Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Uh... my scale is going in the wrong direction.

So, I've gone through two weeks of workouts for NROL4W, and the day I started I weighed in at 154.5, I think. I had adjusted my calorie plan according to the author's guidelines -- calculated out my "maintenance" calories by his formula then subtracted them by 300 by his suggestion. I eat around 1645 calories on non-workout days, and I eat about 275-300 (1920-1950 depending on the amount of calories I burn in my workout) more on workout days. If I go over my calories, it's usually never more than 5 or 10. But for some reason, I've noticed that since I started this program, every Monday, my scale has been up 1.5-2lbs from the previous Monday. On the 11th, I was 154, on the 18th, I was somewhere around 156, and today I weighed in at 158.

My measurements haven't changed and all of my new clothes have been 8s and smalls and mediums, and my 10s are fitting just right/getting too big as opposed to being a bit snug. So it seems like my body is staying put -- but my weight is not.

I checked my diary for the past week, and I'm looking through the past two weeks, and so far nothing in my diet has really changed except that I eat more. In fact, if anything it looks like I've been eating BETTER since starting the program. However, I do struggle with getting enough protein so I wonder if that's causing a problem?

I wonder if I should continue with the calorie plan for another week and see what happens, but a big part of me wants to go back to the way I was eating and just keep up with the exercise regimen. What would y'all do in this situation?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Give it another couple weeks! If your pants are not getting tighter dispite the scale going up a bit, I don't think there's anythign to worry about at this point. If you weren't weighing would you have any indication of a gain? If the answer is no, give it a little more time!!! This if very typical of this type of program, don't sweat it!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I would balloon on that many calories, but I am 74 and my metabolism is probably much slower.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #4  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
I would balloon on that many calories, but I am 74 and my metabolism is probably much slower.
Ya, I'd guess that is the case. Lauren is younger than I am (I'm 30) and I'm able to maintain my weight on between 2000-2500 calories per day, depending on my exercise level. I really and truly cannot imagine she is gaining FAT on that calorie level with the amount of exercise she is doing (because she is also doing cardio as I've seen her log it on MFP).
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

What are your goals? Do you want to lose more fat? If so, lower your calories a bit.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

To my mind, if you "eat back" your workout calories, you're not getting the weight-loss benefits of exercise, just the fitness benefits. If you want both, I suggest you eat about the same on the days you work out -- unless you're feeling ravenous, in which case you could have a small extra snack.

It especially doesn't make sense to eat back exercise calories if you're using a calculator that takes your activity level into account when figuring out your daily caloric allotment. In such a case you'd be double-counting your workout calories.

JMHO Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #7  
Stephanie

My advice was going off the assumption that her goals are in line with the goals of the NROL4W program; my logic being that she wouldn't be doing the program if the program didn't aid in attaining the goals she has.

Idk, my opinion is that if you're going to do a specific program you should do it the way it's laid out and not deviate (in this case calorie-wise they don't want you in more than a 300 calorie deficit). Otherwise you really aren't doing the program, you're doing your own thing.

But, of course, if you find a program isn't for you, by all means do something different!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Give it another couple weeks! If your pants are not getting tighter dispite the scale going up a bit, I don't think there's anythign to worry about at this point. If you weren't weighing would you have any indication of a gain? If the answer is no, give it a little more time!!! This if very typical of this type of program, don't sweat it!
I agree with Stephanie. I am not doing this program, but I intend to in the future and from other advice I've read, this seems to be in line...

Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
My advice was going off the assumption that her goals are in line with the goals of the NROL4W program; my logic being that she wouldn't be doing the program if the program didn't aid in attaining the goals she has.

Idk, my opinion is that if you're going to do a specific program you should do it the way it's laid out and not deviate (in this case calorie-wise they don't want you in more than a 300 calorie deficit). Otherwise you really aren't doing the program, you're doing your own thing.

But, of course, if you find a program isn't for you, by all means do something different!
Hmmm well were bound to disagree at some point. NROL has terrible dietary advice. NROL for women has better dietary advice but still, it's primarily a workout program. For a novice lifter, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Not forever of course, but for a while.

You can do their workout and tailor your diet to suit your specific goals to a certain extent. You couldn't follow their workout and eat 500 calories a day but you can drop your caloires down a bit and follow the program just fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I don't follow the program, but I know that weight loss slows down for many of us that have lost a bit because our bodies adjust to our new caloric intake somewhat.

I'm wondering if the program was written for someone who has never been at a higher weight, lost it, and prescribes a diet based on those assumptions. It may not account for someone who's been living on 1200-1500 for over a year (as I think Lauren has)

If it's really bothering you (2lbs a week would definitely bother me) reduce the calories by just a bit or maybe go back to what you were, if you're still trying to lose. It also just may be that your body is adjusting to its new intake level and will take a bit of up and down to figure out what you're doing to it.

Last edited by Vex; 03-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #11  

To answer John's question, my goal is really more body composition than weight loss at this point. If I lost anymore, it wouldn't be more than 5 or 10lbs. I'm pretty happy with my current clothing size and proportions, I just want the flabby/dimply areas to be less flabby/dimply. So, really, I don't really know what I need to do calorie-wise for that to happen.

I thought about simply keeping my calories at 1645 every day instead of eating up to 1900 on workout days, and possibly doing some extra cardio on the days I'm not lifting -- essentially what I was doing before, just with a little more calories. I don't really need to lose those last 5-10lbs that quick either, I just want my body to look better. Getting smaller isn't necessary, to me. I'm healthy -- all of my numbers are perfect if not almost low, so I really don't see necessity in getting my weight PERFECTLY in the "normal" range if everything says I'm healthy otherwise. I think at this point, somewhere between 145 and 150 would be a good solid weight for me.

But what scares me is when it comes time for actual maintenance... if I up my calories to go into maintenance mode is it going to make me gain weight? Just upping my calories for this program has made me gain 4lbs in 3 weeks and I'm just terrified that eating any more is gonna make me gain my weight back. I don't wanna eat in a deficit forever just to keep from gaining! I'm probably overreacting like usual, but its still a scary thought.

Last edited by mimsyborogoves; 03-25-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #12  

I think I'm gonna update my ticker and stuff to my current stats -- I feel like I'm lying knowing I haven't been at 152 for over a month now, lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
To answer John's question, my goal is really more body composition than weight loss at this point.
I think your plan of 1600 calories or so daily is probably a good idea. Keep pushing yourself at the gym and you'll see the results.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #14  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Hmmm well were bound to disagree at some point.
But I don't like to disagree with you because it makes me feel wrong!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I am no expert on weight lifting, but I have read a ton. Every one discusses weight gain after starting a weight lifting program. Water retention and muscle building etc. But I would have to say, if you are gaining more than a few pounds its time to cut back on your calories a bit until you get back to where you want. If you are lifting I would not cut too much, maybe just start with a 100 cals a day. Do that for a couple of weeks and see where the scale goes and determine what you need to change.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote