Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:245 CW:ticker GW:145

Height: 5'

Default Every time I reach "Onederland" I want to cheat...why?!

Anyone else get this way when they reach some kind of goal? I weighed in at 196.2 this morning (lowest I've been in a LONG time). I've lost a total of 30 pounds now (woo! ) BUT now I just want to eat everything! Every time I get under 200 this happens. It's like I celebrate finally being in the 100s by eating enough to get back in the 200s and do it all over again! How can I break this cycle. I'm determined to stay in " Onederland" this time for good. Anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

Thanks!
Curvycurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 AM   #2  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

I'm a goal saboteur too, and what's worked best for me is setting borderline insane time-based goals (like losing 25 pounds in six weeks). Making a goal just on the edge of impossible keeps me motivated because I know that I could make it if all the stars aligned correctly, but in reality I never actually hit any of the goals I set for myself. Since I never actually make it all the way to goal by the pre-determined date, I never kick into celebration mode. I'm always happy with my losses and it doesn't bother me when I don't make my goal weight by my goal date, and when that challenge period has ended I set a new time based, almost-impossible goal. Obviously if you're the type of person who feels a sense of failure about not making a goal, then this would blow up in your face, but it's working for me!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I think part of it has to do with how predominate a part of celebrations/rewards food is in our culture and lives. I actually frequently find myself at a loss to try and think of an alternative way to celebrate stuff. It just happens to be really ironic when your impulse to celebrate reaching a weight lose goal is to eat food you don't need.

I don't really have any advice for you, but at least you are aware of it, that's more than half the battle. Try and think of another way to reward yourself maybe? Oh and congrats on being down 30 lbs.

Last edited by CanadianMomma; 03-17-2013 at 05:08 AM.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

Yes, I do too. Even my very healthy personal trainer sister celebrated with a huge binge the first time she did WW and met her goal. She actually threw herself a food party! But then she exercised the next day and threw herself into maintenance mode and it didn't cause anything more than a tiny blip on the scale.

So, personally, I think it's ok as long as you recognize what you're doing and are able to move on.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMomma View Post
I think part of it has to do with how predominate a part of celebrations/rewards food is in our culture and lives. I actually frequently find myself at a loss to try and think of an alternative way to celebrate stuff. It just happens to be really ironic when your impulse to celebrate reaching a weight lose goal is to eat food you don't need.

I don't really have any advice for you, but at least you are aware of it, that's more than half the battle. Try and think of another way to reward yourself maybe? Oh and congrats on being down 30 lbs.
I completely agree with CanadianMomma - our society seems to think that FOOD & DRINK are the natural reward for any accomplishment - even weight loss! Unfortunately dieting reinforces this, as it is a form of deprivation and we most want what we've given up to accomplish the goal.

I distinctly remember the very first diet I went on (was 18 and trying to lose the Freshman 15 - for me, 20). I had very specific goals set including when I was going to "finish" the diet and what I was going to eat when I did! I managed to lose the weight by that date and the first thing I did was to eat a huge meal! You can imagine what followed, and I've probably lost the same 20-30 lbs at least 7 or 8 times in the 40+ years since.

Perhaps you could reward yourself with something else...a new piece of clothing, or jewelry, or just something you've wanted but didn't feel justified in buying?

Congratulations on your weight loss - you should be very proud of yourself!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #6  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on the weight loss so far! Agree with everyone else. It just shows you how "mental" this whole process is! I have done the same in the past--it's like you figure the lowest weight you've been in a while is your "goal," when it really isn't. Nothing more to really offer you except to say you control your weight destiny and if you want it badly enough, you will reach your ultimate goal. Best of luck to you!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #7  

Congratulations on getting into the infamous onederland!!

This thread (and the other ones like it) scare the life out of me. I was getting so obsessed with getting to 199.9 that I think I stalled my weightloss due to stress. I had to change my goal weight so I would stop staring at the 199. But regardless of when I get there, my eating habits that helped me lose this 116lbs so far are going to continue well into onederland and while I will be dancing down the street the day I see 199, there will be no food reward at all.

I wish you lots of luck. I have already promised myself that I am never ever going to see a "2" on my scale ever again, I can't handle it mentally or physically.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on your loss so far.

Fear of success is a real thing and may be why you're self sabotaging. But being cognizant of it is half the battle. Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:245 CW:ticker GW:145

Height: 5'

Thanks for your replies and support! It's make me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who has dealt with this. I'm going to try hard to get this "reward=food" way of thinking out of my head. It's crazy the way the mind works. I really like the idea of using other little things as a reward and something to look forward too. I think I'll search the forum for some ideas. I weighed in today at 197 this morning (I weigh daily) so I'm staying on track (up a little from too much sodium but no biggie). Its been a week now since I saw 200+ on the scale so I'm feeling very motivated. I'm going to take it one day at a time and if I feel a binge coming on I'll try to remember how great I feel right now instead of trying to convince myself that I can because I reached a goal.

Thanks guys!
Curvycurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/152/120

Height: 5'2"

I don't know if this will work for you, but I am planning to do a special activity for myself when I when I reach my goal. I'm not sure what it is, it could be something just fun, like going bowling with my kids, or maybe something exciting and out of this world, like lasertag, or something crazy like that (I'm an adventurist person at heart, I want to, but really reserved and have never actually gone).
When my daughter reaches a goal (no matter what it is) we do a girls day out, we buy fun earrings, and crazy looking socks, and we go to walmart with a pad of paper and hypothetically redecorate a room in the house. Sometimes we go down to Niagara Falls, and pretend we are tourists, and go in the wax museums, haunted houses, or fun zones.
Think of something you've always wanted to do but never had time for, and do that maybe? Or something relaxing, like going to a spa.
NiagaraGrl is offline   Reply With Quote