Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/205/130

Height: 5'5"

Talking Tossing the scale!!

Having an eating disorder in the past where my life goal was to never creep past 130, I am basically glued to the scale. I went through times where I wouldn't let my weight deviate by even a POUND- I would immediately take some laxatives or diuretics, knowing that it's still not fat I'm losing. Anything to help me obsess with that number.

Even though those days are long in the past, I find myself a little TOO concerned with the numbers. I think it's easy to see a few pounds lost on the scale as a victory, when I should be focusing more on how my pants fit, or my waist measurements. It's really hard to think about reframing my weight loss goals, but I think it's important.

Doesn't constantly thinking of a specific number put this crazy notion in our heads that we NEED to be within a specific goal range in order to be happy. I know what weight I look good at, but won't I be just as happy when I'm down to a size 6, rather than saying I need to be at 130?

I don't know if I'm just overthinking this, but today is the day that I stop checking my weight every day! I don't count calories or anything else and I think maybe once a week will help keep me accountable, but from now on I'm going to focus on how my clothes fit, muscle definition, and other physical factors!

GO ME!!!
halo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Great job! As someone who has experience with EDs I can totally relate. In fact my bff took my scale away last month and won't give it back to me and its made me a lot happier.
You should be very proud of yourself for realizing your triggers and being able to take a step back and make a smart decision like this
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Good job for taking the steps to keep yourself from slipping back into an eating disorder. That takes a lot of mental strength!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/205/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks! I always feel a little silly when I hear people talking about pounds lost and I'm kind of in the dark with how much I REALLY weigh, but I'm starting to realize that weight loss should never be about the numbers!
halo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #5  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Go you! Totally support this. It's definitely too easy to get caught up in the number. I think it should really only be used infrequently, especially when we know we're doing well by other measures. Other than that, it can be a good reality check when we're worried about backsliding. But really, there's no reason to psych ourselves out over a pound or two here or there - it's just a number, after all, nothing more. Good on you for ditching it!
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Good for you!

I too am trying to recover from an ED and was getting obsessed with the scale. If I didn't lose what I thought I should lose, it would trigger all sorts of problems. I started judging my success not by my health and fitness level, but by a number.

My therapist told me to get rid of the scale; the treatment center weighs me weekly - they don't tell me my weight but promised that they would tell me if I went up or down five pounds. I still want to see the number, but am resisting temptation.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote