Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

I have no substance to contribute, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy reading this thread and the articles linked. You guys are geeky and I am learning so much, so THANK YOU.

Knowledge and good science, it's important to me. I teach physics.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Low calorie sources of protein are not as easy to find as you may think. Chicken, boiled eggs and tuna are fine, but I struggle to live off of them every single day.

So I am now on to canned fish...salmon, sprats, sardines, oysters, eel, kippers, mackeral, crab, shrimp, trout, clams, octopus, snails...all to give me a protein boost in a low calorie way. Pan-seared scallops at the weekend are about as good as it gets. I also take a protein shake if I am working out hard, but again all are not low calorie. I use Isoflex.

Building muscle is therefore hard on a calorie restricted diet because good sources of protein can be high calorie. I think I am managing it but I am definitely getting the toned look rather than beefing up. Maintaining as much muscle mass as you can is really the name of the game. But again you need low-calorie sources of protein to do that. And, of course, you need to bust your @rse.

Regarding weightloss, the biggest headache with exercise is not muscle gain but water weight from sore limbs. Expect your weight to get more volatile.

Last edited by IanG; 07-30-2013 at 11:22 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
I have no substance to contribute, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy reading this thread and the articles linked. You guys are geeky and I am learning so much, so THANK YOU.

Knowledge and good science, it's important to me. I teach physics.
You like knowledge and science? The best $10 you can possibly spend is right here.

It's a subscription but for $10 you can download all the PDFs and then cancel if you chose to.

Also, Lyle McDonald is fantastic and has hundreds of free articles.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

Bookmarked.

Grazie, JohnP. I will definitely look into it. Somebody, it might be you, linked to Tom Venuto recently and I really enjoyed his approach and knowledge. I must say that he solely shattered the bodybuilder stereotype.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote