I snooze, I lose

• When I am losing weight I get this pain. I cannot describe it but it feels like a kick in the ribs. It normally makes me feel good that I am losing, but it can be uncomfortable.

Anyway, it's 4am and I am at the airport and this pain is pretty intense. Normally, I would not notice it at this time because I'd be asleep.

So it looks like when I snooze, I lose. Which is good. Because I don't like feeling like I have been kicked this hard in the ribs!
  • that's NOT normal! I've lost around 50 pounds and NEVER felt a pain like that....are you sure it's not something else like gallbladder or kidney? something that intense shouldn't be ignored or written off as weight loss....in my opinion...
  • I agree with alaskanlaughter, are you sure you are ok?? In all my pounds, nothing hurt like that except when I worked out too hard and it was sore muscles or whatever. Please take good care of yourself...
  • I've only lost 30ish pounds, but I've never felt it. (In a weird way, I wish I could-- you'd totally know what's working and what's not). I don't think it should hurt though!
  • re:
    You need to see a doctor about that.

Don't wait. I know you're at the airport, but if you start getting dizzy, have pain down your left arm, or any other heart attack symptoms tell security.

Chest pain is nothing to fool around with.
  • I have had it for months and only when I am losing. It's not serious. It just happens and it is very subtle. It's not my chest, so don't worry about that. Besides, when I was Stage 3 obese I had heart scans and everything was fine.

It might be my gallbladder, I concede, but I have talked to people about that and know the warning signs.

I'm cool with it. Don't worry. It's normal for me.
  • I was gonna say it could be your gallbladder. I had a bad attack a couple months ago and it turned out to be severe acid reflux but the dr did suspect it could have been the gallbladder acting up (no stones found or anything and I didn't really want a HIPA scan to find out) so he put me on a low-fat and non-spicy or acidic/no tomato diet. I felt a lot better after a couple of weeks but I don't know if that's because of the generic prilosec I'm taking twice a day and/or I changed my diet.

Do get checked out after you get back, please! 3FC would be SO boring without you.
  • You should go see a doctor, pains when losing weight, or at any time, are not normal.
  • Never heard of this.

Suggest you talk to a doctor.
  • OK, OK. I'll mention it when I get back. I have a check-up scheduled anyway.

She might put me back on burgers and fries.
  • is it like hunger pains? When I'm on track I have a day where I am ravenous that, if I manage to ignore it, is followed by a woosh of a couple pounds within a day or two. I don't really have 'rib pain' but my stomach seems to try to convince me I am starving and can ache
  • Sudden changes in your diet/eating habits (like you said only when you're trying to lose) can cause an underlying gallbladder issue to start barking at you. It feels like sharp gas pain under the right side of your ribs.
  • Too many IPA's. Might want to mix in a dopplebock or marzen in there once in a while.
  • Quote:
    It feels like sharp gas pain under the right side of your ribs.
    That is exactly it.

It might also be gas. I had a lot of wind yesterday and it went away. I get more gassy when I diet more aggressively, especially yesterday as I was hitting the Diet Coke more than usual. And the beer don't help matters much either. It may have also been constipation which I also get if I eat a lot less (there is less to pass through me). I went to the toilet and that helped too. Very confusing.

But I will have it checked.

I also get hunger pangs but they are more in the bottom of my stomach.