Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 240/216/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm not really a big chip eater, but I do sometimes miss the crunch to go along wit my lettuce wraps at lunch. I'm going to try making my own chips. Sweet potato and kale are claimed to be two of the best. This way you don't have all the extra chemicals, you know exactly what is on/in them, and if you go a little overboard homemade baked chips are a healthier version.
SweetAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5´7

I can relate to this!!! I am addicted to Baked Ruffles from Lay´s. I eat the whole bag and could honestly eat another one. I have gained so much weight since I started eating chips with my meals.

I moved to the States from a different country and for me Chips were something for the cinema, snacks while at a party etc. I would NEVER eat them with a meal as a side. Since moving here I adapted so many bad habits and it is so hard to break them since the foods are engineered in a way that gets you hooked.

I honestly try to stay away from them now. Maybe one day I will give it a shot to learn moderation, but as of right now I would feel like it sets off a major binge and that is the last thing I need.

I also believe in positive thinking. I am allowing myself to eat as many chips as I want, I just choose not to right now, since I have a goal to reach.

Last edited by Xena2013; 03-16-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Xena2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #18  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Have you tried making kale chips? I really enjoy them as a great substitute for chips. they get really light and crispy and while they don't taste exactly like potato chips, they don't really taste vegetable-y either.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #19  
Started Jan. 22. 2013

S/C/G: 373/359/273

I like your way of thinking JossFit. But honestly, I would be reaching my goal a lot quicker by not eating them and then incorporate the one evening on the weekend.!
Rachel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #20  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Wavy Lays are my kryptonite. I have them maybe once a month...the regular size bag which is shared among my family of five. I also occasionally buy the Lays Stax which are baked and I don't really like their texture. It works out well for me because I can count out 3-5 chips to satisfy the salt and crunch. I haven't ever binged them because I don't like them as much, don't find them as addictive. Also since there are 5 of us it isn't a real problem...my teenage and tween age sons find the chips quickly. They're helpful like that. Lol.

Last edited by mariposssa; 03-17-2013 at 04:06 AM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I'll claim a spot in the chip addicts group. I'm all about the seasonings though, so I can easily switch to baked or the 'diet' chips, as long as the seasonings are still there.

I would like to point out though that the fact that we all find them so hard to resist has nothing to do with shortcomings on our end; they have been designed by very intelligent people to create just that response.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...anted=all&_r=0

It's just up to us to either figure out a way to incorporate them into a healthy way of eating as a portioned indulgence or to keep them out of our houses all together. Personally I can have a small bowl of chips and be fine, but put any kind of processed cheese product in front of me and all self control goes out the window!
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #22  

Another chip addict here! Given a choice between a sweet treat and chips I'm going to choose the chips 99.5% of the time.

I do eat chips - but now I make a very conscious decision to eat them. I had a bad habit of eating them at night while watching TV, and looking back I realized I wasn't even tasting them. So now I put some in a small salad bowl (no I don't measure - I don't measure ANYTHING any more), sit down with the chips, and SAVOR every single bite. I think about what I'm eating - enjoying all the things I love about them - the crunch, the spices, the saltiness. When I do this I don't feel the need to eat a bag full.

Frankly, I think slowing down the weight loss because you're "cheating" with chips isn't really a bad thing. If they give you pleasure and you can limit it to the weekends, I don't see the harm. That may be a statement of heresy in your particular plan, but that's the way I see it.

I completely agree with Novus on this one
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5´7

@CanadianMomma I have read that article a week ago and I was so pissed. It kinda cured me. I don´t want to hand over my happiness to a bag of chips...
Xena2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #24  

I love this thread, I never knew there were so many chip addicts!!

I agree with Eskadee's post above that says if there was only one food I could live off, it would be chips too!

I will never eat chips in moderation and single serve bags will never work for me. It's really sad to think about but it's really one of those definite trigger foods that makes me eat like crazy.

Actually now that I think about it, it seems to be potatoes in general. But chips sure are my favorite!!

(And imagine my horror yesterday when my DH left french fries on his plate that got thrown out!! Potatoes aren't in my plan so I can't even have one single french fry!!)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I came back to this thread to actually suggest Kale Chips (as another few people did). You should REALLY try these, I can eat a huge bunch of kale just by making them into chips. And you don't even have to feel guilty afterwards. And making them is soooo easy!
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #26  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I tried kale chips...both homemade and store bought. Not even close to potato chips. SO BITTER. Maybe it's because I'm a super taster, though. I wanted to like them. But, I hated them.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitie9399 View Post
So this is crazy:

I saw on the news the other day that Dorito's is actually putting a chemical in their chips that signals one of your brain waves to keep eating. That's crazy!!!! No wonder people can't resist, Dorito's is making you eat by tricking your brain!

Personally, I think that should be illegal. Using chemicals to alter the brains food sensors and basically turn off the 'I'm full' or the 'I don't want anymore' sensors in our brains. Not cool.
Personally, I think this is just a legend. I dont think a big company will do something like this.

I am addict and it seems I will always do. So, I just dont buy them. It may be a little odd but I know in which corner of the store they put them, so I just do not go there. I like Doritos and I like pita bread chips and wont buy them because I cannot eat them in moderation. I would eat the whole bag (yes, I can eat a bag from Costco).
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #28  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried Lay's Light Chips yet? I saw them in the store the other day. Half the calories as regular chips and fat free. There are 75 calories in about 15 chips.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #29  
the muse of memory

Quote:
Another trick is to buy individually packaged bags, and just eat one bag. For example, a Doritos snack bag is only 150 calories. It might be by doing that you're doing your family a favor as well by reducing the amount they eat. You don't have to tell them that's why you're doing it, just tell them it was on sale or something.
I would do that for the family. I like chips, I still eat them semi-regularly, and I just buy individually packaged bags that come in a big bag or box. I like it because it forces me to eat just one serving, and I am not tempted by a giant bag o' chips.

I buy the Lay's "Healthy Bunch" which are not so delicious that I am wildly tempted by them at all times (a combo of Baked Lays, Baked Doritos, Baked Cheetohs, Sun Chips and pretzels) and the 6-pack of pop chips, which has 3 regular and 3 barbque. The pop chips are actually my favorite and the most satisfying, but I don't love barbeque.

Anyway: buy the fam individual bags. They will have their choice of a variety of things and you will have an easier time making the choices that you want to make too!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSophia View Post
Personally, I think this is just a legend. I dont think a big company will do something like this.
It's not a legend, it's the foundation of the processed food industry. EVERYTHING from "mouth feel" to packaging is about engaging your brain and tricking it into wanting more. Read, "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us" for more info. After reading that and a few other articles and well researched, credible books, I am so pissed off at the food industry (and the government, for letting it happen) you couldn't pay me to eat junk food.

For further info on just how much our government has sold us out to big agriculture and the processed food giants, read, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" or Google for information on Monsanto.

Fast food and junk food aren't just bad for you or the environment, they're killing you for profit and they know it.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote