Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Weekly-Weigher here! As others have said, it stresses me out way too much to see that number go up a tenth or hundredth of a pound! I'm liable to say "Screw it, I guess I failed!" and go on a binge
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I have recently started weighing monthly after having previously been a multiple times a day weigher. I thought I had daily weighing under control but it truly did dictate how I did that day. "Oh, I had a good weigh in I can eat a little bit more" or "I had a terrible weigh in, I'm gunna eat this terrible thing." So I decided to skip weekly because I know weekly would mess with me too and go straight to monthly
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

I think one of the upsides to weighing more than just weekly is that if you're doing something wrong in your diet, you'll discover it quicker by weighing/measuring more often. I just discovered that calories must be sneaking into my diet, since I saw that I've lost only 1/2 lb. in eight days at what I thought was 1500-ish calories a day - and I exercise and workout regularly. So rather than stay blissfully ignorant of my glacially-slow weight loss for a full week, I'm changing things up now - to see what breaks loose.

I might add that I can calculate by how many calories I'm eating about how many pounds I should lose a week, and as long as I reach that weekly goal - no matter how I fluctuate during the week - I'm okay.

Last edited by tricon7; 08-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #34  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Weekly, or every two weeks. Weight fluctuates so much, and for the silliest of reasons (drink 1 ounce of water > step on scale > has suddenly gained 1 lb o_O), that I stopped bothering my mind with that a long time ago.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 189.6/189.6/110

Height: 5'4

I weigh every week !!
MaryQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I weigh several times a day, and I don't find it at all discouraging, because I choose not to expect a loss every time. I also choose not to be surprised or upset by gains, even gains caused by off plan eating.

A recent study of many other weight loss studies found that more frequent weighing was linked to more weight loss. That doesn't mean some people may find less frequent weighing best, but it does prove that there's certainly nothing wrong, or inherently discouraging about daily weighing.

Discouragement is about unmet expectations. You can't be discouraged by the scale if you don't expect or hope to see a loss every time. If your hope is to "not gain," you can succeed more often. And if you define success even more broadly such as "to gain less than 2 lbs over the course of a day" (accounting for the weight of food and drink) you can succeed far more often than not.

Weighing frequently without guilt has been extremely liberating and motivating. The best decision I ever made was to step on the scale IMMEDIATELY after off-plan eating. Not as punishment, but as reassurance that I hadn't "blown" anything. It's impossible to gain more from food than the weight of the food, so weighing provides "worst case" feedback and saved me from "I've blown it for today, I might as well keep eating and start fresh tomorrow" logic.

I even would look forward to the next weighing to have another opportunity at "not gaining," which is now my focus.

Weighing 50 times a day can be healthy and motivating and weighing once a month can be discouraging and destructive. It all depends on what you expect and how you choose to interpret the scale's feedback.

It isn't the scale that is discouraging or encouraging, it's our own expectations and self talk.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 270/260s/120

Height: 5'1"

I try not to weigh myself daily or even weekly because a DROP in weight makes me sabotage myself. I see a drop and my mind goes, "That's awesome! Go and get those fries and milkshake you've been craving, you totally earned it!"

So I'm trying to weigh myself once a month now. But I know I'll just give in and check again tomorrow.

I guess that makes me a daily weigher.

Last edited by LadyPetite; 08-06-2013 at 06:50 PM.
LadyPetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #38  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

I weight myself daily so that I can see if I am slipping upward. If I am I can they do my best to work out more, eat less and try to at least maintain. I only log my weight weekly though so that I don't go completely mad!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #39  
it's always something

I weigh almost daily and it's possible that I always will. I feel like I need to either pat myself on the back or pay the piper, but never close my eyes to my weight. Accountability never ends.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

When I first started losing weight (almost 3 years ago), I only weighed in weekly. About 2 years in, I only weighed like once per month because I was trying to focus on healthy habits rather than the number on a scale. Presently, I weigh every day because I find that it's motivating for where I am now (with only 10-15 lbs left to lose).

I could never have weighed in every day when I first started losing weight, I think it would've driven me crazy seeing the daily fluctuations. Now, they don't bother me one bit because I know that if I eat a bowl of salty popcorn at night, the next morning I'll be up 2 lbs or so. I know I haven't actually gained 2 lbs, now it kind of makes me laugh at how much water really weighs!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote