Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
It's gotten to where I cut off even water early evening because I don't want it to reflect on the scale the next day. Calorie content being equal I have been choosing foods that weigh less than other foods because I feel like maybe it'll make some small difference on the scale the next day .
Me too, me too.
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Stephanie - the behaviors that you mentioned are the exact ones I was having which played a role in why I made the decision to go long periods without weighing. I support you fully! Like ArticMama said...it can do some good to your mind to focus on behaviors rather than results for a while...I think it will help put you in a better headspace. Then, once you and the scale have developed a healthy relationship again, you can go back to more frequently if it suits you.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #18  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottainai View Post
Me too, me too.
Ditto

When I went to WW (and the only reason I went was to weigh in, I NEVER stayed for the meeting) I would do crazy things like not wear socks or underwear thinking that it would make a difference! Not to mention not eat or drink anything before hand thinking that would help as well... Definitely not healthy and ultimately not helpful for my weight loss... Thankfully for me and my sanity I got over it and now the scale doesn't make me nearly as crazy... I don't always like what I see, but now at least I don't react to it by doing things that I know don't work for me anymore...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Good luck, Stephanie. You have such a fantastic outlook and have a real handle on your personal situation. I love reading your posts and know you know what you're doing, so this has to be the best thing for you right now. Just don't lock onto the 6 week thing if you feel you need to / want to / have to go back to weighing more often than once a week.

When I was losing, I weighed almost every day but only wrote down what I weighed on Wednesday. No other number counted or mattered. Maybe you'll get to that point after a few weeks. I find that now that I'm maintaining, I do better (read: stay on plan to a higher degree) when I weigh more often. We all have to do what works.

You are so close to your goal and I'm betting that's why the scale holds so much power right now. I know you'll be successful in this little quirky stage of losing weight. Hang in there.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
It's gotten to where I cut off even water early evening because I don't want it to reflect on the scale the next day. Calorie content being equal I have been choosing foods that weigh less than other foods because I feel like maybe it'll make some small difference on the scale the next day.
I'm also guilty of doing the above at times. I'll find myself thinking, "I know this cauliflower is healthy and low-cal, but it weighs a lot, so if I don't excrete it by tomorrow morning the number on the scale will go up. Think I'll have some cheese instead." Crazy how we let that number dictate our lives.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #21  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I can't tell you ladies what a relief it is that so many of you relate to the scale issues. This is exactly why I love 3FC so much, no judgement, just honesty and support, and a good kick in the pants every now and then when needed.

And, Lin, I think you're right about it having such a hold on me because I'm close to goal. I've changed my goal weight about 4 times in the last 2 weeks, making it lower and lower just so it's further away (changed it back to a higher number now just for sanity's sake). I'm more than a little freaked about being so close.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #22  

Height: 5'4

You know I support ya.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #23  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Wow, thank you 3FC. Here I was having my own personal scale dilemma, and I logged on to read this post.

OP, good luck in your mission to stay off the scales, and well done for making your pledge public and getting something that clearly effects so many of us out in the open.

I was getting obsessed by the scales when I last lived in the UK, but haven't been on any at all in the last 6 weeks. I've also not been doing my eating and exercise right either. I jumped back on it yesterday, and boy does it feel good to know I'm making good choices again. But, the one thing eating me up was getting on scales. I don't own any, don't even know where I can go to buy a decent pair so I was going to go and use some electronic ones outside a shop, once a week or so. BUT, the idea of doing that just filled me with dread, I can't face getting back on something that took over my life and then know I can't jump on and off whenever I like. So, I made the decision not to weigh, ever. Well, until I'm back in the UK in a few months. I'll eat right, exercise right and hopefully see plenty of other good changes, but I won't weigh until I'm home. That thought fills me with so much relief! And I thought that was really strange. So, it's really comforting to read that many others have issues relating to the scales and the numbers.

Thank you for sharing
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I started out weighing everyday because if I was gaining I wanted to know before it got out of hand. But now I'm getting to the point that if I feel like I gained, I won't get weighed. I don't let it go longer than a week, though.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #25  
Stephanie

GAH! My public pledge did not help me entirely as I weighed myself this morning. Felt obligated to confess! Seeing as how today is Thursday and I had not weighed since Monday, that's still a really big step for me!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #26  

I'm known for having this problem as well. It's bad when you know what your morning, afternoon and evening weight is - to the ounce. It's an obsession that only makes you beat yourself up more. I'm also working to knock this behavior off. Good for you for taking the first step! I think I'll join you!
my25reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #27  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

I weigh myself everyday too! But only in the morning, after going to the bathroom but before eating, that's the accurate weight. Anytime when you weigh after you already ate, even if it's hours later, it's not accurate so it ends up being a waste of time.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #28  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
I weigh myself everyday too! But only in the morning, after going to the bathroom but before eating, that's the accurate weight. Anytime when you weigh after you already ate, even if it's hours later, it's not accurate so it ends up being a waste of time.
Yes, I know the logic behind it for sure. But it's not a logical issue, that's why it's such a problem for me!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #29  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Quote:
Yes, I know the logic behind it for sure. But it's not a logical issue, that's why it's such a problem for me!
yeah, I know, it's a psychological thing. Same with me and a lot of us too! I tried to commit to not weighing everyday but I can't commit. It's so hard to not know what the numbers will be.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 224/Ticker/140

Height: 5"3

I'm literally in tears...I'm not alone and I felt like I have been for a long time. The scale and I are not having a good relationship as of late and it's really messing with my head. I'm losing inches so I know logically I'm OK for the most part, but I'm gaining weight and it's killing my motivation. I need to take this pledge too, but I'm not sure if I can. It was easier to quit smoking and give up chocolate!!
strutter5150 is offline   Reply With Quote