3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   To weigh or not to weigh.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/277528-weigh-not-weigh.html)

Kel2030 03-12-2013 09:43 PM

To weigh or not to weigh....

How often do you weigh yourself? I am so OCD driven and typically step on the scale every morning. Some days it is empowering, but most it is frustrating. Should it be once a week? Once a month?

What works best for you?

SouthernMaven 03-12-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel2030 (Post 4665835)
How often do you weigh yourself? I am so OCD driven and typically step on the scale every morning. Some days it is empowering, but most it is frustrating. Should it be once a week? Once a month?

What works best for you?

I weigh once a month. That works best for me.

LRH 03-12-2013 10:04 PM

I weigh once a day. I think the key is you have to know yourself and what works best for you. I know that if I don't weigh every day, I would allow myself to be a little too free with portions, knowing that the weigh-in was some time in the future. I'm a procrastinator at heart, so "tomorrow" is when I would promise myself to stay OP. Daily weigh-ins keep me honest!

allmylife 03-12-2013 10:05 PM

I use to weigh every day, but now I only do once a week. It keeps me in check without obsessing over every ounce.

Alibaibee 03-12-2013 10:11 PM

My roommate and I were just talking about that this morning.

Personally, I have not stepped on a scale in 9 weeks, and couldn't be happier about it. I don't have a number dictating whether I feel good about myself for the day or step away disappointed. I'm proud of myself for all of my hard work, I don't need a silly number!

I judge my weight loss by how my clothes fit, with measuring tape, and by the way I feel. I know I am treating my body better, and it is treating me better in return by providing me with the energy I need each day!

I wish more people would ditch scales on a regular basis. You are more than a number. You are beautiful, strong, and have so much to offer whether the scale says 300 or 150, it should really just read AWESOME :)

Ween yourself off of the scale, you will feel better!

bbrides 03-12-2013 10:12 PM

I am resisting weighing in every day and find once a week is better. I am encouraged, but wish it would come off quicker.

immaculate 03-12-2013 10:17 PM

I weigh daily but try not to obsess too much over the fluctuations. I track my weight with a spreadsheet and graph, so I can see the overall downward trend. For me, I like that daily weighing helps me see any patterns (ex. steady for a few days, quick loss for a few days).

SweetAsCanBe 03-12-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alibaibee (Post 4665879)
My roommate and I were just talking about that this morning.

Personally, I have not stepped on a scale in 9 weeks, and couldn't be happier about it. I don't have a number dictating whether I feel good about myself for the day or step away disappointed. I'm proud of myself for all of my hard work, I don't need a silly number!

I judge my weight loss by how my clothes fit, with measuring tape, and by the way I feel. I know I am treating my body better, and it is treating me better in return by providing me with the energy I need each day!

I wish more people would ditch scales on a regular basis. You are more than a number. You are beautiful, strong, and have so much to offer whether the scale says 300 or 150, it should really just read AWESOME :)

Ween yourself off of the scale, you will feel better!

I really need to follow this advice. I try to tell myself just weigh once a week at most, bit I don't listen to myself on that too well. I need to just have my husband hide the scale from me.

Arctic Mama 03-12-2013 10:31 PM

I typically weigh daily and chart the trend, which takes all the power away from the number. Not everyone benefits from this, and some seasons are better than others regarding whether this is helpful :)

Mozzy 03-12-2013 10:51 PM

I weigh daily and track on a graph.

You need to figure out if that keeps you accountable or makes you obsessive, it's different for everyone.

April Snow 03-13-2013 12:13 AM

I weigh when I feel like it. I don't want to waste any will power over whether I should or shouldn't get on the scale. Mostly that means 3-4 times a week, but if I happen to be curious more than that, then it means more often. I use Sundays as my "official" WI day, when I update my tickers, but even so, I've skipped it if I knew it would not be a good WI and I didn't want to risk that throwing me off track.

Basically, I look at the scale as one of my weight loss tools and I use it to help me, not in a way that could hinder my efforts.

JohnP 03-13-2013 12:39 AM

I don't own a scale. When I did I weighed daily, first thing in the morning.

livelaughlovesunshin 03-13-2013 12:43 AM

Usually once a day.. sometimes more.

memememe76 03-13-2013 12:44 AM

I don't own a scale either. I weigh myself at the gym maybe twice per year. Maybe.

I used to weigh myself daily. I placed too much of my self-worth on the number.

chubbybunny29 03-13-2013 12:48 AM

I weigh every morning. For me, this works best for two reasons 1) When I'm struggling, the fact that I have to see a number on the scale within 24 hours is sometimes what keeps me away from bad choices 2) Any time I stop weighing daily, its a bit of a slippery slope for me to go back to bad eating habits.

This being said, I declare one day a week my official weigh in (for measuring my loss for the week)