Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default A pound of muscle, a pound of fat!

A pound is a pound, be it fat, muscle, feathers, dog food, uncooked rice, horse oats, goose down, hay, kitty kibble, lettuce, quilt stuffing, what ever.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, it's just more dense and takes up less space!

A pound of goose feathers weighs a pound, a pound of ball bearings weighs a pound, which takes up less space?

The concept that muscle weighs more than fat annoys me to no end!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

Yea I know what you mean... 2 people can have the same weight but still look different like how if one is xxxlbs but mostly fat they will still look slightly bigger than xxxlbs of mostly muscle.
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

I think that people get confused because people visualize that if muscle and fat were the same size, like a cubic inch of each, then muscle would weigh more. So even though that they only lost a few inches, but never lost a single pound, then the attribute the reduced space of fat to muscle.
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've always thought the "per unit volume" was implied.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I've always thought the "per unit volume" was implied.
I agree. While the actual statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is technically inaccurate, I believe *most* people actually mean a pound of muscle takes up less space.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I agree. While the actual statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is technically inaccurate, I believe *most* people actually mean a pound of muscle takes up less space.
Yup, a jar of muscle will weigh more than the same jar of fat. So in that instance, muscle weighs more than fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

I agree with the per unit volume being implied. I think everyone understands it just fine. "Muscle weighs more than fat" is just a common way of expressing it.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I would like to believe that people mean per unit volume. But to be honest, there is so much misinformation out there, that I am not really sure. A lot of people also think that women can gain enough muscle mass to make the scale go up quickly because they are working out or that they gain weight being in "starvation mode" if they cut calories or that you automatically lose weight on a vegetarian diet or any number of other fallacies.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #9  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

To be fair, if you say muscle and fat weigh the same, you are implying a "per unit weight" to that statement.

I do vote you start saying "muscle is more dense than fat" and spread around the proper unit of measure, since density is mass/volume. Then the "per unit volume" is no longer implied.

We could also go a step further and say the concept of weight itself is annoying, because weight=mass*acceleration of gravity. Thus, you have the same mass no matter where you are, but if you'd like to lose weight, then just get as far from the center of the Earth as possible.

I'd love a scale that measured me in Newtons.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I've been weight training for almost 10 years now and I'm beyond the point of annoyance, simply giggle at the misconceptions out there. Which is a shame because I think a lot of women would love their physique after proper training but most are too scared to do so because they believe all those myths.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #11  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmos View Post

We could also go a step further and say the concept of weight itself is annoying, because weight=mass*acceleration of gravity. Thus, you have the same mass no matter where you are, but if you'd like to lose weight, then just get as far from the center of the Earth as possible.

I'd love a scale that measured me in Newtons.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #12  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
. . .A lot of people also think that women can gain enough muscle mass to make the scale go up quickly because they are working out or that they gain weight being in "starvation mode" if they cut calories or that you automatically lose weight on a vegetarian diet or any number of other fallacies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeneralpublic View Post

That being said, people tried to make me feel better by saying muscle weighs more than fat. I wanted to slap them!
Ha! Ya those are whole other issues I suppose. I think for the most part people are well meaning in their "it must be muscle" and "remember muscle weighs more than fat" comments; though I've found typically in the context those phrases are thrown out, they are usually (if not always) inaccurate. It's kind of like the go to "Everything happens for a reason" and "it'll all work out for the best" that people say whenever anything bad happens in your life. "They" just want you to feel better, even if it's a lie LOL.