I Mess Everything Up At Night

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I usually do fine with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I eat healthy foods and stay within all of my ranges, but then I find myself wanting something else.

I just had what is probably three servings of chocolate cake (my birthday was three days ago and it was purchased without my opinion, but I can't stop eating it anyway. Chocolate cake isn't even my favorite cake flavor), and I ate probably seven or eight peanut butter cookies that I made a couple of days ago because I felt like if I didn't eat them all now, I'd binge on them tomorrow.

I feel mentally sick, like if I thought about it too much I could feel nauseous enough to throw up.

I really want to throw away the cake because I think I'm going to end up eating the rest of it within the next two days, and I'd rather get rid of the temptation altogether, but my family doesn't like wasting food, and my mother and sister would probably like to eat some (they don't eat healthy).

Ugh. A year ago, I didn't have this problem. Now, I feel like I can't go a day straight eating healthy.
  • Throw it out! Who cares about wasting food! Do you think your family wants to stand next to your hospital bed when you're sick from a weight related illness and say "Well, at least we never wasted cake!" NO, your health is #1, and that cake/cookies has got to go. Do it and dump vinegar over it in the trash.
  • You can try counting starting at night so if you go overboard, you can compensate by the following breakfast and lunch. For example your day count starts at 6pm and goes until 6pm the next day. It's a mindtrick but it could help.
  • I have some of the same issues. Thanks for the laugh MauiKai (even thought it is 100% true >.<) I hate wasting food, but am finally getting a little better about it.
  • Remind yourself that you are not a human garbage disposal and put that cake down the real garbage disposal!

I also have trouble wanting to eat at night. Try asking your family to put the snack food up out of your sight. That helped me. They did not have to do without but they put the junk where I did not have to look at it.
  • I have always ad the exact same problem. I do fine during the day. I enjoy healthy meals during the day and have no urge to over eat. Then night time comes, right after I put my older kids to bed, and I cannot seem to relax without a snack. It doesn't help that with a newborn I spend the time now sitting on the couch breastfeeding him then holding him while he sleeps. So I basically watch tv and snack, but this has been a problem of mine long before kids so I can't blame the situation.

I really like munchy's idea. I've never thought tp do that.

I've tried to do some real exploring into this pattern, and for me I think the issue boils down to I see eating as a friend or something exciting to do. I've noticed my night time eating is worse after a less eventful day and if I'm alone at night because DH is working. Once or twice we've had family from out of town stay with us and eating doesnt even enter my mind ay night because I'm enjoying having company spending the night.

Not snacking at night means dealing with boredom and loneliness for me.

Does it have a deeper meaning for you? I know for many years I just thought I liked to snack at night. It took awhile to realize the issues behind it. I'm noy saying you definitely have other reasons for evening snacking, but if you do. knowing them wil hrlp you figure out how to beat it.
  • I just did the same, ate really well all day, feeling great. About 10.00pm the lollies were calling me. First of all I was fighting it then in the end ate 2 cups full of lollies, then I was annoyed at myself because when I weighed myself of course I weighed more.

Scood
  • You're all amazing. Thank you so much for your support.
    I've literally had a huge a** piece of this cake every night for the past three nights.

I decided that when Mom gets home, I'm going to ask her if she wants some cake. If she says yes, I'm laying the whole remaining half of a cake in front of her, and if she says no, I'm just tossing the whole thing.

I can't ask my family to hide their snacks and treats because we all share fridge, counter, and cabinet space.

Munchy, that sounds like a cool idea; I'll see if I can try it.
  • Like others have said, don't be afraid to throw things out! And the suggestion to start counting your daily calories at dinner is a good one.

All I'd add is that if you can't throw it out, try to keep it well out of sight if that will help you. I know that would never have worked for me a year ago, but going wheat-free/gluten-free (due to an allergy/sensitivity I have likely had for years but just now recognized) has given me newfound powers to eat only one serving of desserts and forget about tempting foods that are left in the freezer or on pantry shelves. Before that I was definitely the person who munched on ten cookies in half and hour and kept going back to the leftover cake for just one more little slice.
  • Quote: Does it have a deeper meaning for you? I know for many years I just thought I liked to snack at night. It took awhile to realize the issues behind it. I'm not saying you definitely have other reasons for evening snacking, but if you do. knowing them will help you figure out how to beat it.
    Aww. I'm sorry that you feel lonely at night.

I'm not really sure if there's a meaning for my late-night bad eating apart from maybe a food addiction? I'll see something and feel like I need to have it. But I'm not sure it's strong enough to call it an addiction. I don't want to mis-label it and end up offending someone.

Maybe the issues won't reveal themselves until later for me as well.
  • Quote: I just did the same, ate really well all day, feeling great. About 10.00pm the lollies were calling me. First of all I was fighting it then in the end ate 2 cups full of lollies, then I was annoyed at myself because when I weighed myself of course I weighed more.

Scood
    *hugs*
    It's really hard. My mind yells at me to not eat the bad things. And yells. When I give in, it yells at me to stop eating it. To throw it in the trash. "You know you shouldn't be doing this!"

But I push it to the back of my mind and ignore it.

I've been telling myself not to weigh in until September 1st. I don't want to see a higher number on the scale than my last weigh in. I keep trying to lose, but the late-night eating thing probably isn't helping.

I went so far as to move the scale so that it takes a little effort to put it in a position for me to weigh myself. I'm trying to resist the urge to jump on it.
  • Quote: Before that I was definitely the person who munched on ten cookies in half and hour and kept going back to the leftover cake for just one more little slice.
    Oh, I definitely know how this feels right now.
  • Perhaps enlist your family's help in keeping junk food out of your sight? My husband has a bit of a sweet tooth and I had to ask him to keep his cookies in his truck. Seriously!

Like you, I also tend to want to snack at night but I've found a few things that deter me from doing so. After dinner I clean up the kitchen and close it down for the day (turning out the lights and all). Also, I brush and floss my teeth just after dinner to keep me from nibbling between dinner and bedtime.
  • My husband has lollies, drumsticks, big bags of chocolate, you name it he says they are for the grandchildren. Which live a long way away.

I've asked him not to bring them into the house, but he does and he eats them everyday. He isn't worried about health, and will offer me a drumstick when he knows I'm really trying. So I really have to not think about them

I don't understand why I would do this, Im happy have a good life so it's not emotional eating.

Scood
  • I understand where you are coming from. Is this an ongoing thing? How many times a week would you say this happens? And what was so different a year ago? But lets be REALISTIC, you're human so you're gonna make mistakes, you know. I usually crave sweets so Ill chew gum and brushing and flossing help with the cravings... Or truvia sweetened strawberries are good too lol. But tonight I just did the same thing.... I overate a bunch of junk! I am gonna go workout though... wont compensate for what I ate but it will help lol. Don't beat yourself up and get back on the track