Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

"If all else fails then do this.... I've done this a few times and it totally works! You know what time he comes home right? Be dressed for your work out, shoes on and keys in hand. As soon as he walks through the door walk right past him and say "be back in a while, going for my run!" He's left you with no choice so stick it to him lol!"
Hahaha! Hilarious suggestion. I have to say, I finally got a decent treadmill at home and it sure it nice to have around! I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old, they jump on a little inflatable bounce house thing (best money I ever spent, lol) while I hop on the treadmill. Doesn't always result in hour long workouts, but it's something! I wish you luck.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I sat down and had a heart to heart with my husband. I WILL get an hour, TO MYSELF, EVERY DAY, whether he likes it or not. It is set on the alarm clock, 6:30 till 7:30 pm is MY time. I don't care when he takes his time, I don't care how long he takes his time, he will NOT take my time or I will go to my mother's. Of course, he thought it was a bit harsh, and in retrospect, it might have been, but after several months of him pushing me to the back burner, I simply snapped. Since then, I get an hour, every day, from 6:30 till 7:30, except on days we have other arrangements, in which my time is moved to another slot in advance, since we always know our schedule. It helped our relationship...he knows I need my time and I know I am going to finally get it
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #18  

Height: 5'0"

My kids are 5 and 2 years old, and I got a bun in the oven. I know exactly how you feel. I have a double jogging stroller that I never use because it looks odd to put my (tall) 5 year old in it (too big for stroller!).

My idea of a "workout" used to be a hard or long run, but I had to modify that once I had kids. Especially once I had two. God only knows what I'll do with three.

As much as it goes against my idea of what a workout should be, I've had to modify my fitness regime a bit. And some may call me a terrible mother, but I've also had to utilize some less-than-productive entertainment for my young ones in order to squeeze in that workout. For example, often I jump on the treadmill (which I moved to my bedroom) first thing in the morning. To occupy the kids, I give them something to drink and let them watch TV in the room next to mine. This gives me about 50 minutes of peace. Or I give them their Nabis (tablets for kids). I'll do whatever it takes to get that almost-hour of exercise, even if it means entertaining them with mind-numbing junk.

On Hubby's days off (weekends usually), I make sure to get in my workout because then I can go outside or whatever while he watches the kids. But sometimes we make it a family thing: a long walk, a hike, etc. It's not a real workout, per say, but he works full-time, so that quality family time is important to me. I'll consider those "active rest" days.

As for lifting, I can't do it like I used to because my weight equipment is in a dark and dingy basement: not the best place to exercise and entertain kids simultaneously. So instead I've come to rely in bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, pushups, etc. I do them a few times throughout the day in my living room, whenever the kids are occupied with drawing a picture or playing with toys of whatever. There are a few really good books out there (though mostly geared to men) that show tons and tons of different bodyweight exercises that you can do. I doubt I'll ever get buff this way (I'm a slow gainer anyway), but it's enough to keep me toned and strong.

Hope this helps. All in all, though, I'd say your bigger problem is getting your husband on board. If running is a priority for him, then it shouldn't be hard for him to understand that it's a priority for you. Perhaps a long conversation is in order. Either that, or maybe just telling him, "Look, dear, this is the way it's got to be."
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I totally understand! I didn't mind paying daycare at the gym when I had the Costco deal for 24hrs fitness. Paid $34 for both of a kids a month. Once my Costco deal was up I went month to month to find a whopping $80 monthly bill from the gym. Let's just said it only lasted a month!

I am buying my own elliptical to keep it at home. I won't be able to return to the gym till the baby is at least 6 months... And ofcourse nobody will watch him... I also got me a few weights from Walmart (two dumbells of 20lbs each, that can range anywhere from 2.5lbs to 20bls... I only paid $19.95 for both of them! )

In your case... How about a jogging stroller??? I know you want your time, but sometimes it just won't happen. Maybe you can take the little one with you. I know is not the best solution but it will you your run
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

When I was married and my daughter was a baby, I'd go workout (outside) while everyone was asleep around 6am, then get ready and head to work.

Now as a single mom, I try to get out of work by 5 at the latest (working through lunch) so that I can change in my office, head to our on campus gym, run/lift, then go to pick up my daughter from after school care before 6. If I need to do more work for the day, I usually can answer emails/work from home/etc when she's asleep.

Last edited by Munchy; 05-29-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
My kids are 5 and 2 years old, and I got a bun in the oven. I know exactly how you feel. I have a double jogging stroller that I never use because it looks odd to put my (tall) 5 year old in it (too big for stroller!).

My idea of a "workout" used to be a hard or long run, but I had to modify that once I had kids. Especially once I had two. God only knows what I'll do with three.

As much as it goes against my idea of what a workout should be, I've had to modify my fitness regime a bit. And some may call me a terrible mother, but I've also had to utilize some less-than-productive entertainment for my young ones in order to squeeze in that workout. For example, often I jump on the treadmill (which I moved to my bedroom) first thing in the morning. To occupy the kids, I give them something to drink and let them watch TV in the room next to mine. This gives me about 50 minutes of peace. Or I give them their Nabis (tablets for kids). I'll do whatever it takes to get that almost-hour of exercise, even if it means entertaining them with mind-numbing junk.

On Hubby's days off (weekends usually), I make sure to get in my workout because then I can go outside or whatever while he watches the kids. But sometimes we make it a family thing: a long walk, a hike, etc. It's not a real workout, per say, but he works full-time, so that quality family time is important to me. I'll consider those "active rest" days.

As for lifting, I can't do it like I used to because my weight equipment is in a dark and dingy basement: not the best place to exercise and entertain kids simultaneously. So instead I've come to rely in bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, pushups, etc. I do them a few times throughout the day in my living room, whenever the kids are occupied with drawing a picture or playing with toys of whatever. There are a few really good books out there (though mostly geared to men) that show tons and tons of different bodyweight exercises that you can do. I doubt I'll ever get buff this way (I'm a slow gainer anyway), but it's enough to keep me toned and strong.

Hope this helps. All in all, though, I'd say your bigger problem is getting your husband on board. If running is a priority for him, then it shouldn't be hard for him to understand that it's a priority for you. Perhaps a long conversation is in order. Either that, or maybe just telling him, "Look, dear, this is the way it's got to be."
We are in a similar situation. I have 5 (almost 6) and just turned 3 y/o and one on the way!
I did the double jogging stroller but my 5 year old was too big, it looked silly and to be honest, even at my fitness level (5-6 miles 4x week 10 min mile) when I loaded up that jogging stroller with 60 lbs of kids I barely jogged for a minute or two!!

My older son will be in full day 1st grade next year but now I have the baby on the way.

I have the treadmill, but there's nothing that will hold my kids attention for an hour! lol Even an awesome snack, or movie or their DS gives me about 10 minutes.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what I'll do when baby gets here. I expect the baby to sleep, long naps. When each of my other two were little they go down for long enough naps (2-3) hours that getting in a workout if easy...its my 3 year old I'm have to keep away from the treadmill and from waking the baby!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If all I had was my peaceful 6 month old, I could work out 3x a day, with him napping or staring from the baby jail! But my 3 year old... oh dear. He never napped as a baby either. I think this can depend on so many factors, not just their age but personality. I really find dance videos working well for the toddler.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

I have a 2.5 year old and a deployed husband, so I have 2 options. I get up at 5am and workout or I do it during naptime. I'm too tired after DS goes to bed to motivate myself.

I am starting an evening 1x week barre class in July and will drop my son off at my parents' for the hour long class. If I like it, I plan on continuing in the fall/winter after DH is home. His work schedule is completely inflexible because that's just how the Navy is, but I can use my parents as a backup if he will be home late or not at all those evenings. I just can't ask my parents to keep my son every single day during the times I want to exercise which is why I have to fit it in where I can.

We also do a lot of activities that require a lot of walking. Exercise for me and energy burning for DS so he takes a good nap.

Last edited by emurph; 05-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote