Is it normal to feel this bad?

• Hey there,

My name is Kayla and I'm new to this forum.

I guess I should start off with a little back ground before I get to the point here...

I'm 25 years old, and have been overweight for as long as I can remember. There was always a lot of junk food in the house growing up. Most of the female members in my family are or have been overweight. I was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis at age 13, and metabolic syndrome at age 15. My weight fluctuated some in high school and college as I tried short lived diet plans. I was on thyroid medication for a while but am not at this time.

In November 2011 I hit my highest known weight (I hated getting on the scale so I did it once or twice a year at doctors appointments and that was it) of 330 pounds.

Since then, I've slowly been losing weight. To be honest I'm not even sure how since I haven't strictly been following a weight loss plan I did work out some here and there and I did try to make healthier decisions. By November 2012 I was down to 280 pounds. In March after the holidays and such... I was back to 291. I started to get a little more serious about losing weight at this point, but wasn't really consistent. Within the last couple weeks I have been diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety disorder NOS, and depressive disorder NOS & I'm slowly getting more motivated to make the changes I need in my life to get to where I want to be.

Anyways, so... On August 1st I weighed in at 265. I had planned on starting for real in August... as I've said many other moths before. But, that bombed. Not sure why but I binged like crazy last weekend even though I felt AWFUL the entire time. I was so sluggish feeling all weekend. Monday... I weighed 270. (I'm not entirely sure how accurate the numbers are since I have some digestive issues that I suspect cause some of the fluctuations. I've been between 265 and 275 since the end of June.) I'm not sure how but it's like I had an epiphany. I suddenly got SO motivated. I realized I'm so sick of feeling badly all the time etc. I want to take control of my life. I want to feel good I want to be able to do things without getting tired.

I would really like to learn more about nutrition in general... I don't really have any specific plan I'm following in general. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what is best for my body. I have a wicked sweet tooth, and before this week my diet consisted mostly of carbs. I actually found myself craving protein in the last couple of weeks. I feel like all the sugar (or maybe carbs in general) is what was making me feel so sluggish.

For now I'm just counting calories using the myfitnesspal app on my ipad. It's been helpful getting to see what exactly I'm consuming. I have been doing really well at staying on track.. I have felt hungry (or I think I have I tend to eat when I'm bored so it's hard to tell the difference for me) but I've been doing really well at not giving into cravings. I've also gone to the gym 3 times this week and did 30 minutes on a stationary bike each time. I feel like mentally I'm doing so well.

But, physically I'm not feeling as good. I do feel like my digestive tract is doing WAY better. I'm also back down to 266 pounds. However, I've been feeling kind of lightheaded and sleepy. Not sluggish sleepy like before.... but physically drained and exhausted kind of sleepy. I've also had headaches on two days this week which is VERY unusual for me. I get headaches once every month or two typically.

For the last four days I have been eating between 1400 and 1800 calories per day. (I'm not sure how many I was eating before that I basically ate whatever whenever.) I also drink about 24-32oz of water a day minimum I'd say. I have also been drinking a protein drink each day.

Is the lightheadedness from too few calories? Not enough water? Or is it just the normal response to eating less than usual or taking in less sugar/carbs? Will it go away once my body gets used to it or am I actually harming myself? Is it typical to feel worse before you feel better?

Sorry for this wall of text. :P
  • It could be a whole bunch of things but as you have thyroid issues, it's probably best to see your doctor befor you try and guess at what it might be.

What really stands out in your post is the extent to which you seem to be downplaying your 60lb weight loss, that's a massive achievement, so if you're not patting yourself on the back for it, I'd like to do that for you. Well done, congratulations and you did good girl!
  • I can only echo Trudiha that you should speak to your doctor and see if it's related to your thyroid etc.

I do wonder if it's your body getting used to the exercise you are doing. Before now, your body wasn't used to doing much exercise, much like mine wasn't used to it either before I started, and it's getting used to the level you are working out at. Again, I recommend you see a doctor because I don't know how it relates to your medical conditions.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! You must be feeling fantastic.
  • I agree with seeing your doctor, "just incase" but it sounds like your dehydrated. That is not nearly enough water. I get dehydrated alot and that sounds exactly like what I feel like.
  • Congratulations on the weight loss so far.
    I would stick closer to the 1800 calories a day for your current height and weight and get in plenty of water. My Fitness Pal is a great tool. Watch your micro nutrients and get in your protein.....that will help with energy. 20% is a good start.

It is a bit of an adjustment to change your lifestyle. Water, proper nutrients and sleep will help you feel better. Suggestions to see your doc is not a bad idea too.
  • There is a reason why all diet plans start with "consult you physician prior to starting any new diet/exercise plan." You really need to see your doctor about your health conditions and have them help you get situated into a plan for YOU specifically.

On another note, it's very common to get tired, headaches, nausea and even vomiting when you detox yourself from a high sugar, high fat, high carb diet. So it's possible that is some of what you are feeling. It can take a good month to really get past that stage. But, see the doctor now and let them help you make these decisions, as that will most likely make you even MORE successful than you already have been.
  • It could be dehydration. You aren't drinking nearly enough water. It could be from cutting back on carbs. If you want to improve you insulin resistance and help your thyroid, try one of the lower carb diets. Your cravings and sweet tooth will disappear. As far as eating emotions, that takes a lot of head work and has to be conquered if we are to be successful long term.
  • Thank you everyone.

I guess I do have a tenancy to do that, I think because I still have so far to go.

There are times when I realize it though. When someone I haven't seen in a while comments on how great I look. Or when I had to get my drivers license renewed... the difference in my face is a lot more apparent when I held the old one up next to the new one! I also don't get heart palpitations like I used to.

I have an appointment to see my doctor at the end of the month to have my thyroid checked again since it's been 4 months. I was going to bring up the diet then, the doctor I see is at a health center where they have a floor for nutrition so I was thinking of checking that out if it will be covered by my insurance.