Mini rant (well maybe not so mini)

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I feel ya!!!

The other night, I was talking with my mom about my weight loss goals like usual with no problems but this was the first time I've ever experienced this kind of reaction from her. I asked if she thought I could get to 140 by the end of November in time for my 28th birthday. She then said "why are you trying to get so skinny?" Huh? 140 is skinny for? No, I'd still be just a smidge overweight bec of my height. I just wanna be healthy. She said you're fine now, you don't really need to lose anymore right now and yadayadayada. I could tell we were getting to the point of an argument so I just said you're right to shut her up.

I'm gonna do my own thing and not talk to anyone especially her anymore except here.
  • I NEVER tell anyone I am dieting, that saves a lot of thoughtless remarks and also keeps the diet police quiet, not to mention keeping the diet saboteurs away.
  • Lol, I share my weight journey with lots of people, even on FB. Everyone is either silent or supportive or says I am not fat, which I know but once I was so I work on it ... & always will.

I don't care what anyone says about it lol. People usually are just being nice but it is fun to share.
  • Lol, I share my weight journey with lots of people, even on FB. I don't care what they say about it, they mean well regardless. Mostly people are just focused on their own projects but try to support us as best they can.
  • I'm open with everyone. I dont mind if people comment or give their "suggestions" on diets. I think it makes for a nice discussion about different healthy choices or why I think their diet suggestion might not be the best. I've even gotten some great advice that I'd never think of. I just don't take the "You dont need to lose weight" or other comments to heart. No one ever means anything mean or discouraging by them.
  • Quote: The only person I share my weight loss (before pregnancy) is my husband.
    Once you tell people you are trying to lose weight, they will tell you all kind of negative things and they will try to push food on you.
    Not everyone is like that, by any means! I find quite the opposite. People are excited and happy for me that I have lost so much weight, and often my friends will smile and comment on how much happier I am and all the things I can do now. Even my doctor, chiro and surgeon have all told me how proud of me they are. LOL once at a picnic my close friend even laughingly picked up the potato chip bag and moved it to the other end of the table when she saw me getting into it.

I can't be the ONLY person with wonderful, supportive friends and associates!

However, in response to the OP, it is unrealistic to share with others that we are losing weight and expect them to have the reactions we want from them... or become hurt or frustrated if they do not respond as we would like.
  • I find that a lot of people say things like "but you're not fat" as a way of being defensive about their OWN weight issues. If you point out that YOU need to lose weight, then they are being reminded that they too could stand to lose a few pounds, and it makes them feel guilty that you are doing something about it and they are not right now. I find it funny because in this situation you aren't saying anything about the other person at all, but they just often seem to internalize it and then put up these defense mechanisms.

When people ask me how I lost the weight and I start telling them about running, VERY often their first response is a list of reasons why THEY can't run (I didn't suggest that they should). It's interesting how people seem to naturally make these things about themselves.
  • I am not ashamed or embarassed to be dieting. I don't mind if someone asks me if I am on a diet or if I have lost weight or how I did it.
    I save myself a lot of grief by not announcing it but will certainly admit it if asked.