3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   My weight loss has become everyone's business (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/282561-my-weight-loss-has-become-everyones-business.html)

IanG 05-29-2013 07:30 PM

My weight loss has become everyone's business

I am becoming a firm believer in the toilet roll theory bounced around here that as you lose more, further losses are more noticeable.

I used to crave for people to notice my efforts but today was a bit over the top. Almost everyone I met spoke about it. I don't mind the one-on-one conversations much but we had a work meeting today and several members from the group were firing questions at me about my weight loss that made me feel quite uncomfortable and self-conscious. They were asking everything, from how much I had lost, to my goal weight, to whether my new clothes were just to show off my new look (answer: no, I needed new clothes else my pants would be around my ankles.)

From day one, I knew I would have to ignore what other people said or thought about my journey. But it was tough today. And I imagine it will only get tougher for a while yet.

There remain, however, a trusted few that never mention my weight loss. They are good friends.

PUPMOM5 05-29-2013 07:57 PM

Right now, I work at the front desk at a vet. Most of our clients are very friendly, and I like them a lot... But now that I've lost so much, I am getting a lot of comments. They're all supportive, but it makes me feel incredibly anxious. I have social anxiety anyway - I've lived with it a very, very long time and I do very well but I have a desperate need to be invisible and I'm not getting that so much anymore.

Sum38 05-29-2013 08:02 PM

I LOVE it when people notice my weight loss. It makes me feel good about my progress and how hard I have worked at it. Maybe I am vain??

bargoo 05-29-2013 08:08 PM

I don't mind people noticing , it is the questions that Ian has described that annoy me. I give vague answers. Have you lost weight ? Oh, yeah , a little. How much? Some . How much more are you planning to lose ? I don't know yet.

IanG 05-29-2013 08:09 PM

My "issue" is I don't want to be making excuses to people for what I am doing. I feel (perhaps wrongly) that some people clearly had me pigeon-holed in one box and want to know why I have moved to another.

So the "why did you" or "what are you doing" questions are pretty tough. The good answer would be "well, I'd be dead pretty soon if I kept going like I was dim-sh!t", but because I can't say that I am left in a vulnerable place of ums and ers.

elvislover324 05-29-2013 08:09 PM

:hug: A friendly hug for you Ian. You have worked so hard and done so well, of course the compliments and questions are flying at you. But I totally understand not wanting to be the center of the conversation, esp. when it's weight related. There is so much emotion wrapped up in weightloss for me and that's not something I want to share in the workplace or with acquaintances. But I guess it's impossible for us too hide for too long. :)

IanG 05-29-2013 08:34 PM

Thanks guys.

Well, I am going to wear a bright pink shirt (tailored fit) and tie tomorrow, as I will be going out for dinner after work. So I will kinda be asking for it I suppose.

elvislover324 05-29-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4756668)
Thanks guys.

Well, I am going to wear a bright pink shirt (tailored fit) and tie tomorrow, as I will be going out for dinner after work. So I will kinda be asking for it I suppose.

Ok....I don't have your back on this one ;) ....a bright pink shirt is asking for conversation about your body and clothes!!

IanG 05-29-2013 08:39 PM

Hmm. Decisions. Decisions.

I guess it can't get any worse.

Sum38 05-29-2013 08:44 PM

Oooh, you should definitely wear it! I personally think that men in pink, are hot!

IanG 05-29-2013 08:48 PM

Thanks Sum. It is a great shirt. And with black pants and black shiney shoes too. This is going to be a tough call.

Happymomof2 05-29-2013 08:50 PM

I have thought it quite odd that one of the first things people ask is "how much have you lost?" Would they ever dare ask "how much have you gained?" if it were opposite?! People can be intrusive and some , I have experienced, down right rude. I.e : " don't get rid of your fat clothes just in case!"

You are doing this, I assume, for you. You have every right to have boundaries about your journey, it's no one else's but yours. You have done amazing, you should be very proud!

Happymomof2 05-29-2013 08:51 PM

PS: i love a man in a pink shirt... Go for it!!

elvislover324 05-29-2013 08:52 PM

Sometimes men in pink are HOT, HOT, HOT:
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c642649.jpg

Sometimes not so much:
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps31691ba9.jpg

Sum38 05-29-2013 08:55 PM

Hehe Elvis.