3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   No cake for you. Really? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/280030-no-cake-you-really.html)

lunarsongbird 04-19-2013 05:26 PM

No cake for you. Really?

Today I walked over to a little French bistro for lunch. I've been there a dozen or so times in the past, but haven't been in recently. The owner/chef asked me what I have been up to... So I told him about starting school and focusing on wellness. I mentioned I've lost about 35 pounds.

I ordered and then asked about a white cake he had in his dessert case. He told me it was a lemon tart cake. (Not interested. Don't like lemon desserts). But he told me that he wouldn't sell it to me. That I wasn't allowed to have it on my diet. "I could dream about it and think about it....but I could NOT have it." Seriously. He wouldn't sell me a slice.

Wow. That was interesting. I didn't bother telling him that I was intuitively eating and lost my weight eating whatever I wanted...only when hungry. But what was he thinking? Has anyone had a run in with the food police recently?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E08_SqajRb...c_takecake.jpg

LockItUp 04-19-2013 05:29 PM

I'll start with a positive thought: Perhaps he was trying to be supportive. Like a bartender refusing to serve an known alcoholic a beer, or something like that.

Ok, now for my food police thoughts: UG!!!! I despise the food police. They should mind their own business and let you eat, or not eat, in peace! I hate to say it, but it only gets WORSE!!!!!!!

I shall now end in positivity: I like your cartoon!!!

EagleRiverDee 04-19-2013 05:30 PM

Holy. Crap.

Ok, I'll be generous and assume he thought he was being cute. Or maybe helpful. But he was soooo out of line. Wow.

alaskanlaughter 04-19-2013 05:32 PM

that is really Really REALLY out of line!! especially for an owner who, I assume, would like to NOT run off current customers...and secondly, reason #4892 why I do not tell my weight loss stats to anyone except my DH and sometimes my sister...ughhh

nitrus29 04-19-2013 05:33 PM

the fact that he is chatting up means you guys have exchanged more than pleasantries! so he is definitely being friendly and supportive!! I wouldn't worry too much about it, Lunar!! Take it in good stride. He's just being overly helpful :D I would thank him for being so supportive !!

Mozzy 04-19-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrus29 (Post 4712733)
the fact that he is chatting up means you guys have exchanged more than pleasantries! so he is definitely being friendly and supportive!! I wouldn't worry too much about it, Lunar!! Take it in good stride. He's just being overly helpful :D I would thank him for being so supportive !!

This^^

TripSwitch 04-19-2013 05:42 PM

I just can't believe that he was truly serious.... I mean did you actually insist on buying a piece of this cake and he flat out told you "NO!!!" because I just find that hard to believe...

lunarsongbird 04-19-2013 05:42 PM

I'm glad that most other people aren't overly helpful. LOL. I'd have to put them in their place.

I actually did have a guy on a first date ask me if I really should be eating a licorice rope at a baseball game. Ha. I didn't marry him.

TripSwitch, I didn't really insist, because I didn't want lemon cake, but I did ask him, '"But what if I REALLY wanted it?" and he continued on with his, "You can dream about tasting it...and think about finishing it....blah blah blah." It was really quite a strange interaction.

Katie816 04-19-2013 05:45 PM

He might have been trying to be helpful or even supportive, but that still would have made me mad. It just doesn't seem like an appropriate comment for a business owner to be making.

lunarsongbird 04-19-2013 05:48 PM

It reminded me of this comic:
http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/u...ts-300x225.jpg

He said that I was looking quite sexy. Maybe he wanted to try to keep me that way.

And I agree, Katie. I'm not friends with this business owners. He knows who I am. That's it. I'm a girl that works across the street from his establishment.

3fcuser291505109 04-19-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockItUp (Post 4712728)
I'll start with a positive thought: Perhaps he was trying to be supportive. Like a bartender refusing to serve an known alcoholic a beer, or something like that.

Ok, now for my food police thoughts: UG!!!! I despise the food police. They should mind their own business and let you eat, or not eat, in peace! I hate to say it, but it only gets WORSE!!!!!!!

I shall now end in positivity: I like your cartoon!!!

^^ Agreed

No business really has the right to refuse to sell food to a customer (assuming that customer is acting in a "normal" manner)

TripSwitch 04-19-2013 06:03 PM

Sounds like maybe it could have been some sort of akward social or cultural disconnect on his part... Maybe?.... IDK...

Garnet2727 04-19-2013 06:06 PM

He was being a paternalistic jerk even if he was joking.

lunarsongbird 04-19-2013 06:25 PM

Yeah- even if he was joking...and I actually wanted the cake, I would feel pretty bad about trying to get it. He would have jokingly shamed me into feeling awful. But who am I kidding? I would have gone somewhere else for dessert then.

Lecomtes 04-19-2013 06:32 PM

Was he French? My dad immigrated from France, and I briefly lived there as a child. My experience has been that the French are more liberal with such comments, usually in a "trying to help" kind of way. By American standards my dad was a total @ss about my weight, but by French standards he was just trying to help out. Hard to say for sure, but I would chalk it up to cultural disconnect...if he was a Froggie. :)