Feeling Cold All The Time

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • re:
    Yes. I've always run hot, but no longer. I don't know how I could live in a house set to 60-65. Mine is set to 72 and I'm still freezing.
  • It's probably the worst part about weight loss. I'm sitting right now in a room that is 68 degrees. I have on cuddle duds under my pants. My pants are corduroy. I have on a wool sweater and a heavy fleece jacket over that and I have on smart wool socks and leather shoes. I am shivering cold. It's freaking ridiculous.

I lose all this weight so I have to pile on the heavy, bulky clothes!

Hopefully, when my body re-regulates itself once it realizes I'm not starving it any more (and no I'm not starving it, but when you continually burn calories and force your body to lose weight, it acts as if resources are limited which includes turning down the furnace to try to conserve energy so we don't burn more calories), then I'll warm back up to a normal level.
  • In 2004, I moved to Alabama for two years. After that I moved back to Michigan. The joke in my house is I moved to Alabama and got cold. In Montgomery, the air conditioner was cranked everywhere I went. I was freezing at work all the time. Out of curiosity, I bought a thermometer. It was 65 degrees at my desk in the middle of summer. I was cold in stores, in my apartment building, in restaurants, just everywhere I was inside that had air conditioning, really. I did lose weight while I was there but even when I gained it back, and more, I was still cold unless I was really active or it was really hot. Apparently, living in Alabama where everyone kept the AC cranked all the time reset my thermostat.

It's gotten worse since I've lost so much weight. I now have a heated blanket on my bed that I can no longer sleep without. My hands and feet are usually cold during the day at work. At home, I'm usually huddled under a blanket. As I type this, I'm wearing sweats, thick socks and I'm covered with a blanket. My feet are still cold. About the only times I'm comfortably warm are when I'm in bed, right after I shower or, oddly, when I'm outside when it's cold but I've got my coat and gloves on, or when I'm in my car by myself with the heat cranked.

I've had my thyroid tested too and it's normal. I guess this is just something to deal with.
  • Where i live your summer is our winter and our summer is probably boiling in oil for you, with over 46 celcius....anyway when i was 100 pounds i was cold even at springtime at 25 celcius, but now that i started on a diet again i am feeling VERY cold/freezing actually AFTER i eat whenever i eat i have to let sometime pass to feel warm again, i don't know why ....
  • so very glad to see that i am not alone!

it bugs me that i lost weight (partly) to wear cute things and now im too cold to wear them LOL!
  • Feeling cold is more about being in a caloric deficit than having less padding. Once you reach maintenance it should get noticeably better (though you may not feel as hot as you did when at your highest weight).

F.
  • Yup - what everyone else is saying. The last time I lost weight, I felt it and then maintained for awhile and didn't feel it. Now that I'm losing again, it's back! Once you settle in maintenance you'll be fine. (And now I will stop complaining about how cold it is here in Ohio. )
  • Im starting to think its more than just losing fat.. during my weight loss last year I was cold ALL THE TIME and now i just started getting back into my strict ways and boom - the constant coldness is back. Im thinking maybe im missing certain vitamins or something cos this cant be normal. Im always the coldest... when I was younger, I was always boiling! lol
  • Quote: Feeling cold is more about being in a caloric deficit than having less padding. Once you reach maintenance it should get noticeably better (though you may not feel as hot as you did when at your highest weight).

F.
    a-ha! makes so much more sense.