Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #1  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Default lets pretend for a minute

hi chickies, my infinite source of wisdom, and support.

i'm having a little bit of a rough time right now. "growing pains" of sorts.

cole's notes of the back story: lost 100 lbs. (over 2.5 years, with a slight regain, and a long break) - about 60 lbs, 15 lb regain, 55 loss). obviously, just like life, i am cyclical. i moved home- from 450 kms, and 5 years away in april (home- my mom's place, and her common law- whom i haven't spoken a word to in about 8 years- fact of life, c'est la vie, its a story for another day). i currently live at home. work about 1,5 hours away from home (public transportation commute) in a fantastic job, which i love- granted i've only been there for 2 weeks. major life change. i am also in school 1 night a week, do as much bikram yoga as i humanly can (only about 3-4x a week at the moment) and i am looking to buy a condo.

the source of my grief- living at home. solution? change it. i am working on it but that's a gradual process- so i am currently living at home.

i have no issue cooking my own meals, meal planning, getting healthy groceries, etc. i have no issues with control in going out, in binging on junk food (mostly no issues there lol) or motivation. you know- no force more powerful then 1 determined woman. ha.

anyways- the point of this ramble. i've gotten into some nasty habits in the last 2 weeks. when i get home from work, i am 1. HUNGRY. 2. CRANKY. (at this point, i've been up for about 12.5 hours, and need privacy, food and studio time).

the issue is- when i do finally get home, i am confronted by a mother, who just wants to talk. speak. tell me stories. etc. she wants to help me any way she can. which, i wholeheartedly appreciate- and i am a complete jerk for saying this- but i just want privacy, and to be left alone. this obviously leads to the fridge. this situation cannot be changed for the next 6-8 weeks minimum as i find a condo, make an offer, buy, reno/move etc.

so, lets pretend that i am a newbie. i am looking to lose about 10 more lbs (ticker weight is currently correct give or take about 5 lbs).

my current major issue is night time binging.

i have healthy habits, water intake, exercise, etc etc. so the issue is food consumption.

now- given the scenario- and me being a complete "newbie" to all of this- what suggestions do you have in regards to food consumption? what suggestions do you have to avoid this.... nighttime stress freakout thing ?

any particular food combinations you find satiating?

from 6 am to 6 30 pm i do about 1 000 cals. in coffee (skim milk), hardboiled eggs, oatmeal bake, cottage cheese, a protein+starchy veg, a peice of fruit, and then about 200 grams of whatever veg is in the fridge (raw) + a babybell. sometimes a rice cake or two (i sub in/out lower/higher cal greek yogurts for the cottage cheese, give/take with the eggs)

what am i missing? what would you cook for dinner? if you had about 600 cals to play with between 6 30 pm and about 11 pm.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't have any advice because my own eating habits aren't that wonderful. I just wanted to say that you are doing really well considering your circumstances. You continue to respect your mother, which, being a mother myself, I appreciate. You seem to be working towards a good end with buying a condo. You have learned some really good eating habits which I am sure will serve you well when you have your own home.

If it were I, I would do my darnedest to maintain for the time being. I know it isn't good to procrastinate or say "I'll diet when my life is perfect", but I think you need to be as kind to yourself as possible right now. You have a lot going on and with that commute, I imagine you are pretty tired, too.

My thoughts are with you and I can't wait to see what condo you get. I am a fan of the real estate shows on HGTV and there are quite a few about housing in Toronto.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi newbie! I'm no nutrition expert, but I usually eat about 600 calories between dinner and dessert and end up very satisfied. I usually have a glass of milk, a small protein, and half a plate worth of fruits and veggies. For dessert, I usually eat a Skinny Cow. All this leaves me very satisfied until morning.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #4  
Warrior Princess

Problem is I'm not a binge eater so it's easy for me to say eat a salad for dinner (I get the pre-made ones at the store that are 550 cals) and then if you're still hungry throw in a low fat string cheese stick. If I'm still hungry after that, too bad. I tend not to splurge at dinner because that's the meal that will make or break my progress. If I cheat it's always lunch and then I make sure to bust butt on my workout that night.

Just don't do it, girl!! Again, I know it's easier said than done.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimkovs View Post
what am i missing? what would you cook for dinner? if you had about 600 cals to play with between 6 30 pm and about 11 pm.
soup? - Broccoli Soup (not using cream, just low calorie cheese)
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #6  
Dedicated Yogi

gailr42 Hi! Thank you. That was exactly what I needed. I am currently hanging on by the skin of my teeth- but I am sure you know what your body feels like when you're just not eating well. It's heavy. and bloated.

HGTV- good place. Great shows! If you ever see anybody buying stuff around the st lawrence market- you'll see my issues exactly ha ha ha.

moving forward- protein/ fruit. makes sense to me as a snack- but not as a meal. weird. i will try immediately!

novangel i wasn't one either until i moved home. the problem is- i cook wholesome nutritious meal. if i were to be living at alone/in my own place- i would eat it, and be done, whereas here there are delicious cooked foods, that are the sole exact reason that my weight problem exists (Seriously- all carbs, and oils and fats no protein. just to ballpark, i eat about 65% of my calories from protein- which is the most satiating, which means all the "homecooked" meals here, just make me hungrier.

Last edited by stimkovs; 11-15-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think you're very good to give your mom the time to talk. I also think it's awesome that you know what's triggering your over-eating.

Would it be possible for you to ask her if you could go take a bath or shower to unwind after work? Then you can chat with her once you've decompressed. Let her know that you'd be glad to talk to her but that you need some time to unwind. If that's not an option, then maybe figure out ways for you to calm down without turning to food. You're using it to soothe your nerves. Maybe you could do stretches while you talk to her? Sounds weird but maybe something weird would work. Maybe you could go with her for a walk? That way, she gets to talk and you're away from the yummy foods. It might help you calm down too.

Those are just some ideas but the point is to find something you can do other than eat. Maybe paint your nails or massage your feet with lotion. How about chewing gum or drinking some hot tea? I love all the holiday teas out now. Maybe make a big pot of veggie soup and just have that instead, if nothing else works. Try to plan your foods for the evening and make the food off limits once you've had everything in your plan. You can still have your foods, but just put them all in one dish and don't go for seconds.

You can do this!

Last edited by luckymommy; 11-15-2012 at 07:30 AM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
...Maybe you could go with her for a walk? That way, she gets to talk and you're away from the yummy foods. It might help you calm down too.
I just want to chime in and say that I LOVE this idea. It sounds like it might actually be a great bonding thing for you two to do, it would give you BOTH some exercise, and it would keep you away from those binge foods!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #9  
Dedicated Yogi

thank you all for the beautiful advice- i am detoxing today a little- calmer somehow, not as hungry (for now). and excited to go to the studio!

i am going to a seminar held by a VERY senior and respected bikram teacher in the city i went to school on saturday morning, it's going to be a tough 5 hour drive there and back, as well as a vigorous 9 hour day- lets hope that last weeks eating can be tamed in the next 2 days because nobody wants to feel bloaty binge in tiny short shorts and a sports bra (Seriously, google image bikram yoga, and look at the typical outfits- one good reason TO NEVER EAT AGAIN, EVER) hahahaha. totally a source of anxiety.

i'm also seeing 6 condos tomorrow night.

as for the mother/walking/soup thing - my mother, is carbosaurus rex. she doesn't comprehend working out/walking / not eating bread. lets hope one of these condos works out!