Finally taking a long, hard look at my body...

• This hurts to write, but maybe that's what's going to make it empowering for me overall.

18 months ago, I weighed 152 lbs and ran the Toronto marathon. WOO!!! It was my biggest dream, only because it was the hardest thing I could think of to do...ever. I set my mind to it. I weighed 180 starting the marathon and omg...I sobbed crossing that finish line. Unfortunately, part of the reason I sobbed was due to the fact that I tore a ligament in my ankle in the race. Then, I moved to the Arctic a few months later...no running, depression from my injury, few wholesome foods and BAM, welcome to Sarah, 202 lb edition.

Last night, I noticed stretch marks on my body for the very first time. Tonight, I decided to take my before pics, and found a huge new stash on stretch marks...they practically appeared overnight! Or, rather, I've been ignoring my body for the last 18 months. I remember seeing 165 and thinking "Nah...not my scale". I remember my pants ripping through the upper thigh. "Pfft...I'll never buy that brand again". I remember seeing 185....190....I just ignored it.

While I am proud to say I am no longer ignoring, it was weird tonight. I looked at myself, fully naked in the mirror. I started to take note on what I love and what I want to change. Yup- the stretch marks SUCK. But then I thought..okay...so....they aren't going to go away by crying about it! Now I am trying to prevent more.

I also got a tattoo on my right hip in the summer, of my favourite quote from Rent saying 'No Day But Today'. I am PISSED that I have a two stretch marks in it! I was okay thinking that would happen from pregnancy one day, but I am not a tiger who has earned her stripes yet! Stretch marks are not badges of honour yet!

But, for now, they are going to fuel my hate fire! They are battle scars and maybe they will help me prove what I am about to do, here in 2013. Time to start living as if there truly is no day but today. Time to face my obstacle, head on, just like that damn marathon. I am no star runner...but if I could do that, I can do anything. Here are the lyrics that inspired me:

The heart may freeze or it can burn
    The pain will ease if I can learn

There is no future
    There is no past
    Thank God this moment's not the last

There's only us
    There's only this
    Forget regret-- or life is yours to miss.
    No other road
    No other way
    No day but today

For me, it's truly time to let go. Let go of the guilt and the blame...and just ...be. Feeling down, but feeling...ready.

Let it begin.
  • I know how you feel about the stretch marks. But trust me, they DO fade. Even though they may look purple now, eventually they'll be the same color as your skin (although shinier looking.) I used to never wear anything above the knee because I was embarrassed about the marks on the backs of my knees...now they've faded and I don't even think about them. Like most things, they just take time to get better.

And remember, most people have at least some stretch marks, even guys. They are annoying but really nothing unusual. I wish you all the best!