, and I don't do any type of tanning.

Make sure to stay hydrated, and moisturize your skin. I use Jergen's firming lotion (I like to believe it's going to help my skin stay tighter!), but there are tons of lotions and creams that have strong moisturizers and vitamins to help keep your skin elastic. Age also plays a big part, too! The lotion won't help the stretch marks disappear, but it should help prevent any new ones from forming.

Hope this helps!

Euphy 08-13-2013 03:20 PM

Thank you! :D It's very exciting to lose weight, but I have a theory. I'm probably completely wrong because I am nothing close to a scientist or doctor. I feel like my skin is going back to it's normal place which is causing it to stretch a little. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch (ha!) but it's the only thing I can think of. I will definitely have to get better about moisturizing. I don't really use anything at all because I hate doing it. It's silly, but I feel like it takes so long to get everything rubbed in, soaked in, and not feel greasy.

Buffinlovin 08-13-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphy (Post 4815607)
Thank you! :D It's very exciting to lose weight, but I have a theory. I'm probably completely wrong because I am nothing close to a scientist or doctor. I feel like my skin is going back to it's normal place which is causing it to stretch a little. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch (ha!) but it's the only thing I can think of. I will definitely have to get better about moisturizing. I don't really use anything at all because I hate doing it. It's silly, but I feel like it takes so long to get everything rubbed in, soaked in, and not feel greasy.

The best thing I found for this (I hate that greasy feeling, too) is to moisturize right after the shower. The heat from the shower opens all your pores so it soaks up the moisture from the lotion, and while there is still a little feeling of greasiness (it goes away after a couple minutes for me), it's less bothersome than if I put lotion all over at any other time.

Diane69 08-13-2013 04:00 PM

Bio oil is great for stretch marks and scars!

sontaikle 08-13-2013 04:39 PM

-