Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Default Um, am I being stupid?

I've always had a very sensitive stomach, and gallbladder issues. In fact, I've been told my several doctors that I should have my gallbladder removed. (I'm the only one in my whole family that still HAS a gallbladder)

However, a BIG reason that I never have had it removed is because I'm afraid I'll gain weight!

It sounds so crazy but anytime I am eating like crap, or letting my weight get up there, I always have stomach/gallbladder issues that really encourage me to get it all under control. And everyone in my family that has had their's removed has always gained 10 or so pounds just because they enjoy the fact of eating greasy comfort foods without pain.

I was writing in another post earlier about how I don't really mind the feeling of being hungry and as I thought about it, I realized mostly it's because when my stomach is empty I don't hurt at all, and the feeling of hunger is not as horrible, when it's in comparison to your tummy hurting. And when I eat on a empty stomach, I rarely have any tummy issues, so it's like an added bonus to let myself get hungry

So, do you think that is super crazy? I am healthy overall, and there isn't 'impending' issues with my stomach. I take a prevacid a day and all is 100% okay IF I am eating lightly and healthfully, so it's not like I'm putting up with daily pain specifically.

But, I feel like, in our society we fix symptoms instead of problems a lot, and IF my gallbladder is acting up b/c I am doing stuff unhealthy, shouldn't I try to change my habits instead of just snatching my gallbladder out?

I feel like that is the equivalent of taking the batteries out of the smoke detectors just so they won't bug you. It works, but it totally takes away their purpose.

On the other hand, I know it acts up occasionally whether I'm 'healthy' or not, so it's not like eating healthy and being thin will totally change it. But for right now, it's very manageable.

Thoughts? What do you feel like you would do in my situation?
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Oh man, I don't know how the people you know enjoy all that fat without pain! I had my gall bladder out 3 years ago and if I eat too much fat at one time my stomach lets me know immediately and I better have access to a bathroom, like NOW. No fun!!!!!! No fun at all!!!!!!!!!!!

My gall bladder bothered me intensely for 9 years before I had to get it out in emergency surgery. Though I never had a dr believe me, the pain was not always caused by food. I had surgery scheduled but had such a bad attack while waiting it had to come out right then. I was getting the stones stuck in the, whatever it's called, the little passage way, and it was making me sick for days on end in pain.

I think in your situation it sounds like it isn't to a point where you feel like you just have to have it out. As long as your dr thinks it's safe to wait it out, do whatever you think is best for you and your body!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

I lost weight after my gallbladder was removed...not only that, but I learned that I am allergic to my own bile! So, in other words, I am absolutely able to keep my cravings under control. More fat eaten = more bile produced. NO THANK YOU!

I say, if the pain isn't too bad, do what you feel best. My gallbladder had dried up and died, so I had no choice in having it removed as it was adversely effecting my liver and pancreas. For me...the pain was beyond bareable. Do what you feel best..unless a doctor tells you it is dangerous to keep it, which can be the case for some folks.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

One day, that pain will be so intense you'll be screaming to the to take it out. A blocked gall bladder can turn into an emergency, and if given a choice, I would most definitely want to plan for a surgery and healing versus having to just deal with it.

Now, I agree, eating to avoid problems is a good idea, but at some point (and it seems you are experiencing this) it won't just be when you eat fatty foods that it will bother you, but other times as well.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #5  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello..

I had nmy gallbladder taken out 31 years ago (the icky kind of surgery where they cut you from stem to stern so to speak). I could not live with the pain (I wanted to cut out my insides and I had had bad cramps during TOM with 5 aspirin and this was 100X's worse pain). But the pain did not always happen when I ate fat. It happened whenever it wanted. Before I had the surgery, my surgeon told me to eat plain plain plain plain nothing spicy (back then they thought that spices were a problem) and not Chocolate (that was hard!!) I lost about 5 lbs before I had the surgery and liked that idea. But then I still had minor attacks during the wait time too... Not as bad.. but still painfull. Those darn cholesteral stones getting stuck trying to get into the byle duct argh.... I am so glad I had the surgery. NO possibility of weight loss is worth the dealing with the pain. That is my story. If you are able to maintain control and not have spasm pains in your byle duct I am very very happy for you. I send you for this situation!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 03-05-2013 at 11:39 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #6  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

To add..... The funny thing.. for at least 10 years after my surgery (Feb 1982) every February I would have major pain in the area where my gallbladder was. Memory/Phantom pain The 1st year it scared me so much I did not leave my bed.. but then I realized that it was just a mental scare.. but real pain tho. Aren't our bodies weird??
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #7  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I guess it varies by person - a friend of mine had her gall bladder removed and she has to be very careful about eating anything with a lot of fat now so she wouldn't be the one eating all that greasy comfort food without discomfort.

But like others are saying, I'd guess that it's not a big enough problem to you yet. If that changes, you can always go ahead with the surgery then.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

The people you know ate fatty food to gain those 10 pounds. Would you suddenly revert to eating poorly if you had your gallbladder out?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I was diagnosed with gall stones 6 or 7 years ago. I still have my gall bladder though. Shortly after finding out about the gall stones, I gave up animal products and haven't really had an issue since. A couple years ago, I overdid it on nuts and felt kind of queasy but haven't had the 'oh my god, I think I'm dying' feeling that I had during my first few gall bladder attacks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid77 View Post

So, do you think that is super crazy? I am healthy overall, and there isn't 'impending' issues with my stomach. I take a prevacid a day and all is 100% okay IF I am eating lightly and healthfully, so it's not like I'm putting up with daily pain specifically.
Then if it's not detrimental to your health and your doctors are okay with it being in, I would leave it in. That's a major surgery, and you always want to avoid major surgery if you can. You can think of the healthy eating as a bonus, but not the main reason.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #11  

I know someone who was on a low calorie diet (not eating any junk or fried foods) and needed to have emergency gallbladder surgery due to the pain he had. He had the surgery, recovered fairly quickly, and now has lost at least another 40lbs since then (it was a few months ago). It definitely didn't hinder his weightloss.

I hope you find the right solution. I am deathly afraid when I go to the hospital for scheduled surgery but emergencies scare me more, esp. if I am going with pain!

Last edited by elvislover324; 03-05-2013 at 01:41 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
One day, that pain will be so intense you'll be screaming to the to take it out. A blocked gall bladder can turn into an emergency, and if given a choice, I would most definitely want to plan for a surgery and healing versus having to just deal with it.
This happened to my wife. It seems like just an occasional problem but it turned into an emergency situation ...

Take it out.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I'm pretty sure you also have to be careful what you eat once the gallbladder is out. Its much safer to do it in a non-emergency situation ... I'd schedule it.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #14  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
One day, that pain will be so intense you'll be screaming to the to take it out.
^^This.

This is pain that I can tell you is worse than labor. I'd get it out sooner than later because eventually it will more than likely be an emergency surgery.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
^^This.

This is pain that I can tell you is worse than labor. I'd get it out sooner than later because eventually it will more than likely be an emergency surgery.
When I went to the doctor, surgery wasn't even presented as an option. I was just told to eat a low fat diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote