Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

Default Frustration!

Why is the scale going up ? I am under my calories and points every single day and every day the scale is going up! I don't understand.
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Hi there,
Is this a weight watchers question? If so I would post it one that board. You should be eating all of your points daily. Are you meeting the good health guidelines? Could you post a typical days menu..What about exercise?
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

If you're eating in a calorie deficit, the scale is not going up because of true weight gain. Is it TOM for you? Many people go up on the scale due to water retention once or twice a month. Stay on plan. The scale WILL go down. Figuring out these ups and downs is one of the hardest mental parts of this journey. Keep up the good work!
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

have you been sick? exercising more? strained some muscles? not sleeping well? at a "bloating" time of your cycle? eating salty or carby foods?

how long as this been going on?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #5  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Mine has been doing the same thing as well lately.....and I've been in a deficit. I'm attributing it to water retention, the weather has been warmer and more humid, which always makes me puffier. So I'm not worrying about it.

Has the increase on the scale coincided with the weather where you live?
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
have you been sick? exercising more? strained some muscles? not sleeping well? at a "bloating" time of your cycle? eating salty or carby foods?
I'd say definitely one of these, hang in there.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

Here is my problem. It is not TOM. I am sticking to strictly to my plan. I have even turned down mexican food, pizza bread sticks all that good stuff. I am maybe drinking one diet soda a day. I just do not get it. I only drink water and I am way more active than I was the first week. The first week I didnt really do anything but sleep and watch tv. I only drank diet cokes and still lost weight. I am moving more and drinking more water and gaining. I am so frustrated. I know this isnt going to be easy but really!!!! I have had it. Why do I stick so strictly to this if it isnt going to change anything.
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #8  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

That sounds frustrating.

How much has it gone up and over what period of time?
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #9  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

if you don't eat enough, it's almost as bad as eating too much. Your body will get really good at being efficient on the amount of calories you are restricting it to, which will throw off your metabolism. I've never done WW, but it sounds to me like you should make sure to eat all of your points!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Here's the thing - you cannot control the scale. You can only control what you do, or don't do, and the numbers respond as they will.

If you KNOW you're on plan and sticking to it like glue, you've succeeded. Every day you eat your food and exercise according to your plan you've won. The scale will bounce, stall, not respond, drop precipitously, and shoot up just as fast again. You are not in control of gravity - there's no telling what you may weigh on a specific day. The ONLY thing you can control is your behaviors, and let the scale take care of itself. If you stay on plan consistently and never give up, the scale WILL respond. But you cannot live and die by the number it shows each day - don't let ONE silly metric control your self image or happiness!

Stay on plan as you have been and ignore the scale. It can be a useful tool, but not in short term settings and not if it causes you more anxiety than help. Manage your food, your water, and your workouts. That is ALL that you can do, and it is ENOUGH. I promise
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #11  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Here's the thing - you cannot control the scale. You can only control what you do, or don't do, and the numbers respond as they will.

If you KNOW you're on plan and sticking to it like glue, you've succeeded. Every day you eat your food and exercise according to your plan you've won. The scale will bounce, stall, not respond, drop precipitously, and shoot up just as fast again. You are not in control of gravity - there's no telling what you may weigh on a specific day. The ONLY thing you can control is your behaviors, and let the scale take care of itself. If you stay on plan consistently and never give up, the scale WILL respond. But you cannot live and die by the number it shows each day - don't let ONE silly metric control your self image or happiness!

Stay on plan as you have been and ignore the scale. It can be a useful tool, but not in short term settings and not if it causes you more anxiety than help. Manage your food, your water, and your workouts. That is ALL that you can do, and it is ENOUGH. I promise
Amen!

Moving from a scale dependency to an actions dependency has done WONDERS for how I see my weight loss journey. If you are on-plan, and your plan gives you a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight in time. You need to look at the trend over weeks or months, rather than days. Day to day you can "gain" five pounds of weight... but it is water, waste, and stomach contents. There's no way it can be fat gain, if you're on plan.

Just stick in there. Look at the long term trends. Focus on your behaviors -- the things you CAN control. The scale, which you can't control, will follow.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #12  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB1027 View Post
I am so frustrated. I know this isnt going to be easy but really!!!! I have had it. Why do I stick so strictly to this if it isnt going to change anything.
Please, please, take time, get a tape measure and measure yourself and keep track of those measurements and don't weigh more than once a week, seriously.

There's been weeks when the scale stalled or went up (like this week from last week, I've gained a pound) but my measurements are steadily going down. I think if I was just relying on the scale I'd be losing my mind.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 191/178/145

Height: 5'6

As others mentioned, the measurements and my loss there was my motivation on the bad weeks when the scale wouldn't budge for me either. It is true that you need to make sure you are eating enough. I've started really trying to eat something every 3 hours so I am not so hungry, but also keep my tank full to burn more fat.

My loss has been slow the past 5 weeks, but I am still better off than I was before I started eating healthier. 8.5 inches, looser clothes and done 5.5 lbs. Hang in there and know it will happen.
bbrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #14  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post

There is such awesome advice here.

The only nugget I'd like to throw in was inspired by Arctic Mama's post, and that is the idea that staying on plan goes both ways -- both over and under calorie intakes. You mentioned you're staying under your calorie range. I don't know what that means and how much you're eating (though feel free to share those details with us and maybe we can help more). Either way, if you find you're gaining weight for a prolonged period of time, I would probably look to tweak something. Maybe your body is telling you you actually need more calories, or perhaps calories from different sources, or a different combination of calories, etc. On the other hand, if this has been relatively short-lived, I'd wait it out. Hope that helps.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote