Did Losing Weight Give You More Energy?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Did losing weight give you more energy?

I'm not talking about eating right giving you more energy - I want to know if losing weight seemed to give you more energy above and beyond changing to healthy diet.

I am eating really well, eat plenty of protein and fat. All my carbs are healthy carbs (carby veggies, fruits, brown rice, etc.). Almost no sugar except a treat here and there. And I just feel like I have no energy. I had this problem prior to dieting too. For a while with dieting I felt great but now I feel lousy again. Doctor can't find anything wrong - don't think I have sleep apnea because was tested at a heavier weight and didn't have it - what could it be?

I keep reading online that "obesity" is a cause of fatigue. So could it really be that if I keep going and take more weight off, I may actually have more energy? That would give ma lot of hope (and motivation).

Any other ideas?
  • How is your exercise? I found that being active gave me more energy than anything. Things become easier when you lose weight but also being active increases your fitness level which makes things easier.

How is your sleep? Not getting enough sleep can drain you.

Do you have higher energy days or are you low energy all the time? You might consider tracking your exercise, sleep and food to see if you find any patterns between your low energy days and high energy days.
  • Thanks for the advice Nelie. I am not exercising enough and am under a lot of chronic stress - so those things are probably draining. But generally it is low energy most days and I do get plenty of sleep (8-9 solid hours a night - and I don't want to get up in the morning). I should keep a log htough - that is a great idea - some days are a little better than others.

And I think making a bigger commitment to exercise would be good. Even just walking 20 minutes outside every day.
  • For me, it's been a combination of factors that I can't really separate. I do have more energy and, despite the fact that I'm struggling right now with being cold all the blasted time, I do feel a whole lot better than I did when I started my weight loss efforts.

I'm sure that the weight I've lost is the main reason but I'm also eating in such a way that I'm getting more vitamins and minerals than I ever have in my entire life. The weight loss has greatly diminished my pain levels and less pain always means that I feel better.
  • Quote: I am not exercising enough and am under a lot of chronic stress - so those things are probably draining. But generally it is low energy most days and I do get plenty of sleep (8-9 solid hours a night - and I don't want to get up in the morning).
    Could you be suffering from depression? I know stress for me can bring on depression and in turn depression makes me feel like everything is more of an effort than it is normally. For me the best way to combat this is to force myself to be more active and social (I get anti social when I am depressed) between the endorphins from the exercise and the positive energy from being around friends I can usually kick the depression a lot quicker than if I do nothing.

Even if you don't think it is depression I second getting out and walking or some form of exercise, I do notice I have more energy shortly after I exercise. (just not right after, right after I am bushed lol)
  • I have found that I have more energy. I think my regular walking contributes to that as well as carrying 40 fewer pounds around.

I don't know if you take any regular medications, but I'm experimenting with medications I take "at night" and taking them earlier in the evening, and I find that getting up in the morning is easier when I do that. I used to take all my beds at bedtime. Taking them at 7:30 seems to make it easier to get up in the morning, even though they aren't "sleep inducing" meds.
  • I'm experiencing a similar lack of energy. Exercise helps with that, though, at least somewhat. I've been sleeping a lot (10 hours a day) and may be restricting calories too much. I'm not feeling hungry, really, but maybe feeling somewhat drained is the result of losing weight quickly.
  • It took me about 50lbs loss before I felt more energy. Before that, i felt no difference in energy levels
  • Not really. HOWEVER, cutting down on refined/starchy carbs (especially cutting them out of breakfast altogether) DEFINITELY did!
  • Being 50 pounds lighter definitely gives me more energy because I don't have all that extra weight -- the equivalent of a backpack equipped for a week-long expedition -- to carry around.

Contrary to most people, I do not find that exercise gives me more energy. When I exercise, even moderately, I feel TIRED and need extra sleep.

Freelance
  • -
  • I'm probably the only one who can say that when I lost weight (several years ago I lost 100lbs, but of course gained most of it back), but for the 2 years I kept it off I saw absolutely NO difference in my energy levels at all from when I was heavy to when I was thinner.
  • Mandypandy, Have you considered going to a mental health physician to see if you are clinically depressed? Depression sucks the energy right out of you. If that's the problem, there is help which would get you back on track.

Just a thought,

Lass22
  • Lass- I am already being treated for depression - but maybe I need to up my meds. I will talk to my doctor. The thing is - the only symptoms i have are low energy.
  • I do feel like I have more energy--whether its from weight loss or regular exercise, who knows. Maybe both. I did notice a HUGE increase in energy after I stopped eating artificial sweeteners, sugar, and wheat/grains.