Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/155/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Weightloss: Calorie or Carb counting?

I couldn't figure out exactly where to post this so here goes:

Having lost 100 lbs i know that it is in it's most basic form=calories in/calories out. I also know that my body does respond better the lower the total carb intake, or at least i think so.

So... is keeping the carb count low almost equally as important? If i'm choosing calories is it as important to go for a lower carb item with the same calorie count, if that makes sense? I'm not really talking a low carb diet so to speak but carbs in general. And i'm also wondering if there are those who can eat more calories on a lower carb diet and still lose easier then if they were to consume more carbs and fewer calories?

Just putting this out there

(for me, i eat a relatively lower carb {clean} diet during the week, and LOTS of carb overload on fridays-reigning it in immediately on Saturday and staying on course during the week and i still lost all the weight i needed to lose)
ReillyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

For me, personally, I've never found weight loss easier based on carbs for the same amount of calories. Now I feel much more full and struggle much less with hunger when I focus on getting higher protein and a good amount of fat (30%). When I do that my carbs are naturally lower, but not low -- usually between 90 and 120. But I don't specifically aim for that amount of carbs, that's just where they fall when I aim for my protein to be 30-40% of my total cals.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #3  

Thanks for weighing in!

I think that's roughly where my carb count falls and i try to have protein every time i eat--eggs/turkey bacon, small amount of cheese for breakfast, greek yogurt for lunch, HB egg or protein shake for snack, grilled chicken for dinner (this is just the protein listing)

But i don't know where my fat content lies in it all, i wish it was higher but i'm already pushing the calorie limit. i do have 1/2 avocado with my salad every day and walnuts/almonds in the Greek yogurt, etc.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #4  
Jez
mythbuster.

Height: 5'4" Age: 32

I can definitely eat more calories when my carbs are in check.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #5  

thanks good luck to all....
maroukhane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

IMO calorie counting over carbs, but low carb = low calories so it's sort of killing two birds.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

I find that I'm never satiated after a meal unless there are enough carbs in it...

Two meals can be equal in calories but adding the carbs in (rice, bread) makes a much bigger difference in whether I snack or not...I know this is not the general mindset here, so just thought I'd share my experience
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #8  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl07 View Post
I find that I'm never satiated after a meal unless there are enough carbs in it...

Two meals can be equal in calories but adding the carbs in (rice, bread) makes a much bigger difference in whether I snack or not...I know this is not the general mindset here, so just thought I'd share my experience
I'm a lower-carb girl, but my mom is exactly like you, sparklegirl07 - she eats healthy, whole foods, but without 'extra' carbs (compared to the way I eat) she experiences HUGE energy drops and persistent hunger. Everyone is different - we have to find what works for us!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl07 View Post

I am exactly the same way. Gotta have those carbs, and I don't have the spikes either. I also don't generally crave sweets and when I do eat them I don't have the same reaction most people do. So I feel very blessed in that regard.

If I have one big meal that has a lot of carbs (a potato, perhaps a piece of bread) that generally is the only "meal" that I will eat that day. I'm not much of a breakfast eater so that meal may be the first thing I eat in my day, and if so, the most I'll have in the evening is a piece of fruit & yogurt or perhaps a bowl of cereal. Yea, more carbs!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
I am exactly the same way. Gotta have those carbs, and I don't have the spikes either. I also don't generally crave sweets and when I do eat them I don't have the same reaction most people do. So I feel very blessed in that regard.

If I have one big meal that has a lot of carbs (a potato, perhaps a piece of bread) that generally is the only "meal" that I will eat that day. I'm not much of a breakfast eater so that meal may be the first thing I eat in my day, and if so, the most I'll have in the evening is a piece of fruit & yogurt or perhaps a bowl of cereal. Yea, more carbs!
Wow, wish i could be like that but i'm a 3 meal a day and one snack person however i do LOVE boiled mashed sweet potato and since it's considered by some to be actually THE most nutritious veggie, i gladly consume, LOL.

Maybe it's the kind of carbs and not necessarily the amount, for some people. i notice a big sweet potato with a bit of butter (fat's necessary for those antioxidants to be absorbed) and a HB egg does not turn me into a monsterous eating machine like candy and pastry does
Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #11  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
Wow, wish i could be like that but i'm a 3 meal a day and one snack person however i do LOVE boiled mashed sweet potato and since it's considered by some to be actually THE most nutritious veggie, i gladly consume, LOL.

Maybe it's the kind of carbs and not necessarily the amount, for some people. i notice a big sweet potato with a bit of butter (fat's necessary for those antioxidants to be absorbed) and a HB egg does not turn me into a monsterous eating machine like candy and pastry does
It definitely IS the type of carbs that matters...sweet potato is good, bakery carbs are not! Also, some fat, esp avocado, olives, are good and necessary (and a little butter goes along way for an occasional mental health day).

Candy, soda, pastry - and the 'man-made' carb/sugar foods screw up blood sugar and insulin regulation and are BAD for us. Natural, grown-out-of-the-earth carbs are better. Of course, if your doctor has told you to cut back on these as well, then follow that, but generally just eating 'clean' 'natural' foods does the trick for health and happiness.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #12  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I doubt it's the same for everyone. I try to eat as few carbs as possible, I make lower carb choices, but that's because I feel like I have better control over hunger swings when I do that. For me, fat fills. However, I would never adopt a full on lifestyle without carbs. I would cheat too much, it'd be pointless. I still like on occasion pasta with bread and butter.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

For me (I have hormonal issues) low carb was absolutely the key to weight loss. If there are no hormones involved, it may not make such a difference. What I found, though, is that low carb allows you to go much lower with the calories without feeling absolutely starved. So, you can get a faster loss. It also eliminates sugar-induced binges and cravings. I further find a low carb diet preserves muscle mass well and mostly induces fat loss.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I honestly think the answer lies in how sensitive your body is to sugar. Some people are just more sensitive to carbs than others.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #15  
Empress/Queen

I count calories but manipulate carbs to my fat burning advantage.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote