Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #16  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I find it hard to believe that 15 mins of resistance band work would cause much weight gain - even water weight gain. Maybe a little?? I would guess the stall is from a combo of a calorie change and/or normal weight fluctuations. And you haven't actually gained any weight. I'm sure a change is coming.

Keep doing the bands - they are good for you!!!

Also, I'm sorry to burst your bubble on the loose skin thing, but the bands won't help with that. There are so many rumors and wive's tales about that but the reality is If you're going to have loose skin, you're going to have loose skin. There are some great threads on here for this topic. I won't re-type it all out, but read the stickies on the Body Image After Weight Loss forum in the Maintainer's area.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I use resistance bands too and have been for about 7 of the 9 months I've been actively working towards a better lifestyle. I love them! I feel well worked out after about 45 minutes of them and I supplement with bodyweight training (pushups and planks). I only do them 3 times a week and I certainly feel more tight and muscley now. I have biceps...that I can flex. I certainly feel like they've helped with my weightloss!

In the first 3-4 weeks of using the bands, I experienced a similar stall and then all of a sudden things started moving again. Give it a bit before you panic. Stick with it for 6 weeks or so before you decide if they're not worth it. It takes a while to feel out what will work best for you. I'm now thinking of moving to heavy lifting because I'm at the max resistance that I can find (heavy).

The resistance bands to prevent loose skin is hogwash. Cross that bridge when you come to it as there isn't really much you can do to prevent it! I personally would rather have loose skin problems than problems fitting into airplane seats/amusement park rides/theatre seats/picnic tables/etc.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
I find it hard to believe that 15 mins of resistance band work would cause much weight gain - even water weight gain.
I don't. It only takes a very small input of resistance training to force adaptations.

For someone new to "lifting" 15 minutes is plenty to cause big adapations. It just depends what one is doing in those 15 minutes.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

@johnp thanks for the feedback! I've read your other posts and they're so helpful! I decided to keep going with the resistance bands... My arms do seem to be toning and responding well! Thank you everyone!!! You guys are awesome
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellig19 View Post
I use resistance bands too and have been for about 7 of the 9 months I've been actively working towards a better lifestyle. I love them! I feel well worked out after about 45 minutes of them and I supplement with bodyweight training (pushups and planks). I only do them 3 times a week and I certainly feel more tight and muscley now. I have biceps...that I can flex. I certainly feel like they've helped with my weightloss!

In the first 3-4 weeks of using the bands, I experienced a similar stall and then all of a sudden things started moving again. Give it a bit before you panic. Stick with it for 6 weeks or so before you decide if they're not worth it. It takes a while to feel out what will work best for you. I'm now thinking of moving to heavy lifting because I'm at the max resistance that I can find (heavy).

The resistance bands to prevent loose skin is hogwash. Cross that bridge when you come to it as there isn't really much you can do to prevent it! I personally would rather have loose skin problems than problems fitting into airplane seats/amusement park rides/theatre seats/picnic tables/etc.

you're so right!! I'm going to stick with the resistance bands and like you said the stall might be temporary and things should start moving later on!
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #21  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Don't stop the resistance bands. Your body is responding and adapting to the new imputs.

Weight training slows weight loss but accelerates fat loss.

Fat is what you want to lose. Forget the short term results of the scale.
^This. Eventually the scale will start to move again but in the meantime you WILL shrink in size. Pretty even trade if you ask me.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #22  
Empress/Queen

I agree with JohnP, small amounts of resistance training can cause adaptation in muscle and positive changes in the body and you should keep at it because being strong is more important than the number on a scale.

I don't actually believe in the word "toning" but that is just semantics.

What we think of as "toning" does, though, result in a sleeker physique and smaller size and a strong body will burn more calories eventually and that will show up on the scale.

I actually do think "toning" over a long period of time helps with the appearance of "loose skin" because as muscle gets a little bigger it kind of fills things out, improves circulation and the appearance of the skin, gets rid of toxins (my own thought) and just makes us glow and feel better overall.

Muscle is good.

Keep doing the bands.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #23  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Stick with it. Anytime you introduce a new activity, it takes time.

Resistance training, especially if you've never done any and are lacking in muscle, is going to cause stalls while your body works on repairs.

Your body needs time to adjust.

I started working out similar to you, now I can dead lift 185# x 10, seated row 100# x 10. Row 2000 meters in 10 minutes, Etc.

Last week, just to see if I could, I decided to walking lunge the .10 mile track at my gym. 143 lunges! WOOF!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #24  

Height: 5'8.5"

Call it whatever you want... I agree... but whatever you call it, the more I have increased the intensity of my workouts, the more my weight loss has stalled now for a little over two months. However, I have gone down a pants size and am also into smaller blouses. Not to mention I notice things like the fact that I can now encircle my wrist with the finger and thumb of my other hand, etc. But I am within 3 or 4 pounds of what I weighed two months ago.

My doctor says I am probably building muscle... so that is good enough authority for me. I am certainly not an expert on what exactly is causing it, but I like it and plan to keep it up.

Interesting... the vast majority of my workouts are in the pool... and I just found this

http://www.livestrong.com/article/18...scle-swimming/

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 02-22-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote