LOW pulse rate?

• Has anybody experienced a low pulse rate since losing weight? Mine at the doctors office today was 40, yes FORTY. I had checked it at my pharmacist a couple wks ago and it was around 54. Doc rechecked it again after the nurse took it and he said it was 60.

I don't feel dizzy or short of breath, i do have skipped/missed heartbeats that i've had since my 20's (i'm 51) and as far as i know i don't have anemia but we'll check for that and i am on thyroid meds (hashimoto's) and as far as i know they're ok but i'll need a recheck.

i know that regular exercise can lower resting pulse rate and well conditioned athletes can have very low pulse rates but good grief! i suppose i won't worry about it...
  • I do but had that before losing weight when I was 281lbs!

My pulse was the same as a professional tennis player. But at that weight, coupled with high blood pressure they thought something was up.

So I had a sleep test to test for sleep apnea. Nothing found.

And then an ultrasound scan of the heart. Nothing found.

Their conclusion was that some people tick a little slower than others and I am one of those. I have to be careful though not to take drugs that could lower my pulse further such as beta-blockers for blood pressure.
  • Have you had an EKG recently?
  • Quote: Have you had an EKG recently?
    No not recently, a couple yrs ago and when i was in my 20's and of course they never pick up anything at that moment!

i have no health insurance so i tend not to go to doctors or get diagnostics
  • I would continue to monitor it on you own. You can do this by couting it for 15 secs and multiplying it by 4 or just listen for a whole min. Write it down. Do this 3-4 times daily and report any dramatic change to your doctor. 40 is low yes....your right about that. You may not have a way around an EKG if you continue to see abnormalities. Average pulse is 60-100. Of course this varies and some people run lower or higher than the average..but that's just a guideline.
  • I would also suggest keeping a daily log and check your pulse several times a day. If you do need to go back to the doctor, the log can be of help to them.

A lot of things can cause bradycardia and it can be serious, but not always. I had a similar problem several months ago, when mine dropped into the low 40s for several weeks. I've been on beta blockers to regulate my heart rate for 25 years. An adjustment to my meds brought mine back up to my usual upper 50s lower 60s.

I hope you'll be able to get a good exam soon because there are always concerns when it comes to heart health.

Good luck!