Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #16  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I found that telling myself that I CAN have that food, ANY time I want it works well for me....like telling myself that I can go to that restaurant again, any day of the week, and order that exact same thing, anytime I feel like it...helps put it more in the category of "just food" instead of "once in a lifetime food"

I even do that at the grocery store...."I wont buy the ice cream NOW but I can come back any time I want, even on a lunch break, and buy it....I could even eat the whole container if I wanted....but I wont" and usually I never end up with ice cream unless the whole family wants some that evening

and with that mindset, in your restaurant situation, I would probably pick the BEST one thing I wanted to try on the menu and just eat minimally on the rest of the dinner
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Do you know the menu ahead of time?

I would decide what you want/write it down on paper and keep that paper scrumped up in your hand at the time to order.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Do you know the menu ahead of time? I would decide what you want/write it down on paper and keep that paper scrumped up in your hand at the time to order.
Good idea. Just about all restaurants have online menus these days, so I think I'll be able to do that.

F.

P.S. Here are the starter and entree menus for one of the restaurants, called Culinaria. I'll be eating there twice.

http://culinaria.ca/Files/smspringsu...rmenupage1.pdf
http://culinaria.ca/Files/smspringsu...rmenupage2.pdf

I'm thinking maybe green salad and bouillabaise, which is low-cal but at least a little interesting.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 05-25-2013 at 08:12 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #19  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Personally I'd just go for it.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Personally I'd just go for it.
If I go for it I'll have an extra 10 pounds to show for it. Not worth it to me. Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to teach myself that I don't have to go all-out every time I'm at a fine restaurant. As it stands now I feel like these situations control me, which is not exactly empowering.

F.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #21  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
If I go for it I'll have an extra 10 pounds to show for it. Not worth it to me. Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to teach myself that I don't have to go all-out every time I'm at a fine restaurant. As it stands now I feel like these situations control me, which is not exactly empowering.

F.
I think that you and I share the same appetite/stomach/relationship with food. You've already gotten lots of good advice, so I just wanted to chime in and say that I know how you feel. And you're right, it isn't empowering at all when you feel like you can't maintain some semblance of control at restaurants. Good luck!

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 05-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #22  

Freelancemomma, I've been maintaining now for almost 10 years and I have to say I am still at the point where if I walk in with "good intentions" I'll still go for the cream based pasta. Every damn time. So, I pick it out ahead of time, right it down on a crumple paper, and it also says "remember why you're doing this..."

Crazy? Maybe, probably, to most people. But it's never steered me wrong. Tune out when the server goes on about the specials. Don't bother looking at the specials board. Go in on plan, stay on plan. Good luck!

Also, I find having a coffee (regular) wtih cream and sugar at the end of the night is sweet enough to remove dessert thoughts.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #23  

I think bouillabaise is a great choice! I would also be open minded to the daily soup (I know, two soups seems weird but you never know). I would also ask if that is a fried or grilled calamari, it looks grilled.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
So, I pick it out ahead of time, right it down on a crumple paper, and it also says "remember why you're doing this..." it's never steered me wrong. Tune out when the server goes on about the specials. Don't bother looking at the specials board. Go in on plan, stay on plan. Good luck!
Thanks. That's exactly what I'll do.

F.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

You know I hate to recommend this, but Bethany Frankle has some great advice on how to handle this kind of thing, and you must admit, she's a socialite with a great bod so she's doing something right. Anyways, I've used her advice in a few social buffet type situations with great success. You can read her book on kindle. It's not long and has some dumb stuff in there, but honestly, it's worth a read especially in regards to social dinners/buffet type settings.
veggiedaze is offline   Reply With Quote