Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Question A habit to replace weighing myself so often?

I weigh myself like every 30 minutes uncontrollably. I told my therapist because my mother was worried I was turning back to anorexia. My therapist says shes not worried about anorexia. She's worried that the scale will control me. Because of the scale I have had 2 mental breakdowns. I have this urge to weigh myself and just can't help it. It's not only not good for me-it's not good for the scale. I have to keep taking the battery out of my scale and putting it back in to reset it because it gets messed up. My therapist says I need to break the habit with a new one before it totally controls me and it becomes an even bigger issue and she said that maybe 3FC could help me. Any ideas?
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

What some people do is put the scale in a very hard place to get. Up above the fridge, behind the couch to the point you have to physically move the couch a few feet to get it. Outside in the garage.. anywhere that you can't just hop on easily.

Another option (if the above does not work) - is to just get rid of the scale or store it a friends house - the only time you can weigh is when you are out visiting that friend.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I would suggest alternating between a few habits so you don't replace one obsession with another.

Maybe you could go for a (short or long) walk when the urge strikes you. This will also get you away from the scale.

You could rearrange your bedroom. I know it sounds like a daunting task, but, it will keep your mind occupied for an hour or two.

You could take up knitting/crocheting/sewing this will keep your mind and hands occupied.

You could surf the internet for healthy recipes.

I hope you're able to break your habit!!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

I use my Fitbit to keep me focused on the healthy habit of walking 12,000-15,000 steps a day. I walk whenever I start to feel anxious about anything lol.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 320/167/150

Height: 5'5

I totally understand how you feel. this may sound drastic but i suggest going cold turkey ! throw your scale away or leave it with someone who will only let you use it once a week

i was a slave to my scale for the longest time. i would let it dictate how i felt about about myself ! if i had lost weight it was a good day , if i didn't lose anything i would feel frustrated and starve myself until i did lose ! when i would gain, i would get depressed and isolate ..feel worthless and that would usually lead me to binge eat until i came to my senses. amarantha has the right idea focus and health and fitness not the number on the scale.

Last edited by Nichole2013; 04-24-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Nichole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #6  

I don't know if this will help you like it did me but I hope it does.

After I have one sip, one bite, put on one piece of clothing (even a sock!), that scale is automatically done with for the day. I used to weigh myself like crazy and once we change one thing on or in our body, the scale is totally inaccurate!!

The only time it's a true reading is after getting up, using the bathroom, taking off your clothes, stepping on the scale. After that we can't see anything, especially progress!! So then I wait patiently until the next morning to see where I'm at.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #7  

So many great ideas! My mom has offered to take it to work with her. It's going to drive me crazy not having it but hey it'll probably help me so. Thanks you guys! I love this place-so supportive.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That's way beyond healthy, especially if you can't physically stop yourself or fixate on it. I'd suggest either tossing it completely or, as someone else mentioned, having it be out of the house for most of the day. But honestly, if this is a tendency for you tossing the scale and focusing solely on behaviors that actually affect your health (like eating on plan or getting your daily activity in) is going to be much more helpful long term.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #9  

So here's the plan. I get to weigh every morning-then my mom to takes it with it to work all day (And she works late). So there we go It's gonna be heck for me the first few days though.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 04-24-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
So here's the plan. I get to weigh every morning-then my mom to takes it with it to work all day (And she works late). So there we go It's gonna be heck for me the first few days though.
You are going to do awesome!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #11  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
Sounds like a good plan! Good luck! Breaking up with the scale can seriously suck, but you can do it

Out of curiosity, did you find a habit to replace weighing yourself?

Last edited by Keep Moving Forward; 04-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Moving Forward View Post
Sounds like a good plan! Good luck! Breaking up with the scale can seriously suck, but you can do it

Out of curiosity, did you find a habit to replace weighing yourself?
Nope lol that's why it's gonna be heck haha
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Get rid of the scale. If you don't have it, you can't use it. If you absolutely can't part with it, try the "hard to reach" approach.

The only other thing I can come up with is when you get the urge to weigh, walk briskly outside for a few minutes. Or read a book.

I am "scale obsessed" myself and just have to make myself walk past it.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I got rid of mine. I didn't weigh myself regularly for about two years after my eating disorder treatment. Now I weigh myself once a week at my mom's house. I still don't trust myself. I would recommend you get rid of it if you feel it's still too much while your mom takes it during the day. Yes, it's rough at first, but the feeling fades after a while.

Just get rid of it. I promise you will be a happier person.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #15  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Ummm...this doesn't sound like scale obsession in the way that we usually talk about it. I think this is a form of OCD (your focus seems more on the act of weighing than the results) and you should seek help from a therapist. An SSRI may help with the behaviors also. Simply getting rid of the scale won't work - you need to solve the underlying problem here. Finding something different to obsess on will only perpetuate avoidance of the underlying problem. Good luck and hug!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote