Maybe a Dumb Question: Measurements?

• Okay, I want to track my measurements as I lose weight this time around. I think it will be very healthy for me since I get really sad about the scale not moving, or worse yet, going in the opposite direction as I'd like.

So, this is the problem. I've bought a few tape measures in my life, but I never use them more than once because I'm always worried that I'm measuring in a different place! My thigh is long! How can I remember a month later the exact spot where I measured before?

I don't know if this is a dumb question and I'm just missing something super obvious, but it happened again today (tried ot take my measurements but was thinking, "Did I take it right here last time? No, no, that can't be right."

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
  • I know how you feel. I tried last week and then again yesterday and they were all off. I figured oh well I get the idea. I started putting CM and IN and I tried to list "2 fingers above bellybutton".
  • I don't personally measure but I have seen a few people on here use a beauty mark or freckle, etc. for a marker. I know most people don't have them all over their body but if you could find something like that maybe?
  • Mine is always the same. I just measure the middle of my bust under it and above it. The smallest of my mid section for my waist. And the widest of my hips. And the the waist is always done in the morning.
  • Lol, I should just get a tattoo of the measurement lines J/k.

I think it will get easier as I lose weight. This might sound weird, but looking down at my thighs is, well, overwhelming! They look SO big to me, I feel bit of anxiety when I really focus on them.

I will definitely look for a mark or something. That might help.
  • Quote: Lol, I should just get a tattoo of the measurement lines J/k.
  • Take a picture of your body and mark on it ith a sharpie where you want to measure. Then compare with the mirror to get the tape positioned the same each time.
  • You could also measure from a landmark - ie: tape measure goes four inches above the belly button and three inches below it, five inches up from your elbow crease to get your tricep/ bicep measurement, eight up from your knee to get your thigh circumference, and so on.
  • Arctic Mama you are a GENIUS!!!! Thank you!
  • Quote: Arctic Mama you are a GENIUS!!!! Thank you!
    +1! I've had the very same problem and I never thought to use landmarks. Thanks for the tip. And thanks to 100Mother for asking...not a dumb question at all.
  • Glad to hear you've got some ideas! I use my tattoo for landmarking!!
  • Depending on the body part, but for most I take a few measurement and write down the largest number. I want to see my fattiest places shrinking, so for me knowing what the biggest is smaller than before is what I want. But for waist I measure the smallest. I do take waist and abdomen measurements however. Cause I want to see the differences from all parts of the body.
  • for your thighs you could put your hands down at your sides and measure right where it right where your fingers stop. thats what i always do
  • Luckily I have tattoos right where I need to which makes it easier. But there are some areas I use a freckle or a scar. One in particular is a stretch mark. Will be glad when I don't have I stare at an unsightly red mark..

Anyways, if you ha e a freckle lower on your thigh, then just use it. You'll at least get an accurate measure even if its not exactly where you want it. Can also make a mark I guess. Tiny dot of permanent marker or something.

This post was absolutely no help. Haha sorry.
  • My $0.02 worth:

I measured before I started TurboFire (only a couple weeks ago) I think I need to measure again at this point.

On the thighs I measured around the largest part of my thighs, same for my hips. When I did my arms I flexed 'em (and will do so in the future measurement check-ins) so hopefully it'll be close enough.

Taking my measurements for TF is only out of curiosity for me, since I'm not trying to drop big numbers - just want to refine and shred a little (I got a little chunky from Chalean Extreme - which I don't mind) and see how it changes my shape. I did gain on Chalean Extreme, but measured against body fat percentage I lost 4% body fat so i"m putting the gain down to muscle