Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

Red face Judgement

Anytime I am eating around people I feel like I am constantly being judged. Regardless of how big or little the other people are or if I am eating healthy vs junk. Anyone else feel this way? I almost get embarassed to eat !
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You're right. They're judging you.

I don't know if this will help you but I heard something many years ago which might help you. It's a technique which is designed to change your mind set. I learned it at my first sales job about 20 years ago. I just googled it to find out who created it and found a article which fits what you're dealing with.

SW SW SW

When I think SW SW SW it always brings a smile to my face. Try it next time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

I don't think most people are judging you/us.

My former pastor used to say "Most of the time when we worry what others are thinking about us, they aren't thinking about us at all."

So true. Most people are self-conscious themselves... worried about what others are thinking about them... and also concerned with their own issues.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #4  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I don't know if this will help you but I heard something many years ago which might help you. It's a technique which is designed to change your mind set. I learned it at my first sales job about 20 years ago. I just googled it to find out who created it and found a article which fits what you're dealing with.

SW SW SW

^^ I really enjoyed that link. It's true, some people do and some people don't. It's unfortunate this happens, but worrying if it does won't change it. Just keep moving on!
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #5  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I used to feel this way. Admittedly, it was when I felt very insecure about my body size. The thought still crosses my mind every now and then nowadays. It doesn't bother me much, or as much, I think it's because I've learned to value nourishing myself or valuing my own opinion more than that of what seem like pettily judgemental people. If someone cares that much to watch me eat, let them care. What's the harm? They're allowed. Hopefully they're not judging me negatively. If they are, I feel kind of sorry for them, tbh. There are many more interesting things one could think about. Does that make sense?

Last edited by belovedspirit; 04-05-2013 at 02:08 AM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

For some reason I never worried about this until the last couple of years even though I had probably been close to a bmi of 40 for a decade before that. But I'm afraid I can't shake it now. I think, though, if I were at or very close to ideal weight I wouldn't care. I do think, though, that the judge mental ones are not worth worrying about. They wouldn't be any fun to hang out w anyway.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #7  

I never eat in front of other people, even now that I've lost some weight. I was too embarrassed to eat unhealthy food in front of people because I figured they'd be thinking "so that's how she got so big". If I ate a salad, I felt like a fraud even if its what I was craving.

I don't think most people care what others are eating. But I preferred to stuff my face in the privacy of my own home.

Last edited by elvislover324; 04-05-2013 at 07:04 AM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

There will always be issues like this. My advice is to just forget it and not give a sh$t what anyone thinks. Even last night I had a friend ask me if I was having an affair because I was losing weight. When I was in my 20s a comment like that would have thrown my whole diet into jeopardy. But not now. I just don't give a sh$t.

Last edited by IanG; 04-05-2013 at 07:14 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

When I first started eating healthier, people noticed. I didn't ever say I was losing weight. I said, "I'm doing this to prevent bad heartburn" or "I love carrots/whatever." People pretty much don't bat an eye. Now if I'm drinking a meal replacement, I have to drink it in a different cup cause I've had negative comments on them before
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

I used to think that all the time, and sometimes I still do. I was terrified to eat out because I always thought people were staring at me like "yes hunny, because you should be eating a salad instead of what you're eating". But I've come to the conclusion that no matter what I look like, what I'm wearing, etc etc people will judge you if they want to. So I just don't worry about it anymore.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I don't think most people are judging you/us.

My former pastor used to say "Most of the time when we worry what others are thinking about us, they aren't thinking about us at all."

So true. Most people are self-conscious themselves... worried about what others are thinking about them... and also concerned with their own issues.
^^I agree with this 100%.

I don't think most people are judging me. I don't think they are looking at me or worrying about what I am doing in the least. I really think that most people are just worried about themselves and what they are doing. And I guess that if they are worrying about what I am doing/eating/wearing/whatever, they are wasting their thoughts on me because I really don't care what they think.

I am sorry you feel judged though.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Even last night I had a friend ask me if I was having an affair because I was losing weight.
Seriously?! That never would have occurred to me to even think of. Is your wife/kids/your own self not worthy of your awesome weightloss but a new chick would be?
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You're right. They're judging you.

SW SW SW

Terrific article, thanks for sharing !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I am sorry that you are self-conscious about eating in front of others!

Yup, some do judge, some don't, but it's the ones who actively look at me, peer into my container, ask 'what is that!?' that really make me If I let it bother me, then that is stress on me that I do not need!

I can be mean and say, um, what the eff are you staring at? Or say 'none of your business' or I can stick out my tongue at them, all covered with my masticated food, or just turn my back (this is at work, and it's my employers, husband and wife who call people 'fat' behind their backs).

I usually just say 'food' and turn my back on them.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't know if this will be any consolation, but since I'm one of the older members (in my 60s), I can say that I never worry about what others think about what I'm eating. When I'm out with friends we're too busy talking about the kids, the grands, the doctor's appointments, upcoming procedures, trips, etc. However, I wish I had spent more of my younger years practicing the SW SW SW.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote