Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

Default Underarm bumps

Hi guys,

This is kind of gross but I have to ask. Does anyone else get painful bumps/boils in their underarm?

It happens for me when I sweat too much and can last about a couple weeks. Shaving helps initially but then I get a whole host of issues with ingrown hairs
I used to think it was friction caused by my weight but I'm no longer overweight and it still happens. Anyone have these go away at a lower weight?

Thanks in advance for your response!
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Is it possibly this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa

I had it, and it went away at a lower weight.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #3  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Have you tried avoiding deodorant, maybe use baking soda. Or tea tree oil it's antibacterial. I put some on the night before and can go a day or two without deodorant. Also chlorophyll will help body odor, so no need for deodorant that often.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

I haven't tried alternatives to deodorant but, I'm a little scared to try...my south asian genes mean that I sweat A LOT.
A couple hours without deodorant (specifically, anti-perspirant), and people around me start noticing.
How well do alternatives work?
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #5  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I am a bit of a freak of nature. I sweat pretty bad under one arm, the other hardly sweats. (embarrassing) Tea tree oil kills the bacteria that causes the smell, but is a little harsh for some. I am fine with it, I even like the smell, it unclogs my nose with a quickness. I don't use it daily but when I know I am going to be hugging family or friends all day the next day I use it. The chlorophyll really eliminated smells too, even my poop smelled less. Maybe u can try a natural deodorant like from Jason's brand. It's all worth a shot
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #6  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I used to have this issue. Try switching your deodorant. The cause for mine was that the deodorant I was using was blocking my pores.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #7  
Ghost in the Shell

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 6'0"

I had this issue once or twice. I think it was the brand of deodorant. I switched brands because the brand I was using wasn't working that well anyways and haven't had one since.
Batou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #8  

I do much better with the gel deodorants than I do with solids. Something about the solids makes every seem so plugged up and dry, esp. after shaving.

The only gel I can find lately is Lady Speed Stick and only certain stores carry it.

I hope it's something simple like this that helps you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #9  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I have what mandalinn82 mentioned- HS. Yucky irritating skin disease- mostly I have just have it on my bikini line. :: sigh ::
Doesn't have anything to do with sweating though.
Mine seems to be triggered my hormone changes.

I hope changing deodorant works!
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I've done two things in the past:

1. Baby powder - it dried the area better than a moisture-rich deodorant and I could reapply without clumping.

2. Face wash my underarms in the shower - I use a few different face washes (for price or just to change it up), washes with astringent or exfoliators (sp?). What they did for me was get the icky oils out of my skin and helped cleanse my pores to minimize the bumps. I was also applying baby powder in substitute for deodorant.

Basically, I cleaned and dried out the underarm area and was able to keep applying baby powder if I sweated it off during the day. Just kept a small, vacation-sized container in my purse and reapplied in the bathroom. I have naturally dark hair and pale skin, so I'll always have the darker color in my underarms, but I no longer get the bumps.

I'm certainly not a doctor, but this worked for me. Good luck, and hope it helps
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

This used to happen to me all the time... It all went away when I changed my deodorant to a gel kind... I also suggest 4 other things.

1. Change your razor often and DON'T leave it in the shower (perfect environment for bacteria)
2. DON'T put deodorant on immediately after shaving
3. Make sure you're using enough shaving cream
4. Dry off your armpits immediately after exercising
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote