Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #1  

Default Chocolate binge, but why don't I feel more guilty?

Hi all,

So I have been working on losing weight since the end of Dec 2012 and so far lost about 12kg. I feel good, i look better, my clothes are all getting loose, people are starting to notice and so far everyone has been amazingly supportive. Things are good. And until now I haven't really binged. I have allowed myself a few treats but it's been controlled and I didn't feel like I had done anything wrong.

So, tonight I can't sleep, I had a short nap this afternoon and for some reason I just cannot sleep now, usually I don't have a problem even if I nap. So I finally decided to have some tea, I haven't had in ages because I have tried to cut sugar out a bit. But I figure it's not the end of the world. So I was looking for a bit of honey to put in the tea and found a chocolate bear I got for Xmas from someone, you know the kind that is hollow inside? I had eaten a little bit before but most was still there. I dunno, I just started eating it thinking, this is bad, I don't need this, I have to stop. Funny thing it wasn't even that good, I much prefer dark chocolate. Most of it was gone when I stopped and just felt silly.

So slipped, but what has me more worried is that I feel like I should be more upset with myself, but I just kinda feel silly and like it happened and I just have to move on. Logically I know it's no good to beat myself up, but I dunno, I thought my first mess up would feel like more of a big deal but I know it won't change that I am going to keep working on getting healthy and I know I just have to work harder in exercising this week.

So, is this a good attitude or am I being too easy on myself?

Ps. It's 12:56am and I still can't sleep, argh...

Last edited by j9nightelf; 03-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.
j9nightelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9nightelf View Post

So, is this a good attitude or am I being too easy on myself?
I think it's a GREAT attitude! In fact, I'd like to see guilt banished completely from people's thoughts about the food they eat.

I think it shows that you are developing a very healthy relationship with food. People need to know that there are no bad foods. None.

When we think in terms of "good" versus "bad" foods, we set ourselves up for all sorts of problems.

How many times have you gone off-plan and then just said "Oh I ate something BAD, so the he** with it?" And then proceeded to go crazy with eating?

But you didn't do that. You basically said "Oh well. Next!"

Which is exactly what your response should always be.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Oh goodness, I'm currently in the same boat. Today, my hormones compelled me to make brownies. Now they were organic/clean/healthier brownies, but brownies nonetheless, and I ate three of them. Normally, I would be kicking myself about it, but I don't seem to care at all. And I'm not even guilty about not being guilty!
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #4  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
How many times have you gone off-plan and then just said "Oh I ate something BAD, so the he** with it?" And then proceeded to go crazy with eating?

But you didn't do that. You basically said "Oh well. Next!"

Which is exactly what your response should always be.

Wow. That has ALWAYS been my response to "messing up." Anytime I would eat something "bad," I would think "well since i already messed up..." and continue to eat poorly. But not after today's browniefest! Thanks for making that point! I can feel proud now
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Moving Forward View Post
Oh goodness, I'm currently in the same boat. Today, my hormones compelled me to make brownies. Now they were organic/clean/healthier brownies, but brownies nonetheless, and I ate three of them. Normally, I would be kicking myself about it, but I don't seem to care at all. And I'm not even guilty about not being guilty!
Good for you! Continue to feel that way!

I hope you enjoyed the heck out of those brownies!

Banish the guilt!

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 03-17-2013 at 08:49 PM.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

I think it's fine, you ate off plan and moved on. The important thing is that you got back on plan right away.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

It's not a bad binge, but that's a component of binging--denial. Like somehow, magically, it isn't going to matter.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Guilt is a useless emotion, that perpetuates more guilt and self floggings and so on. Put it in a box and bury it!

It is March 17, and you just discovered the leftovers of some Christmas chocolate?

And you had a little bit. That's ok.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #9  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

The guilt used to eat me up when I had something I wasn't supposed to. Now I just realize my mistake and resolve to do better. That's a good thing u r not sitting around obsessing.
I have a big chocolate addiction that I now replaced with a protein chocolate bar, get to have my cake and eat it too.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #10  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
It's not a bad binge, but that's a component of binging--denial. Like somehow, magically, it isn't going to matter.
I hardly think that 3/4 of a hollow chocolate bar is a binge.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I thought she said a bear, not a bar, so I was picturing something different. But no, 3/4 of a bar is a blip.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #12  

Hi again,

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has replied to this thread and given your input. All of your encouragement has been great and it feels really good to see that I am on the right track as far as my relationship with food goes.

When I started this journey about 2 and a half months ago I did because I realized that I needed to lose weight but I knew that to do it I would need more then just a crash diet, I need to change my life style and as such the relationship I have with food. As such my goal from the start was not to ever deny myself any food, but rather to learn to understand that I don’t need to eat an entire cake to be satisfied, to understand that if I am going to eat something “bad” then I need to be prepared to balance the scales and thus exercises so that I don’t gain weight as a result.

I am not on any diet plan other then what I make up as I go along which is a bit of a mitch match of calorie counting (I don’t keep an exact total each day but a rough idea) and common sense. So far it’s working and when it stops working I’ll adjust it so that it does again. So far I feel good, I have more energy and my body is happier I think, but sometimes it can be hard to know if you are on track and doing things right, so this feed back has been amazing. I just wanted to let you all know that and say thanks so much.

Oh, and even though I thought I’d probably gain from my little slip, my weight is still the same as it was on Friday. Now mind you it could be less by now, but the good thing is it isn’t more. So here’s to no guilt and getting on with things when life throw chocolate at you.

*hugs*
j9nightelf is offline   Reply With Quote