Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I found a couple of great reads yesterday on why we have problems losing weight. One is regarding how long we must wait to see any results worth a flip. The other is why we have a hard time losing weight.

Chin up sweety. I was dieting and exercising for six months before a single pound dropped off me. I am now over 30 pounds lighter. I changed my dieting technique and that did the trick. I checked with a nutritionist, who helped me figure out what was best for my body. You'll get there. Hugs!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

i stopped losing weight for a bit over 2 weeks then i binged and gained 2.6 pounds in one day and i kept eating 1200-1380 and still couldnt drop weight plus i couldnt lose the 2.6 so i upped my calories back to what myfitnesspal said would have me losing 1 pound a week (i always lost 2 a week tho on 1640cals) and the next day i dropped 2.4lbs. its very possible that your eating too little. even 1380 was too little for me to lose weight. go by what MFP suggests will make you lose 1 pound a week, you should lose more than 1 pound maybe even more than 2 as long as you dont go over that MFP suggests.

the other option is that your not counting every calorie but if you feel you are then you must be under eating which i think you are since the same thing happend to me.

Last edited by deadkittens; 02-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #33  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkittens View Post
i stopped losing weight for a bit over 2 weeks then i binged and gained 2.6 pounds in one day and i kept eating 1200-1380 and still couldnt drop weight plus i couldnt lose the 2.6 so i upped my calories back to what myfitnesspal said would have me losing 1 pound a week (i always lost 2 a week tho on 1640cals) and the next day i dropped 2.4lbs. its very possible that your eating too little.
Fat loss is not the same thing as weight loss. Learning the difference between the two is very helpful to understanding what is and what isn't happening with out bodies.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant11 View Post
Sorry! I edited the post!

1200 calories a day -- too low?

In the past, I've lost weight by eating 1200 calories a day though.
I was actually going to ask, have you dieted in the past?

But that answered my question. It makes sense from your body's POV that you aren't losing; possibly even gaining. The first few times you probably lost on 1200, but then put the weight back on. During the restriction, your body lowered its metabolism, so that the next time you were "starving" it, you wouldn't drop as much weight so fast like the first time. Now you're at it again, but this time your body knows what's coming with only 1200 calories, so it hordes fat, and even takes everything you eat and stores it. It's like if you suddenly lost your job and your savings was being depleted. Well, you wouldn't go out and spend like crazy would you? No. You'd hang onto every last penny until you got another job.

The body has no idea that you want to lose weight for health or looks or whatever. At your height and weight, and at 1200 caloies(!) your body thinks you live where no food exists, so it's trying to keep you alive.

Point: you need to eat more. Loss of hunger signals also happens to people with anorexia. The body no longer bothers sending them because it thinks you have no access to food.

Last edited by bingefree2013; 02-02-2013 at 01:27 PM.
bingefree2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #35  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

People that say fat loss is calories in, calories out think they're right but it's not the case for people like me. I have Hashimotos and am metabolically sensitive to carbs. "Metabolic Syndrome" I think is the catch-all term but all it means is that I'm sensitive to insulin spikes.

Between the two, I cannot lose weight simply by cutting calories. PERIOD. It matters much more WHAT I eat than how MUCH I eat. Fat/Protein is good. I am satisfied and my insulin levels stay low and I lose weight almost without effort. Carbs, for me, are bad. They spike my insulin, drive up my hunger, assist my body in storing fat and make it impossible for me to lose weight.

I'm not saying strict calorie control doesn't work for some people, but I get very frustrated when people preach that it's the only thing that matters for EVERYONE because that is NOT the case. If someone who is strictly controlling their caloric intake is not losing weight, they may indeed have one or more metabolic issues like I do that is hindering their efforts. Address the underlying issue either through medication or dietary changes and the problem may go away entirely. As it did with me.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote