Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/142/125

Height: 5'6

Default I just can't lose weight.

I just can't get in the right mindset to lose weight. I know that technically I can, but I've been maintaining the same 5 pounds for 5 months so now it seems impossible. I do really good for a week, then the next week I blow it. I'm really frustrated because I know I'm doing this to myself, it's just hard to break habits that you've had for so long. Any advice would be very helpful! I want to lose 15 pounds so bad but it seems so far away.
kassi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #2  

Hi kassi,

When it comes to me and losing weight, I have to want it and do it with all my heart, soul, EVERYTHING I have. Anytime I give it less than all, I don't get very good results.

Change 1 habit at a time and you'll get there. Maybe give up soda this week, then next week chips, the week after no take-out. Those are just examples, substitute the items according to your diet.

Once I got on my bandwagon to lose weight, the pounds coming off meant more to me than any foods.

Good luck!! You can do this and you came to the right place!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

I maintained for a long time myself. In a year, I've dropped maybe 15 pounds at most. That comes to a little over a pound a month, less than a pound a week. Maintaining for a period of time is still good, a lot of people regain. I maintain for a few weeks, then drop a pound. Maintain for a few more weeks, then drop...better than seeing the number go up.

You're just burned out right now, it'll get easier when you're ready to go for round two!
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/250/135

Height: 5'4"

I hear you! I have been battling with my weight all of my life. I'll go on a diet, lose some weight and then in a few months time, I will gain it all back. Each time I try to diet, it gets harder and harder.

I want to go through IVF, but can't because of my BMI. If getting pregnant after over 10 years of infertility isn't enough motivation to lose weight, what is???

I am the same as you. I'll do really well one week, then the next I'll blow it. I'm an extreme emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad. My metabolism must be slower than a snail because it takes near starvation for me to drop just a few pounds. I am running out of time to have fertility treatments (due to age). I have got to find the motivation somewhere.
Tina239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/142/125

Height: 5'6

I usually eat to pass the time and when I procrastinate doing schoolwork. Also, since I'm in school from 8:30-3 I do a lot of sitting around. I think I'm going to eat lighter breakfasts and lunches so that I can eat more in the afternoons. I don't know, I'll see what works. All I have thought about for almost a year now is losing weight. I got to my lowest weight, 137, two weeks before Easter and then I ate tons of junk food which made me gain 6 pounds. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to start over...again. Thank you all for your comments! I'm glad I'm not the only one
kassi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

To me, it's the same as going to work. You may not WANT to do it, but you HAVE to to get a paycheck to pay bills. To lose weight you have to make up your mind and stay on track to lose weight. Slip ups happen, just get back on the bike.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm a librarian, so I always have books to recommend. The books by Judith Beck are really great for mindset issues. I also like The Eating Well Diet (published by Eating Well magazine, natch) for its emphasis on mindset and habits.

I find junk food triggering and it's helped me to read a bunch of books about the food industry and how junk food is designed to be triggering to susceptible people. The lastest is Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss -- eye-opening! Some other titles: In Defense of Food or Food Rules by Michael Pollan and The End of Overeating by David Kessler. I haven't read it yet, but Pandora's Lunchbox by Melanie Warner looks good.

For a completely different take on things, I recommend Do I Look Fat in This? by Jessica Weiner. She might help you with this: "All I have thought about for almost a year now is losing weight." You're young (I'm guessing because you're in school all day) and your weight is in the healthy range according to the CDC's BMI calculator. Maybe the solution isn't so much losing weight as changing your mindset about weight. We live in a very unhealthy culture and Jessica Weiner has great stuff to say about that and how to get ourselves to focus on healthier goals.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-11-2013 at 12:22 PM.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm looking at your height and your weight goal. Is your goal attainable? 125 for 5'6" is REALLLY thin.

How is your fitness? Maybe it's more you need to reshape your body versus dropping pounds on the scale. No body looks good when it's flabby/unfit unless you are very, very thin (think models). You can have a great body with a bit more weight on the scale AND be healthier if you are fitter.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I'm looking at your height and your weight goal. Is your goal attainable? 125 for 5'6" is REALLLY thin.
Idk OPs body type/fram etc, but I think that depends. I'm not far from 125 at this point, 5'6" and I am nowhere near REALLLY thin. I think 125 on a 5'6" person can look very different depending on the muscle mass and bone frame. You're right, that could look very thin on some people, on me I don't believe so. My frame is very small it seems.

To OP: You mentioned doing school work and being in school from 8:30 to 3. So either you are a teacher (like me) or a high school student???

Anyway, if afternoons are you hungry time, I do think it's a good plan to eat lighter earlier in the day so you can have more during the time of day that you are finding yourself to be the most hungry. If you aren't already, I'd recommend ensuring you get a decent amount of protein in as it seems to stay with you longer, and at least for me, reduce craving.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Idk OPs body type/fram etc, but I think that depends. I'm not far from 125 at this point, 5'6" and I am nowhere near REALLLY thin. I think 125 on a 5'6" person can look very different depending on the muscle mass and bone frame. You're right, that could look very thin on some people, on me I don't believe so. My frame is very small it seems.
THat's just it - we don't have a lot of information. She could need to lose more or maybe not. My MIL is the same height as me with shrinking, she was an inch taller before shrinking and she weighs 15 pounds less than me and she is round and flabby. Her ideal weight is probably at the very low end of the spectrum and she always was around 130 at 5'7.5" and wasn't too thin. She is very fine boned (and why she is also dealing with bad osteoporosis - fine bones and never being fit plus early menopause (surgically induced) - not a good mix).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote