Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Yes I have been checked by the dr and had low potassium and low vitamin D, which I was given supplements for.

I posted a typical day of eating earlier in this thread and I get between 1400 and 1800 calories a day.

This is moreso a vent but all the advice is much appreciated. I really need to stay away from the scale, but I am addicted to weighing every day.

Today I even started putting a tbs of acv in a glass of water.and drinking it. Some say it aids in weight loss and cellulite reduction.

Thank you all for the suporrt and advice. I did get my exercise in this morning and hopd to walk again later.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #32  
Empress/Queen

Never quit doing anything that is worth doing, no matter how long it takes or how many deadlines you don't meet.

Never, ever, ever quit.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #33  
Finding my own strength!

S/C/G: 219/214/150

Height: 5'6"

I feel your pain Ravenwolf, I really do. I have done everything and I do mean EVERYTHING to get this weight off and I honestly don't know what it is I'm doing wrong. Ok, that's a lie. I do know what I'm doing wrong but I don't know how to prevent it from happening. I get started and then I fall off again. I'm stronger than I give myself credit and so are you. It's going to take commitment and a lot of sweat combined with tears but you will get there. Stop looking at the scale and set goals for yourself for the week. Don't weigh yourself, measure yourself. Don't tell yourself that you're going to give up, tell yourself you're going to GET up!!
oddberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #34  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
I am 36 and this is not my first attempt. I hat that so much of my life has been fat. By the time the weight comes off, my kids will be grown and I will have missed out.

My husband and I are expected to be at the military ball in July. If I can't drop at least 40 I am not going. There is no way I will find a dress being 5 foot 2 and fat.

I haven't even been able to lose 5 pounds. Today my body feels like I got hit by a truck. And for what? Am I healthier for it?
Keep going and by the time you're my age the weight will be completely gone! The alternative isn't what you want. Don't give up.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #35  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha2 View Post
Never quit doing anything that is worth doing, no matter how long it takes or how many deadlines you don't meet.

Never, ever, ever quit.
^^ Love this!
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #36  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Seriously great advice so far on here. 3FC to the rescue again!

Please go to the ball in July, whether you lose the weight or don't. It is these things that you will look back on and regret. There are plenty of dresses for short, heavy women. I am your height and I thought I looked banging at my highest weight at the military balls. And like a previous poster mentioned, if you "only" lose thirty pounds by July, so what? That would still be awesome and would probably equal a smaller dress size or two.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #37  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Is giving up really an option?

I did that once when I regained the weight I lost. I lost 50 pounds. I was finally looking and feeling good and then life got busy, my schedule got all messed up and I started to see the scale go up. There was a lot more to it (and I've learned so much since then), but I really said to myself, "I will never diet again. I will never try to lose weight again. And i didn't for over a decade out of fear.

What happened? My health deteriorated. So did my relationship with my husband - and it wasn't just my physical appearance - but my lack of energy. my lethargy. I was a slug. Who wants to be married to a slug?

So, after a health scare, I got my act together. for one full year I just plugged along. I was doing great. This past year all I needed to do was work on fitness and drop the last few pounds. I was getting there, but then from May to December is was up and down and up and down with injuries, hectic schedule, vacations, and ending it all with holidays. I ended the year at 195 after getting to 165 in April.

I could easily give up. It's not working, right? It's too hard, right?

No... I got lazy with my eating. I gave into the carb monster that wreaks havoc on my system (and my head). I know what I need to do and I will do it again (and again and again if need be).

This isn't a one stop deal. It's a life long journey. For the rest of my life I will need to be vigilant. We ALLLLL should be. Even skinny people aren't usually skinny forever at some point we all have to start thinking about weight and We ALLLLLL should be thinking about fitness - skinny or not. It's the getting fit part that's the most imporant part and I'm proud of myself for not giving up on that even when I was gaining weight. I kept working out because that was the most important part of staying healthy.

So... don't think of it as an option to give up. If you were to do so, where would you be in a year? five years? Does it look pretty for your appearance or your health? probably not.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Please don't give up. The weight will eventually come off. Even in the absolutely remote case that it doesn't, changing to healthier habits will improve your overall health.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #39  

Height: 5'8.5"

I certainly feel your frustration... lately the plateaus are driving me up a wall! But giving up is not the solution.

And planning to lose 10 pounds a month is setting yourself up for disappointment and failure. That is highly unlikely to happen. Weight loss is a slow, methodical process fraught with frustrations along the way. But it can be done, and YOU can do it too!

Hang in there. And I would suggest that you search out the forum and involve yourself in some threads that encourage... it helps to develop a positive attitude towards it and even make the process fun!!

