Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:25 AM   #151  

Smile TO SHARE

Subject: Bob's letter
>
>
>
> Treat Your Wife with Consideration
> By Bob
>
> It is important for men to remember that as women grow older it becomes
> harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as they did
> when they were younger. When men notice this, they should try not to
> yell. Let me relate how I handle the situation.
>
> When I got laid off from my consulting job and took "early retirement" in
> January, it became necessary for Nancy to get a full-time job, both for
> extra income and for health benefits that we need. She was a trained
> medical transcriptionist when we met twenty-eight years ago and was
> fortunate to land a job at a local transcription house. It was shortly
> after she started working at this job that I noticed that she was
> beginning to show her age.
>
> I usually get home from fishing or hunting about the same time she gets
> home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always
> says that she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts supper.
> I try not to yell at her when this happens. Instead, I tell her to take
> her time, I understand that she is not as young as she used to be. I just
> tell her to wake me when she finally does get supper on the table.
>
> She used to wash and dry the dishes as soon as we finished eating. It is
> now not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after
> supper. I do what I can by reminding her several times each evening that
> they aren't cleaning themselves. I know she appreciates this,
> as it does seem to help her get them done before she goes to bed.
>
> Our washer and dryer are in the basement. When she was younger, Nancy used
> to be able to go up and down stairs all day long and not get tired.
> Now that she is older she seems to get tired so much more quickly.
> Sometimes she says she just can't make another trip down those steps. I
> don't make a big issue of this. As long as she finishes up the laundry the
> next evening I am willing to overlook it. If I need something ironed to
> wear to the Monday lodge meeting or to Wednesday or Saturday poker club or
> Tuesday or Thursday bowling or something like that, I will tell
> her to wait until the next evening to do the ironing. This gives her a
> little more time to do some of those odds and ends things like shampooing
> the dog, vacuuming or dusting. Also, if I have had a really good day
> fishing, this allows her to gut and scale the fish at a more leisurely
> pace.
>
> Nancy is starting to complain a little occasionally. Not often, mind you,
> but just enough for me to notice. For example, she will say that it
> is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during lunch
> hour. In spite of her complaining, I continue to try to offer
> encouragement.
> I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she
> won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing
> lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any, if you know what I
> mean.
>
> When doing simple jobs she seems to think she needs more rest periods that
> she used to have to take. A couple of weeks ago she said she had
> to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I
> overlook comments like these because I realize it's just age talking. In
> fact, I
> try not to embarrass her when she needs these little extra rest breaks. I
> tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed
> lemonade and just sit for a while. I even offer to have one with her, as
> she may as well make one for me too, and take her break by the hammock
> so she can talk with me until I fall asleep.
>
> I could go on and on, but I think you know where I'm coming from.
>
> I know I probably look like a saint in the way I support Nancy on a daily
> basis. I'm not saying that the ability to show this much consideration
> is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible.
>
> NO one knows better than I how frustrating women can become as they get
> older. My purpose in writing this is simply to suggest you make the
> effort. Achieving the exemplary level of consideration I have attained is
> out of reach for the average man. However, guys, even if you just
> yell at your wife a little less often because of this article, I will
> consider that writing it was worthwhile.
>
> Bob
>
> (editor's note: Bob's funeral was on Saturday. Nancy was acquitted
> Monday)

Old 05-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #152  
deleted2

Kaylets, oh that Bob! Heart o' Gold, That's all I have to say!

I loved your post today too, Kaylets. Definitely food for thought---am I being a good friend to myself? I'm going to print your post and carry it around with me!

Old 05-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #153  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Too early for Demon Scale and still on deadline, so just another ... Kaylets, Bob sounds like some people I know!

Re better choices, I know I am making them since I started my BFL challenge ... but I still long for a scale victory ... we shall see!!!

Re question about mothers ... to me, the role of mothers has changed to the extent that it now should (IMO) encompass a component of passing on to sons and daughters a message of total equality between all genders ... that all genders can and should pursue all options available in the universe and that no gender may be allowed to accept less than full equality, respect and empowerment in all parts of the world ... this starts with mothers and fathers alike and must be passed on to children in infancy and continually reinforced by words, deeds and attitudes, as well as by political action.

Ok, have to finish the story from heck. Will return to challenge thread with weigh-in news later!!!

Avanti, all!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:32 AM   #154  

Smile Marvelous Monday!

Hello all!!

Still adjusting to DH's new schedule! But its worth it to see the difference in him!
Today's thought is:

"We find good in others as we find good in ourselves" --- Unknown
========================================
Today's question of the day:
"Do you ever do something against your friend's/parents wishes?"-- Table Topics
=========================================

Take care!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:19 AM   #155  
Momma Frog

5 MORE DAYS (after today!) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to share that! I can't believe it! And there is so much more to do. I feel like I'm never going to get done!!

Speaking of getting done! I've got work to do. AKKKK! I be back later!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:26 AM   #156  
Empress/Queen

Frogger: WTG! It'll all get done, don't worry.

Kaylets: The short answer to the question o' the day is "all the time!!"

Sorry, brevity prevails as must get to gym! Gotta stay on schedule for the gorgeous train!
Old 05-12-2003, 11:37 AM   #157  

Good morning, Regal Ladies!

Kaylets, on QOD, two answers "Of Course" and "Why Not". Glad dh is happier re job.

Glad to "see" you, Empress.

Frogger, these five days will be the longest and the shortest of your life. Enjoy!

Wildfire, I reread my nite lite shade answer. Poor one. It's beads strung on TEN 2 inch pins which are then wired together with beads at top and bottom, two beads between pins at bottoms, one at top so it ends up with a little dome shape and fits snugly over a standard night light.

DS/DDIL just left. Nice weekend, they'll be back in two weeks.
Weeded a bit earlier, good thing as it's showering again now. Got several good walks in over the weekend. One with the young'uns who worked me out a lot more than dh.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:46 AM   #158  

Smile Tempting Tuesday!

Hello all!!

Toastmasters is having their fund raiser today! BAKESALE!! Wish me luck!

Just a quick thought regarding staying with the thread--( I know this was discussed about 2 weeks ago but its on my mind this am) I am a very slow loser ( thanks perimenopause!!) so I figure I may not see goal for about a year-- I know I'll be looking for support afterwards too---Some threads do show an ebb and flow as people find other things in their lives keeping them busy-- As long as we all remember it doesnt matter what the scale says-- WE NEED YOU HERE!! (sorry, was I yelling??)

Today's thought is: " The sun not only shines on us, but also within us." --- John Rushkin

==================================
Today's question is: "Some of my friends drink and drive. What should I do?"--- Table Topics
===================================

I'm late, I'm late-
Old 05-13-2003, 07:01 AM   #159  
Hot Stuff

Morning, all.

I'm coming up on a 4-day weekend, and boy do I need it! Four glorious days away from co-workers and boss!

So as much as I hate the thought of being at work today, after today there are just two more days...then FOUR days off! It's going to get me through the day!

Kaylets, I agree! And I'll be around for a long, long time yet.

Anagram, that makes much more sense! Sounds cute, too...I may have to try it.

FOUR MORE DAYS, Frogger!

Have to run, will be back at some point today/tonight! Have a terrific Tuesday, all!
Old 05-13-2003, 07:08 AM   #160  
Momma Frog

Good Morning all!! Yesterday was filled with two psuedo wedding delemas. For one, the DJ called and asked for payment. Ummm, I paid you on April 28th I have the payment confirmation right here. It took them half an hour to find record of that. Someone forgot to file it in the paid file.
The second was my MOH (mind you yesterday was 5 day countdown) calls me up and says, I just went and got my dress back from the alteration people because they wanted $85 to alter it. I asked her when she took it to them, she said friday. As in last friday, a week before she needed it. There's you're markup. She asks do you think that we can buy a new dress? NO!!!!!!!!! You can buy a new dress, I already bought a dress for you in January. You should have taken to the seamstress THEN!!!
So my mom looks at it and my future MIL looks at it and they said all that needs to be done to it cannot be done with 5 days left to go. So she calls up one of her friends who has a very lovely lavender dress she has apparently been offering her since she found out the MOH was in the wedding. (FOR FREE!!!!!!! Whilst I spent $180 on a dress for her) All that needs to be done to this one is a little tuck on both sides under the arms (around the chest area). I can do that myself. She even let her borrow the shoes she wore with the dress. Things I could have known in January. ANYWAY!!! Sorry to vent!

I shall officially weigh in for the Victoria Day count this Thursday morning since I will probebly not be on friday with all the stuff I have to do and then be on my honeymoon starting Sunday. I'm hoping for a 2lb loss. (OK so I'm hoping another 20lbs has come off but lets be real!)

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm hoping that this week is slow with work, like I need more stress with having to actually work! LOL
Old 05-13-2003, 10:13 AM   #161  
Empress/Queen

Yo!!! As I wrote on the 12-week challenge thread, the BAB (Bad Attitude Boys, an evil gang of master criminals that steal happiness and fitness resolutions, replacing them with negative thoughts and excuses and selling the good resolutions on the internet) snuck in here today with a doughnut and a suggestion to go back to bed instead of get on with gym. Luckily, I recognized that sneak thief and archdemon for what he was an told him to get outta town!!!

Kaylets, I think the sun (of good health and fitness) IS really shining within me now!! It has been the 12-week challenge and the BFL competition that has really made the difference this time. I feel totally committed to the new lifestyle and NO MORE EXCUSES!

BAB hasn't got a chance in this house ... although Old Dog seemed to want to eat the doughnut. I threw it in the trash, though!!! Amazing how BAB and doughnuts can sneak into the house without me being aware of it!

Re the Victoria Day Challenge, I'm not sure what my goal really was but I'm using my current weight as the result. I've succeeded in so many ways but the scale isn't one of them ... but the two jean size loss tells the tale of how my 12-week challenge is going.

Re the question: There is NO question. I know too many people who aren't alive anymore because of drunk drivers or drinking and driving. I would tell my friends that if I observed them drinking and driving, I would call the police. I would tell them that drinking and driving is like having a loaded gun and shooting it any time you feel like doing so .. you might not hit anybody the first time, but eventually, you will.

Avanti!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #162  
Empress/Queen

Happy honeymoon, FROGGER!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 02:10 PM   #163  
Is it Friday yet?

I made it!

Why does it feel like Thursday when it's only Tuesday?? It seems excessively cruel for it to be this way....

I got my bellydancing DVD's yesterday and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! What a blast! Granted, I'm sore in places that haven't moved in years - or *ever* but it was so much fun and the 30 minutes was over in a flash. Thank you Eydie!!!!

Wildfire - Yea, I was supposed to get my computer last weekend but now she wants to put more RAM in it - soon I'm going to just kidnap my computer back from her. Can't complain about free work I guess?

Kaylets - *LOVED* your post about being friends to ourselves. I know I tell my girlfriends they're doing great - and when I do the same I don't think it's good enough. We're our own worse critic, it's true.
I will be here, on this thread or any other that we're all on for as long as 3FC is around. I need you all while I'm loosing, while I'm maintaining and just because.... I enjoy the exchange of energy here - giving and receiving - it's just great, regardless of the topic.

Frogger - Your MOH waited till now??????? Well, at least things worked out... good reason for a panic attack though - I would've told her to whip out a check for $85 and DO IT!
I bet you're SO excited right now - it's all just a matter of hours now (sorry, didn't mean to make you more nervous!).

Anagram - Too bad I'm too late - I was about to drive to your house for dinner! Your menu sounded delish!

Welcome back from the abyss HRH Amarantha!

Q o' the day - You walk.

Terri
Old 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM   #164  
deleted2

I'm still hanging in there--sometimes hanging by a thread, but I'm here!

Frogger, bet it all seems kind of surreal and has a life of its own, doesn't it? Tick Tock........

Amarantha, I had a BAB moment this past Sunday. After buying some terrifically sexy jeans for myself Saturday night--I woke up Sunday morning not wanting to exercise, and just generally wanting to be a slug all day. It's as if something takes over my brain to keep me from getting too 'uppity', keeps me from feeling 'too' good about myself. At least I'm aware of it. Same old fear of success....sigh.

Punkin, I'm so happy for you! Do you not feel like a slithery snake goddess?!!!! What's your favorite? I did 2 yesterday [fat-burning and hips and thighs] and the time just flew by!

Old 05-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #165  

I'd love to see pics of you Queens in your veils. You do discover muscles you didn't know you have. Hip rolls, please.

Wildfire, have a wonderful, relaxing four days.

Kaylets, as to hanging with the thread, I plan to be here whatever it might next be called. I've expressed before how much it has meant to me to have the support you've all given me the last few months and I've become addicted to that good friendship.

Eydie, I know that "something taking over my brain" feeling. Those BABs have me in their clutches and I've fallen for a lot of their tricks the last few days.

Frogger, that MOH situation is beyond belief. Maybe that will be the worst and last of your headaches. Nothing you can do, I guess, except try to stay calm and collected. (I don't think they're really going to expect too much of you at work at this time.)

Empress, glad to hear of your BFL success. And pleasure.

Arabella, Ceara, dollar, wsw - hi and good health.

Dh is supposed to have port removed from neck tomorrow and I seem to be on pins and needles about it more than he is. We drove north today to take a belated gift to the Queen Mum and stopped for a pleasant meal on the way home at a place we like but don't usually drive that far out of the way to visit. I've been planting flowers, mulching and generally trying to use my nervous energy constructively.

And tomorrow we're supposed to have sunshine for the first and only day this week! I loved the "sunshine within us" quote as that's what I've been telling dh each and every cloudy/rainy day - that I have sunshine in my soul.

NSV for the day - today I wore another outfit for the last time. Too Big.......Yay!
Closed Thread