Will I get used to less food?

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Actually I've heard that perhaps a shorter "fasting" period might be better for women when it comes to IF... so 14/10 instead of 16/8... so if you're eating breakfast at 10am and then not eating anything after 8pm than that would be 14/10... I do that sometimes depending on what I've got going on... and for me and the way that I used to eat so often... now going 12hrs without food is real victory...
  • Quote: How so?
    Many of us find it more mentally satisfying, not to mention physically, to eat our calories in a small window and fast the rest of the day. We get the physiological benefits of going without food for a period, and when we eat we get the pleasure of big or rich meals and that full feeling, too. It's helpful for a lot of folks, myself included.

For example, I have coffee with cream and a fat bomb at 10 am. (250 calories)

Lunch is cheese, a big salad, leftover pot roast, some almonds, and dark chocolate, eaten between 1-3 pm (usually 1200 or so calories).

If I need a snack I'll have some eggs fried in butter or nuts and cheese for 'dinner' around 5-6 pm. Then some hot or iced tea for dessert (200 calories)

This puts my eating window from 10-5, with macros right in range, a great 'full' sensation, an no hunger all night. Then by morning I am either feeling content and energetic or real physiological hunger and begin again. It's great. Plus, I have the flexibility of fasting, eating lightly, and then enjoying a big restaurant meal, too. So no 'deprivation', really, while still maintaining a good calorie deficit.
  • Quote: I'm impressed! I *cannot* get below 2000 even when I try, it's just insane. He's 7 months now and I'm 127lbs. I guess his constant feeding creates quite a maintenance level.
    Wow! I'm exclusively breast feeding Holly (now 11 weeks) and still able to eat 18-2000 calories, with IF, and have both good losses and solid supply. Every baby and mama is different, though

I keep hoping nursing will help with this final stretch to goal. Though I ditched the scale it does indeed seem to be helping immensely, if appearance and clothes are any indication. I'll know when I weigh in a few months
  • Quote: Yes, but at least for me it took years and I still can't do that skinny person thing where they are "too full" to finish and they forget the cookies in the kitchen. I do eat less now, but it has to be a conscious choice every time even after more than 4 years.
    Yup, I still fight that compulsive 'eat because it is there and tasty' thing, too. So it just takes other controls to manage
  • I haven't gotten used to it, I just sort of white knuckle through it until the next meal. It will get to the point where it doesn't feel so unbelievably crappy to be a little bit hungry though.
  • Quote: Wow! I'm exclusively breast feeding Holly (now 11 weeks) and still able to eat 18-2000 calories, with IF, and have both good losses and solid supply. Every baby and mama is different, though

I keep hoping nursing will help with this final stretch to goal. Though I ditched the scale it does indeed seem to be helping immensely, if appearance and clothes are any indication. I'll know when I weigh in a few months
    He was 4 months when I did it so I'm not sure if it was the IF or that awful 4 month growth spurt....?? I'm still losing weight, I just found him super cranky in the mornings, latching on & off.
  • Now that you mention it, I'd assume it may have been growth spurt related, especially if you don't otherwise exhibit supply issues. But really, it's moot now! I'm just grateful I haven't had any issues - still chunky baby, getting slimmer mommy.
  • Sometimes getting busy doing something I really love helps me. I'm artistic and crafty and when I get really in the zone with that I don't crave food - in fact, sometimes I have to force myself to go eat or my blood sugar will drop to the point where I'm running on an adrenaline high which is naughty, I know.

I guess my point is that we have to feed our souls in other ways and sometimes that makes our bodily woes seem less.