Six pounds in one day?

• I am sooooo new to this whole thing...I have been counting calories for almost three weeks now. I weighed yesterday morning and was one weight and then this morning when I woke up and weighed, I was six pounds lighter.

Is that a true six pound weight loss, or is something else going on that I should be aware of? I have never been a weigher. Of course, I have never been someone who watches what they eat, either.
  • I have checked my records. I am a crazy @rse loser. The most I have ever lost in one day is 2.4lbs. That was at a heavy weight, on a day with lots of exercise, really watching my portions and probably with some booze at the end of the day to get rid of water (that then came back a day or so later).

So either you have lost some serious water weight or your scale is on the way out or needs new batteries.

I also recall a guy that is on here and who was constipated for more than a week. When he finally went he dropped some serious pounds.
  • All sorts of crazy things happen on the scale. In fact- I only lose on the scale for one week out of the month. Yup. Awesome. Hormones. I'm probably losing fat throughout the month, but then my body says, "SUCKER....We are filling these fat cells up with water! HA" And then the week before TOM?

WHOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHH!

1 cup of water weighs a half pound. So someone can easily drop water weight like that in a day.
  • I've had some really big losses. They have been caused by water weight, more exercise than normal, "poo issues", or nothing. Sometime it's just a reward. Other times it's a tease to motivate you to push through and see that number "for real". I weigh every day, and take each day for what it is. the only day that counts is Friday, in my book.

Chris
  • You have normal weight fluctuations from going to the bathroom, amount you drank, what and how much you ate, even breathing! I normally only have a 2-3 pound variation from day to day, but I don't think 6 pounds is unheard of. I keep track of my weight on a graph so i can see trends as I don't think weighing yourself every day is an accurate reflection of weight loss.
  • You didn't lose 6 lbs of fat in one day (sadly, it's not really possible). Most likely your body was holding on to water weight and dropped it that day. Also, if you ate less, or drank less, or were around TOM, those might have contributed.

Or your scale is getting weird. But it could be the water weight / food weight thing.

The most I've dropped in a day is like 5 lbs, which was at the end of TOM. I get pretty bloated around then. I can also gain 5 lbs of water weight easy on TOM.