Stalling?

• Since April 11, I have fluctuated between 223.5 and 222.2. I know that a lot of people that are impatient, such as myself will shed it eventually. However, I have been on a strict plan of 1400kcals since April 11. I am starting to wonder if I need to change something.

I feel that I just started my weightloss journey, so I'm not sure why a 1 week stall would happen this quickly. Do any of you have thoughts or suggestions to see lower numbers?
  • One week does not a stall make. It's probably just a random blip due to a bout of water retention. Happens all the time. I suggest you keep doing what you're doing and trust that the laws of physics will catch up to you.

Freelance
  • Freelance is completely correct. Even outside forces such as humidity, the temperature, a day where you had to sit all day instead of moving around will affect your weight. It is expected and totally normal.

However, you've got a long way to go to get to 140. This level of angst over several days of no movement will make you a crazy person by the time you get to 140. At some point, if you can get yourself to a place where you follow your plan everyday and just trust that the little ups and downs will shake out eventually, you will be a lot more peaceful about the entire process, and the more peaceful you are about the process, the more likely you are to actually get there.

I used to remind myself that I was not an exception to the basic rules of science, that the weight would drop when it was ready to and all I could control is me.
  • I just recently spent 3 weeks at the same weight. I don't have any advice for you other than it happens. Good luck!
  • I can tell you one thing that will make my weight stall (or go up) faster than anything.

It's not salt.
    It's not carbs.
    It's not dehydration (or fluid retention).

It is not getting enough sleep! That is, hands down, the BIGGEST indicator of whether I can lose weight in any steady pattern.

I have held steady at 149.0 all week this week, ate 1200 calories yesterday, only got 3 hours sleep last night, and weighed this morning at 150.5.

I am going to try and make myself sleep tonight and get back down to that number.
  • ^^^ I second this!! This, and stress. Ugh. I spent 2 months trying to get below 192. I'd go UP, and back down again, but never past it! In the end (being... 3-4 days ago?) I decided, **** it, all this overanalysis is making me nuts!! I'll just concentrate on how good I feel eating this way. The scale will get in line when it feels like it!

And bam. 189 today.

That's the thing I honestly found hardest at the beginning (and 4.5 months in, I still consider this the beginning!). That fine line between wanting it enough to do it, and not wanting it too much.

And Freelance is right. One week ain't a stall Keep an eye on whatever NSVs you can find, to put the scale in perspective!
  • Thank you guys for your feedback!

I understand that weight loss is anything but linear. I just wasn't sure how often people switch things up. Since I've only lost about 20lbs total so far, and about 10lbs since I restarted, I wasn't sure if I was completely doing things right yet

I guess I'll stick to my 1400-1600kcals and see what happens in the next few weeks.
  • You are really doing great! Like you say, it is not linear.
  • I've found, personally, that switching things up tends to be beneficial mentally, much more than physically. I don't know that I've ever been in physical need to switch things up, but I can tell you that I've had MANY weeks throughout my weight loss where I didn't lose so much as an ounce, or even gained, dispite being completely on plan. Frustrating, I know! Sometimes we tend to want answers and solutions to things that don't need them. This is most likely one of those things! As long as your calories are right, it's most likely a case of the scale not reflecting your fat loss yet.