Go for it
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 232/214/185

Height: 5' 11'

Ravenwolf,

I used these words in a football presentation for our local team, but I think they work just as well here. They are from Jimmy Valvano's ESPY awards speech (check out the youtube video). Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
•"Don't give up, don't ever give up."

•"How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it."
weight2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #41  
Finding my own strength!

S/C/G: 219/214/150

Height: 5'6"

@weight2lose...love that! Love! Love!

another one I seen recently was...

'You can't start the next chapter in life if you keep re-reading the last one.'

Words I live by daily! Don't hate yourself for yesterday. Love yourself today!
oddberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I know it sounds like eating healthy has to equal deprivation, but it really doesn't. There are ways to make just about everything fit into a healthy eating plan. What is it that you really like to eat? You can either make the same things tweaked a bit or get the same flavor profile that you like. It helps tremendously when you don't feel like you're eating weird foods, because you're actually enjoying what you're eating.

Many of us are eating burgers, pizza, pasta, rice, etc. My way of eating these things and not going over my calorie budget is by incorporating a ton of non-starchy vegetables right into my dishes. Other foods like chilis and stews are naturally high in protein and easily low in fat/calories. They're also really filling and, for me, more appealing than raw veggies or a salad, especially in these cold winter months.

What is your goal for calories per day and what did your typical day look like before?
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #43  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

If you quit, you know what is going to happen- your weight will either stay the same or go up, leaving you worse off than before.

It's more difficult to continue, but at least it's something you haven't tried before. You have nothing to lose but weight.

I'm going to be brutally honest and say that if it even hurts to walk for more than a few miles a day, you have a problem and NEED to exercise your muscles to get them stronger! Once it hurts to walk, it's definitely taking away from your quality of life and possibly leading you to an early grave.

Last edited by jayohwhy; 01-15-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: grammar
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
In the morning I have low fat yogurt, a hard boiled egg, and a glass of milk or cofee, with measured creamer. I used to do a lot of sugar in my coffee but eliminated that.

Lunch is 1.5 cup spinach, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/2 a tomato, 1/4 cup cheese, and 50 calories worth of dressing. Dinner is a whatever we are having and I portion on amount of calories I have left open.

I drink at least 64 ounces of water flavored woth real lemon or cucumber slices.

I am 226 pounds and walk 30-45 minutes a day, which hurts but I do it.

Small changes don't add up. Gave up mayo, butter, cereals, potatoes, sugar in my coffee, soda, ice cream, and other things over the years and never saw any good out of it. I havd bread oncr a week with lean ham, slice of cheese, and topped with half a serving of low fat ranch.

Serving of pasta once every two to three weeks. Rice abput the same.
I haven't read all the replies, but here's my take on this...

It looks relatively low carb except for that yogurt and milk and possibly something at dinner. Plus, you're having your carbiest stuff in the morning when it's harder for our bodies to handle. Especially since it's such a small change for you at this point (just having to swap out the yogurt/milk at b'fast), I think you should try serious low carb. If you do that, you can add in some good fats and feel much more satisfied. (I wouldn't feel satisfied eating what you are, anyway.)

At least in the beginning, and for many people all the way through, a low carb weight loss journey, you don't have to worry about fat or portions (it's self limiting for most people, you just can't put away a ton of meat and cheese and egg) or calories. Just eat until you're full.

I would also put off the exercising. It's completely unnecessary for weight loss. It is great for health, though, so I'd bring it back in when you get down to a weight where it doesn't hurt. Also, if you're doing low carb, you'll have way more energy and you'll actually want to exercise when you get to the point that it's good for you. I am a serious couch potato and I actually hit a point, at about 170 pounds, where I wanted to move. Crazy!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

Height: 5'2"

So many of us have been there. But quitting gets us nowhere. Only behind.

I really think you need to up your cals at breakfast and lunch. In ALL my previous efforts to lose weight, I felt soooo deprived. Back in my early 20's, I lost 90 pounds. I regained a bunch, mostly because I was "dieting" and not changing my lifestyle. I ate SO wrong, and I couldn't keep up with it. I ate until 1200 calories and my types of foods totally didn't matter. Processed, 100 calorie packs, canned soups. I was sooooo hungry.

I've been trying to reform my foods. I eat lots of lean proteins, green smoothies, berry smoothies, etc. I'm REALLY satisfied and not at ALL deprived. And I'm staying more in the 1400-1600 range and losing. I feel lots better.

Maybe you just need to juggle your foods around, and types of foods? See what makes you feel satisfied, then you won't feel deprived.

But don't give up, you got this.
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote