Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Default Feeling resentful of vacation

Next week, I'm leaving to go on vacation for a month (to Japan!!) to spend the holidays with the in-laws. And even though I'm SUPER excited, I also find that, I have to admit, I'm feeling a little bit resentful of the intrusion a vacation is going to be to my weight-loss efforts.

I feel a little bit badly, like selfish maybe?, for feeling like this.... It's just that I've finally found a routine that WORKS for me, have been losing weight happily and effortlessly, and am finally settling into a place where I'm really pleased with my body. And so part of me really wishes I could just keep doing like I'm doing. It's like, I've only just gotten to this good place, and I wish I had more time to keep to my same eating and exercise to really cement it.

I know that vacation doesn't have to mean going crazy and gaining weight, and I intend to stick with exercising and eating well as much as I can, for happiness and health's sake. I just don't even want to have to bother with the adjustment, when right now keeping healthy habits is so easy!

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #2  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I have to go to FL to visit the in-laws over xmas. I totally get it. I don't want to be prancing around Disneyworld and hogwarts and being bombarded with my MIL's cookies and sweets she passes around. Or her beef pot roast at EVERY dang meal.

I tried to talk my husband into letting me stay home with the dog, but that was a no go..
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Yes and no. I've got a trip coming up in 2 weeks and I know it will be tough. I'm eating paleo, and my parents are big on carbs. I expect I'll get some comments, but I also know my parents will try to be supportive even if they don't agree. I also know I will need to be a little flexible and if mom makes mashed potatoes and peas to go with Christmas dinner I better eat some. It's just how it is, a little give and take on both sides, and I'll just get back on the wagon when I get back home.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Eat like the Japanese do. You won't be bothered with weight.

Seriously.
A friend of mine who's been living in Japan for years came back to France for a few days, and as we were having lunch together, she told me she found portions here huge, compared to what they eat in Japan and what is usually served in restaurants there. So enjoy your holidays, and enjoy the food (served in smaller portions ) without worrying too much.

But yeah, I know the feeling. At first I was really worried every time I wouldn't be home, wouldn't be the one cooking... The feeling subsided with each passing year. But I admit it also helps that I'm a very active person when on holidays, which counterbalances any overeating I might accidentally do.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

I completely understand! I'm in college and Im going home for the holidays for about 3.5 weeks. I live alone, have a gym in my apartment and cook for myself so Ive had a relatively easy time creating a routine.

I'm worried that when I get home I'll have a harder time working out b/c the gym won't be so accessible and I'll be tempted by all the food my family will be eating (they certainly aren't on diets, but are supportive nonetheless). I've told them Im eating healthier, and they are supportive, but I'm the type of person "if it's in the house, I'll eat it"

I dont have the self control down yet, not to mention the xmas holiday! My family is notorious for cooking huge meals and having leftovers for weeks!

I was actually happy I didn't go home for Thanksgiving (I know it's terrible) b/c I didn't want to be tempted.

It's just I know myself. Every time I go home for an extended period of time, I eat all my fav foods, fall off the wagon, and gain weight. I've been working so hard I don't want to take the chance of losing all this progress Ive made! eek!
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #6  

Vacation means breaking the routine that works and that you're used to. Yes, I do understand that!! Just try to keep up with your IF in a way that works with the other people and surroundings you are in. Try to keep up with your exercise- helps to burn more calories and helps to keep my mental state better (probably true for most). What is your exercise?
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone, good to know I'm not the only one!

I'm definitely going to keep up exercising as well as I can, hopefully find a gym to lift at. Of course I'm sure we'll be getting plenty of activity going places as well.

I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be able to make things work. I just have to make sure I don't feel pressured to follow my husband's lead all the time-- he's SUPER SUPER excited to go back for the visit mostly because he misses the food, so he's going to be really going to town, haha, but that doesn't mean I have to too. Gonna keep my portion indulgences to one dinner a week at so, keep up with my IF-ing as well as I can, and like someone mentioned, just stick to regular portions the rest of the time. That's my plan, anyway!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #8  

Let your DH eat some of those missed meals *alone*!

I feel where you're coming from- I have a 3 week vacay coming right up!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #9  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I know what you mean, I tend to overdo it even when I "go on vacation" aka visit family for even one day - I'd be nervous about a whole month, yikes! It's hard if you don't prepare your food yourself. It sounds like you've got a handle on things though, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4

I think a lot of us have been there. I am facing that right now; going 'home' to see my husband is such a blessing, and I'm really excited for our Christmas events but not overdoing it is always a challenge and days spent flying back and forth are usually days I'm not able to get to the gym.

Not only that but I was looking forward to another nice long stretch after the holidays to buckle down and work off any small bit (fingers crossed for small anyway...) I might gain from that trip...

... but now I have another one not 10 days later!

All we can do is try to keep focused for the most part and remember that what happens on vacation does not STAY on vacation. Those pounds come back with us! It's a challenge for sure, but I think with you being gone for nearly a month you might be able to get into a good routine and maintain your current fitness.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #11  

Thanks, guys, for the encouragement!! I'm feeling much better now than I was just a few hours ago, haha.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Wanted to wish you good luck and safe travels!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote